MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Textbooks exuberant888 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-15-2010 08:00 PM
Textbooks Qadd Academics 2 08-02-2010 12:19 PM
Want $150 to help pay for textbooks? Chad MacInsiders Announcements 49 03-22-2009 09:32 PM
Why did I even buy some of these textbooks... Ownaginatios Academics 14 12-08-2008 06:53 PM
Textbooks kayleech Academics 16 09-01-2007 04:45 PM

Textbooks

Old 07-08-2008 at 12:33 AM   #1
Kayli

Liked: 1 Time

Textbooks
When should I start worrying about getting my textbooks for the Fall?
Old 07-08-2008 at 08:13 AM   #2
KaesoPublius
SRA Member

Usually the best policy is to purchase them before september because the lines will be rediculous, or at least that's what I've always done. Some people say to wait because your profs might say you "don't need" a book, but I've never had that happen to me before in four years.
Old 07-08-2008 at 12:04 PM   #3
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

if the profs say you dont 'need it, it would generally be listed as "optional " on the booklist. If you want to not wait for the lines, you can always buy from titles and don't open the package and keep the receipt. then go to class, and see if you need it. if not, you can always refund it back to a certain date i think. that's what i did first year. Even the used books at titles can be refunded too. But now, i just buy used from other ppl cause its definately cheaper than titles.
Old 07-08-2008 at 01:54 PM   #4
Kayli

Ok, that helps. Where and when can I get a booklist though? And I have to make sure that I buy the newest editions (if that's the right word), right? Cuz apparently profs like to change their textbooks a little every now and then so that people have to buy the new versions instead of getting them second-hand. I dunno, that's just what some of my teachers told me...... Oh, and I also heard that it's a good idea to get the books off Amazon. Would anyone else agree with that?

Thanx.
Old 07-08-2008 at 02:36 PM   #5
eycc11

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayli View Post
Ok, that helps. Where and when can I get a booklist though? And I have to make sure that I buy the newest editions (if that's the right word), right? Cuz apparently profs like to change their textbooks a little every now and then so that people have to buy the new versions instead of getting them second-hand. I dunno, that's just what some of my teachers told me...... Oh, and I also heard that it's a good idea to get the books off Amazon. Would anyone else agree with that?

Thanx.
You can find the booklist here. However, Titles still hasn't updated that list for the 08/09 school year. I read somewhere that they'll be updated on August 15th. The profs do sometimes change the textbooks (or editions) they use. That's not always the case, but I would wait until the updated list comes out before purchasing the textbooks -- the edition the profs want you to use will be indicated on that list.

Also, I think some of the textbooks on Amazon, and even Chapters, are actually more expensive than Titles.
Old 07-08-2008 at 04:17 PM   #6
Kayli

Really? More expensive? I thought at least Amzon would be cheaper. And! - No lines! lol

But thanx for the info. I'll keep my eyes open for that updated booklist.
Old 07-08-2008 at 05:34 PM   #7
eycc11

Quote:
Really? More expensive? I thought at least Amzon would be cheaper. And! - No lines! lol

But thanx for the info. I'll keep my eyes open for that updated booklist.
Yeah, I thought they were cheaper, too but I just searched the prices of some of the textbooks I used in first year and they weren't cheaper...at least not anymore?

I remember looking up some prices of my textbooks on Chapters on-line during the last school year and all the prices of my books were the same as Titles, but if I had the Chapters iRewards membership, then each book was like $2-3 cheaper. That was the good part because the cost of textbooks does add up, but the bad part was that shipping would've taken 4-5 weeks. It wasn't worth it because it was already a couple or so weeks into September when I learned about textbooks being cheaper on-line.

As Eva C had mentioned earlier, you can purchase the books at Titles before classes start. If you really hate line-ups (they're actually not all that bad if you go when it first opens for the day or just before it closes), I'd suggest going to Titles at the end of August before the rush, but after the list has been updated. Just don't open the package and do keep the receipt, then return if it does happen to be the wrong book.

Hope that helps!

Kayli says thanks to eycc11 for this post.
Old 07-08-2008 at 06:02 PM   #8
Kayli

Oh, that does help a lot. Thank you very much.

Do you know how long before the start of classes Titles should have the appropriate textbooks?

Last edited by Kayli : 07-08-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-08-2008 at 06:20 PM   #9
eycc11

Quote:
Oh, that does help a lot. Thank you very much.

Do you know how long before the start of classes Titles should have the appropriate textbooks?
Sorry, I'm not too sure about that. I believe Titles would try to get all of the shipments in before September to avoid confusion, complaints, etc. You can always check the booklist, click the textbook that you need and it should show the number of copies currently available, number of copies on order, etc. I'm not too sure if that's always up-to-date, so I'd just give them a call before heading over there. =)
Old 07-08-2008 at 09:37 PM   #10
Kayli

Wow, that sounds so useful! Thanx for all the info. Really. It's very reassuring. Takes a lot of the pressure off.
Old 07-09-2008 at 11:37 AM   #11
Eva C
Elite Member

hey. i have experience where it lists a newer edition on the course list, but then when i went to class, the prof said that the older edition is fine cause they didnt' change the course information yet to the new edition, so we should all just buy the old edition! so it can happen.

So the best idea is to either buy it from titles where you can refund, don't open it, the see what happens when you see your prof. if you want and can find the name of your professsor, then their email to contact them at the end of aug and see what they say too.

i would definately not suggest buying on amazon too. i found it more expensive as well, when you include shipping costs, etc and the time you have to wait is not really that worth it. unless you find a really good deal, then i dont 'think its the best option.

the titles booklist is coming out Aug 11th !

and everythign else that eycc (the other Eva) said it correct!

remember to check out the other articles on macinsiders about books. there's a lot of advice there too

aarathi, Kayli all say thanks to Eva C for this post.
Old 07-09-2008 at 01:06 PM   #12
KaylaMarie

Where is a good place to look for students selling used books when it comes time? (on the net preferably)
Old 07-09-2008 at 02:02 PM   #13
Eva C
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaMarie View Post
Where is a good place to look for students selling used books when it comes time? (on the net preferably)
If you want online, then i would suggest some people do post on Facebook Marketplace, another option is the Used Book Classifed on the Titles bookstore site where you can email the people that posted on there. The used book is the one i use the most!
Old 07-09-2008 at 07:32 PM   #14
Kayli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva C View Post
hey. i have experience where it lists a newer edition on the course list, but then when i went to class, the prof said that the older edition is fine cause they didnt' change the course information yet to the new edition, so we should all just buy the old edition! so it can happen.

So the best idea is to either buy it from titles where you can refund, don't open it, the see what happens when you see your prof. if you want and can find the name of your professsor, then their email to contact them at the end of aug and see what they say too.

i would definately not suggest buying on amazon too. i found it more expensive as well, when you include shipping costs, etc and the time you have to wait is not really that worth it. unless you find a really good deal, then i dont 'think its the best option.

the titles booklist is coming out Aug 11th !

and everythign else that eycc (the other Eva) said it correct!

remember to check out the other articles on macinsiders about books. there's a lot of advice there too

Yeah, it sounds like it's definitely a good idea to not open the books until you're sure they're the right ones, eh?

Would profs get annoyed if you emailed them about that, tho? Don't wanna get them annoyed by me before classes even start! lol
Old 07-09-2008 at 08:01 PM   #15
Eva C
Elite Member

i guess it depends on the professor. haha. yeah, just wait till the booklist comes up and then you'll notice if its a new version or not by looking at all the other ones that are up online.