MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"The Root Cause of Terrorism is Terrorists" mike_302 Politics 13 04-26-2013 12:17 PM
Should we worry of current terrorism events? lux General Discussion 49 01-31-2010 01:16 PM

Terrorism linked to students

Old 08-17-2014 at 06:27 PM   #1
Papaveroideae

Liked: 0 Times

Terrorism linked to students
Who would have thought that this stuff could be happening right here at Mac?? I posted links to some relevant articles if anyone is interested. One of the guys was not convicted, even though he spent a couple of days 'hanging out' at a meeting in Northern Ontario that was under surveillance by hundreds of police which was categorized as a terrorist training camp by the authorities.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Ontario_terroris m_plot
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmad_Ghany
cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto-18-mastermind-gets-life-sentence-1.907852
dailynews.mcmaster.ca /article/terrorism-arrests/
thestar.com/news/gta/2008/04/06/for_the_families_fear _and_bewilderment.htm l
directoryofhamilton.c om/blog/2359/mac-student-pleads-guilty-in-terror-plot
thespec.com/news-story/2550184-suspected-via-terrorist-visited-mcmaster-university/
Old 08-17-2014 at 08:59 PM   #2
jitnikovi

Liked: 13 Times

title is a bit misleading as this would be relevant if they werent 5+ years old.
likely taken care of accordingly by now.

also, strong first post.

Chad likes this.
Old 08-17-2014
topkek
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-18-2014 at 11:23 AM   #3
Papaveroideae

Liked: 0 Times

To the moderators, I'm just wondering what part of the above post was against the code of conduct. I think it was probably the first part, but was the second part starting with "I think we...." breaking the code of conduct. If not, could you please re-post the statement that is not in violation of the code of conduct.
Old 08-18-2014 at 11:55 AM   #4
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaveroideae View Post
To the moderators, I'm just wondering what part of the above post was against the code of conduct. I think it was probably the first part, but was the second part starting with "I think we...." breaking the code of conduct. If not, could you please re-post the statement that is not in violation of the code of conduct.
Please, lets not be ridiculous. Should we also keep an eye on every white male walking into a school or a movie theatre.. just in case?

PS: I'm a white male.
Old 08-18-2014 at 12:24 PM   #5
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikJ View Post
Please, lets not be ridiculous. Should we also keep an eye on every white male walking into a school or a movie theatre.. just in case?

PS: I'm a white male.
Stop involving race in everything.
Old 08-18-2014 at 01:59 PM   #6
Phoneup

Liked: 43 Times

Folks, don't bother reporting this thread to the mods or Chad. They'll do nothing. This has happened a few months ago when another moron posted a similar thread and nothing was done.

Apparently, Chad and his mates think threads of this nature 'encourage thinking and discussion, etc.' He will then cry out loud "Free Speech!". What a joke.
Old 08-18-2014 at 02:07 PM   #7
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by topkek View Post
Stop involving race in everything.
Haha.. Hypocritical much? Race, religion.. its all the same buddy. I was only responding to your ignorant comment.
Old 08-18-2014 at 02:10 PM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

To address the concerns regarding the above post. A member of the MacInsiders community actually reported it, clearly stating that they're not comfortable with that statement. I would've done the same thing had I seen it first. The statement insinuates that MacMSA is somehow more likely to commit and in some way linked to acts of terrorism simply due to their religion. This is in clear violation of the MacInsiders Community Guidelines (2) Respect and (10) Inclusivity (see below). It's great to have these discussions, but this freedom of discussion extends as far as you're not attacking other members or groups on these forums.

Please refer to the Community Guidelines here: http://www.macinsiders.com/forums.php?page=condu ct

So please ensure that the conversation remains civil and constructive.

Last edited by ~*Sara*~ : 08-18-2014 at 02:20 PM. Reason: There you go :)
Old 08-18-2014 at 02:13 PM   #9
NAT145

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
To address the concerns regarding the above post. A member of the MacInsiders community actually reported it, clearly stating that they're not comfortable with that statement. I would've done the same thing had I seen it first. The statement insinuates that MacMSA is somehow more likely to commit and in some way linked to acts of terrorism simply due to their religion. This is in clear violation of the MacInsiders Community Guidelines (2) Respect and (10) Inclusivity (see below). It's great to have these discussions, but this freedom of discussion extends as far as you're not directly attacking other members or groups on these forums.

So please ensure that the conversation remains civil and constructive.
So you can indirectly attack a group of folks, but not directly? nice logic you got there

Last edited by ~*Sara*~ : 08-18-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-19-2014 at 10:46 PM   #10
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoneup View Post
Folks, don't bother reporting this thread to the mods or Chad. They'll do nothing. This has happened a few months ago when another moron posted a similar thread and nothing was done.

Apparently, Chad and his mates think threads of this nature 'encourage thinking and discussion, etc.' He will then cry out loud "Free Speech!". What a joke.
Really?

1) The mod removed the post, as it was indeed breaching the Code Of Conduct

2) Myself and the rest of the MacInsiders team take the Code Of Conduct very seriously. If the post(s) are reported by clicking the report button, moderators are alerted as well as myself personally. If there was a case where a thread slipped through a month ago and was breaking the rules, please PM me the link to the thread so it can be taken care of. Did you report the thread in question to alert a moderator? If so, I can go back into the logs to look at what was done to remedy the situation.

