MacInsiders Logo

Tell me about the porgram you're in :)

Old 10-07-2010 at 06:46 PM   #31
teedee

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
Make sure you have a back up plan if you do not get accepted into medical school. My plan B is to do my HSM MBA at Mac.
I actually want to be a vet, so I plan on applying to a veterinary college (Guelph) so back up plan would be medical school... haha :(
Old 10-07-2010 at 06:48 PM   #32
teedee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
I'm in ChemBio, and I love it!
I started off in Life Sci, with the intention of doing something bio-related...but then I decided in first year that I don't like the bio dept at Mac (More on an administrative level/how the courses are run), and most of the bio courses didn't seem THAT appealing to me. On the other hand, I loved first-year chem, and did well in it, and I still had an interest in bio, so chembio was perfect!
I love that it's a super-small program (there are 16 kids in my year), and I'm in the 2nd year it's being run, so the profs are all really involved and really care about making it a good program. They take our feedback seriously. I LOVE that it's so small...such a nice change after first-year life sci, which is ginormous. Like, there's 2500 kids in chem 1A03/1E03...that's insane! With the exception of my elective, none of my classes this year are even big enough to be held in a lecture hall.
Since we're so small, we also get access to tons of cool equipment, that they wouldn't be able to afford if the program was bigger (ie more than 30ish).
A lot of people think they shouldn't do chembio if they want to go to med school because their marks won't be good enough, but 3-4 people in the year above me (currently in 4th year) left the program early to go to med school, so it's definitely possible.
Are you planning on going to med school?
Old 10-07-2010 at 06:52 PM   #33
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedee View Post
Are you planning on going to med school?
I'm about 95% sure I don't want to.
There's a possibility I'll change my mind, but it's not likely
Old 10-07-2010 at 06:54 PM   #34
teedee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
I'm about 95% sure I don't want to.
There's a possibility I'll change my mind, but it's not likely
What job(s) are you interested in? (I want to know the potential of ChemBio)
Old 10-07-2010 at 06:56 PM   #35
drhorrible

Liked: 98 Times

Another word of advice: your interests and goals may very well change once you're in university. When you get to picking your courses, regardless of what program you end up in, choose courses that appeal to you and not what you might think is going to be easy. When you really enjoy a course, you'll end up doing really well in it most of the time AND you'll actually get something out of it. Don't be afraid to explore other programs if something else that catches your interest. As someone else mentioned earlier, if you absolutely can't make up your mind, do something general like Life Science. You can always switch into a more specialized program in second year. I'm not sure if the Health Sciences policy has changed, but I know two people who were in General Science I (a few years back, before they accepted people directly into Life Science) that switched into Health Sci in second year and finished the same time as me. (I was in Biology and now in Accelerated Nursing, FYI so that the program listed in my info doesn't confuse you ) Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

teedee says thanks to drhorrible for this post.
Old 10-07-2010 at 06:56 PM   #36
mac-gal

Liked: 6 Times

KINESIOLOGY.

But honestly, take a look at the course descriptions in the undergrad calendar. That's what helped me make my choice, seeing what I actually learned about once in.

Here's the link:
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...rrent/pg4.html

teedee says thanks to mac-gal for this post.

arathbon, jade177 like this.
Old 10-07-2010 at 07:01 PM   #37
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING ENGINEERING

who else would you turn to when robots take over?

Not to mention we would serve as good quick thinkers during a zombie apocalypse.

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

justinsftw, micadjems, teedee like this.
Old 10-07-2010 at 07:02 PM   #38
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

Honours Bio is awesome btw, its what i switched into after being in first year life sci.
Old 10-07-2010 at 07:10 PM   #39
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedee View Post
What job(s) are you interested in? (I want to know the potential of ChemBio)
I'm interested in some sort of drug-related job. I'm in co-op right now, so I want to explore a lot of the different drug-related areas I can work in (pharmaceuticals, research companies, etc and I also want to do a placement in an academic lab) and figure out if I want to do something related to drug design/development (and if so, which part of it I'd like to focus on). I'm taking a course in medicinal chemistry that I love, but it will depend on how I like doing the actual work.
I'm also considering becoming a pharmacist (as are several others in my program). It depends on the person, though. Some people prefer the analytical side of things (which I definitely don't). Pretty much anything you can do with a biochem degree you could also do with a chembio degree, and you can also do many things that a chem degree would lead to.

Lois says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 10-07-2010 at 07:11 PM   #40
pavlov

Liked: 72 Times

Being an engineering graduate make sure it is a field you really want to get into. Its a field that requires you to want to be there. From my own experience, I have seen people in my program that should not have been there simple by their lack of enthusiasm and struggles in the program. As well, decide which discipline most interests you most. However, saying that I don't want to stray you away from the field because it can be a very amazing degree to pursue. Good luck, and ask away if you have any questions.

teedee says thanks to pavlov for this post.
Old 10-07-2010 at 07:16 PM   #41
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlov View Post
Being an engineering graduate make sure it is a field you really want to get into. Its a field that requires you to want to be there. From my own experience, I have seen people in my program that should not have been there simple by their lack of enthusiasm and struggles in the program. As well, decide which discipline most interests you most. However, saying that I don't want to stray you away from the field because it can be a very amazing degree to pursue. Good luck, and ask away if you have any questions.
out of curiosity, What stream of engineering did you pursue?

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Old 10-07-2010 at 07:24 PM   #42
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times

The college major is almost completely insignificant, today. It is one of the very last things you should be worrying about. What you should worry about, however, is developing skills which will enable you to be successful at whatever you do. Critical thinking skills are the #1 thing you can take out of University.

Do not worry about what you think you want to major in, or what you think you want to do as a career. 99% of people will change what they take, and almost no one will truly know what career they will have, because of the fluctuating market, and you not really knowing what you like. I guarantee you will find things you didn't know about, and really enjoy, in University.

My advice? Whatever it is you do, work 110% at it. If you hate it, you can switch, but at least you can look back and be proud at what you did. If you love it, and find out in 3rd or 4th year it is what you want to "do" you are going to wish you worked harder earlier on. Opportunities will make themselves apparent to anyone who is good at anything they do. Whatever you have fun doing, do it; if you find something else you enjoy MORE, do that.

(This is mostly from a superb book which came out recently: "The Thinking Student's Guide to College" by Andrew Roberts. It really confirmed my beliefs, and shattered my pre-conceptions.)

teedee says thanks to dmzz for this post.

Old 10-07-2010 at 08:56 PM   #43
pavlov

Liked: 72 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boolean View Post
out of curiosity, What stream of engineering did you pursue?
Electrical
Old 10-07-2010 at 09:05 PM   #44
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

All the cool kids went into 'Software Engineering'; specifically the 'Embedded Systems' stream.

Just sayin'
Old 10-07-2010 at 09:08 PM   #45
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

Social work is probably the only program where it's normal to call your prof by first name, and considered strange and awkward if you call them by last name.

Just sayin'

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

AelyaS likes this.