MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone selling their Chem 20A3 Orgo Textbook and solution manual? kohmx Academics 1 04-08-2010 08:22 PM
Course Material for Orgo CHEM 2OA3 and 2OB3 Wolf11 Academics 8 07-17-2009 09:14 AM

Textbook Advice for Orgo Chem 2OA3

Old 08-23-2010 at 03:39 PM   #16
jordan19

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by farid View Post
I'm at work rite now, but I can drop you a few links later when I get home =)
Don't bother getting the new textbooks - they haven't changed THAT drastically, most of the time the prof will post readings for both of the textbooks but you might have to hunt down the exact pages for the older ones
Old 08-23-2010 at 03:44 PM   #17
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan19 View Post
Don't bother getting the new textbooks - they haven't changed THAT drastically, most of the time the prof will post readings for both of the textbooks but you might have to hunt down the exact pages for the older ones
True say, but you also have to realize that it's much much easier to sell a book if you get a newer edition rather than an older edition, so in the long run, spending a little more can be better. But if an older version is MUCH cheaper, then thats a no-brainer.
Old 08-23-2010 at 04:20 PM   #18
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

It might be a good idea to buy an older edition of the textbook because the content is exactly the same and the question styles are similar. THe only thing that is different is the cover ...

double check with the prof first!

Old 08-23-2010 at 04:54 PM   #19
TLulu

Liked: 3 Times

I agree with Lij and jordan. Usually the only difference is the cover. The content tends to be exactly the same. New editions are a way for the publisher to make more money.
Old 08-23-2010 at 04:59 PM   #20
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Older editions from the textbook should be fine. I'd recommend getting it, if only for labs and assignments. I had Stover, so with your prof it might be different, but the assignments could be fairly challenging and sometimes the lab material wasn't covered until after the lab. There was also the occasional cramming of information into the last 3mins of class, because the information is needed for the assignment that is due prior to the next class.

The molecular model kit was useful because, in second term, when you had to memorize the structure of some sugars (something I've always been terrible at), I built them with my model kit and brought them into the exam--so did many other people. It was also useful in first term for the test questions where they ask you "is this an enantiomer?" or "what is the relationship between these two molecules?"

Personally, I didn't do any practise problems and I didn't touch the Wiley stuff.
Old 08-23-2010 at 05:14 PM   #21
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

So, are you allowed to bring the MMKs into the test/exam? Some of the posts on here read that way.

Also, to repeat someone else's question, which MMK is the best? (Please say the box colour, lol, the labels are pathetic)

I'm thinking of just getting the package and being done with it, though I'd rather not get the online thing (you don't need it, do you, there are practice problems in the text that are in the SSM, right?) Oh well, I guess.

Last edited by britb : 08-23-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-23-2010 at 05:15 PM   #22
taralyn

Liked: 0 Times

I used the old edition of the orgo text last term and I found it worked quite well. The differences in page numbers and problems were not a problem at all and having a used text, I didn't mind messing it up with hi-lighting and everthing.

As for the solution manuals, I didn't get them but I also didn't find that to be an issue since the prof posted a lot of problems with solutions.
The moleular model kits were really useful though.
Old 08-23-2010 at 05:16 PM   #23
TLulu

Liked: 3 Times

Yup my prof allowed me to bring the model kit to the midterm and exam.
I also agree that the WileyPlus stuff is completely useless. I never looked at it once and did really well. Our prof also advised us that unless we did all the questions in the textbook only then if we were really bored we could look at the Wiley but it was real low on the priority list.

Last edited by TLulu : 08-23-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-25-2010 at 11:11 PM   #24
nessa18

Liked: 9 Times

Can someone please let me know if the latest edition is 9 or 10?
Old 08-25-2010 at 11:20 PM   #25
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessa18 View Post
Can someone please let me know if the latest edition is 9 or 10?
http://titles.mcmaster.ca/text/detai...780 471684961

9th edition, the 8th edition is also for sale for 40$ cheaper (17 something compared to 47 something). Prices are used and for textbook only.
Old 08-25-2010 at 11:31 PM   #26
nessa18

Liked: 9 Times

Kk thanks!
Old 08-26-2010 at 06:59 AM   #27
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLulu View Post
I agree with Lij and jordan. Usually the only difference is the cover. The content tends to be exactly the same. New editions are a way for the publisher to make more money.
I agree! Older version was much much cheaper too!
Old 08-26-2010 at 07:55 AM   #28
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
http://titles.mcmaster.ca/text/detai...780 471684961

9th edition, the 8th edition is also for sale for 40$ cheaper (17 something compared to 47 something). Prices are used and for textbook only.
Actually, I think it's the 10th edition that is newest: http://titles.mcmaster.ca/text/detai...780 470601686

The 9th edition was new last year.