3) Apparently you don't know me too well, or have read our Terms Of Service. I probably wouldn't be crying out loud, unless this song was playing on repeat in some sort of strange torture chamber, but in all seriousness the MacInsiders Terms Of Service has a whole section on Freedom Of Speech claims, and it says the opposite of what you're claiming. I can't recall a single time I've defied my own Code Of Conduct rules, and allowed someone to break the rules claiming 'freedom of speech'. Please let me know where and when that happened, because it didn't come from me that's for certain.

I can't speak on behalf of 'my mates', but speaking on my own behalf, I support any and all threads that encourage constructive discussion.. why wouldn't I? This is a forum. If you have read the Code Of Conduct, it's very clear that we encourage threads that have constructive debate and discussion, while still following the rules. We're all university educated individuals here, and should be able to have a discussion without bashing each other, race, religion, or bullying. That is what the Code Of Conduct is meant to enforce, and protect the integrity of the community and the forum. It's the reason why we've been able to keep this community to, what I believe, is a higher standard and see it continue to thrive for over 7 years since I started the site back in 2006.

Any questions you can private message me. Thanks.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to Chad for this post.

Shawn_Khan likes this.
Old 08-19-2014 at 10:51 PM   #11
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAT145 View Post
So you can indirectly attack a group of folks, but not directly? nice logic you got there
Hi Nat145

Indirectly or directly, it doesn't matter. Our rules state that any post found to be "attacking, calling names, bullying, harassing, or being condescending to another forum member or any ethnic or religious group will be removed or hidden from the public for further review, at the discretion of MacInsider's Staff".

We do this to protect our members from bullying, and to promote a constructive, inclusive discussion environment.

Any questions, you can reach me directly via private message and I would be happy to explain any part of the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct. Thanks.

Regards,
Chad Fullerton
Founder, MacInsiders
Old 08-19-2014 at 11:01 PM   #12
Phoneup

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Really?

1) The mod removed the post, as it was indeed breaching the Code Of Conduct

2) Myself and the rest of the MacInsiders team take the Code Of Conduct very seriously. If the post(s) are reported by clicking the report button, moderators are alerted as well as myself personally.

3) Apparently you don't know me too well, or have read our Terms Of Service. I probably wouldn't be crying out loud, unless this song was playing on repeat in some sort of strange torture chamber, but in all seriousness the MacInsiders Terms Of Service has a whole section on Freedom Of Speech claims, and it says the opposite of what you're claiming. I can't recall a single time I've defied my own Code Of Conduct rules, and allowed someone to break the rules claiming 'freedom of speech'. Please let me know where and when that happened, because it didn't come from me that's for certain.

I can't speak on behalf of 'my mates', but speaking on my own behalf, I support any and all threads that encourage constructive discussion.. why wouldn't I? This is a forum. If you have read the Code Of Conduct, it's very clear that we encourage threads that have constructive debate and discussion, while still following the rules. We're all university educated individuals here, and should be able to have a discussion without bashing each other, race, religion, or bullying. That is what the Code Of Conduct is meant to enforce, and protect the integrity of the community and the forum. It's the reason why we've been able to keep this community to, what I believe, is a higher standard and see it continue to thrive for over 7 years since I started the site back in 2006.

Any questions you can private message me. Thanks.
You're kidding, right? That thread remained open and the mods did nothing for almost an entire day. The posts by that point were already breaching the CoC (and even common sense) and one of the mods even made a post stating that there is nothing that's breaking the CoC or is considered 'offensive'.

You probably removed the thread because a bunch of other people reported the thread too - otherwise you and the mods could probably care less.
Old 08-20-2014 at 12:05 AM   #13
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoneup View Post
You're kidding, right? That thread remained open and the mods did nothing for almost an entire day. The posts by that point were already breaching the CoC (and even common sense) and one of the mods even made a post stating that there is nothing that's breaking the CoC or is considered 'offensive'.

You probably removed the thread because a bunch of other people reported the thread too - otherwise you and the mods could probably care less.
If there was a case where a thread slipped through and was breaking the rules, please PM me the link to the thread so it can be taken care of. Reported threads being ignored is certainly not the norm here.

Did you report the thread in question to alert a moderator? If so, I can go back into the logs to look at what was done to remedy the situation once it was reported.

If there was a moderator staff involved who didn't do anything when they should have, I will chat with them about it.

Keep in mind, the moderator team are all volunteers and students just like you. They work hard and do an amazing job, while juggling their school work and some with multiple part-time jobs. We don't have full-time staff moderating the forums and reading every thread posted in a back room somewhere. Instead, we rely on the community to report posts, and when multiple users report a post, it is automatically collapsed right away with a message stating that it is under review. Staff are notified and we try our best to handle all reported threads as quickly as possible.

Trust me when I say, I do care. As I said earlier, the CoC is in place to keep the integrity of this community intact. The last thing I would want to see is anything harming the great community we have here and the members within it. If I didn't care, I wouldn't still be running the site, PhoneUp. I graduated from McMaster many years ago, and keep this site going as an alumni because of the amazing community that thrives here and the amazing members here that help each other out. Just come out to one of our annual MacInsiders Social events and you'll see what I mean.

I'm trying to be as reasonable as possible here, not sure what else I can do to help. But please let me know. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2014
jcfc1993
This message has been removed by a moderator. .