MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Textbooks exuberant888 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-15-2010 08:00 PM
Textbooks Qadd Academics 2 08-02-2010 12:19 PM
Want $150 to help pay for textbooks? Chad MacInsiders Announcements 49 03-22-2009 09:32 PM
Why did I even buy some of these textbooks... Ownaginatios Academics 14 12-08-2008 06:53 PM
Textbooks kayleech Academics 16 09-01-2007 04:45 PM

Textbooks and More!

Old 08-31-2010 at 03:24 PM   #1
rishibodalia

Liked: 0 Times

Textbooks and More!
Hey how many of you have bought the textbooks and other stuff required.

I've heard to wait until class begins to buy the required material. Is that true or should I buy the required stuff NOW !?

Let me know what to do guys. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-31-2010 at 03:33 PM   #2
Olivia.

Liked: 9 Times

Nah, I figured I might as well just wait until the profs let us know for sure which books they want us to buy. I would hate to show up for class with a book I'm never going to open I think it depends on the teacher..some like to use a lot of text books, others only a few. Who knows. I'd just rather be safe than sorry ahaha

rishibodalia says thanks to Olivia. for this post.
Old 08-31-2010 at 03:34 PM   #3
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

I haven't bought mine either, but I'm thinking of buying my Religon one because the textbook seems to be the same throughout the years, and it's a full year course anyway.

Most upper years will tell you to wait until after the first class atleast, just so you're absolutely sure youre only buying the books you need. Some might tell you to wait till a week, in case you decide to drop a course.
Old 08-31-2010 at 03:35 PM   #4
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

I would say wait just because sometimes the profs will change the required textbooks and the bookstore might not change it on their website. The first days of classes are always review and just getting started a bit so you won't fall behind by not having the textbooks right away.

Old 08-31-2010 at 03:36 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibodalia View Post
Hey how many of you have bought the textbooks and other stuff required.

I've heard to wait until class begins to buy the required material. Is that true or should I buy the required stuff NOW !?

Let me know what to do guys. Thanks in advance!
You can do either, but it's advised you wait. Things can change.

rishibodalia says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-31-2010 at 03:44 PM   #6
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

In my first year, since I was a huge noob, I bought all my textbooks (new) before classes even started. This was one of my biggest mistakes lol. Some books I rarely used. I wasted a ton of money.

When second year rolled around I learned my lesson so I waited till first week of Sept. to buy stuff. I asked upper years what they thought was important from their experience and things like that so I knew what to avoid buying. I saved a TON of cash in second year.

So I suggest you wait until your first few classes to buy things. Right now though you can maybe ask second years what they thought was important for the classes you are taking right now so you can get an idea of what to focus on getting. Check reviews on the course or maybe email the prof. If a book turns out to be absolutely neccessary then look on titles classifieds, macinsiders marketplace, facebook etc. for that book to get a good deal now.

Last edited by AnguishedEnd : 08-31-2010 at 03:47 PM.

rishibodalia likes this.