MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Theatre & Film 2T03 micadjems 2nd Year Course Reviews 33 06-21-2016 10:44 AM
Theatre & Film 1b03 NRoshanth Academics 7 04-15-2009 06:13 PM
Theatre & Film Society Wants You! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 3 01-14-2009 06:45 PM
Message From Mac Theatre and Film Society Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-17-2008 12:41 AM

Theatre and Film??

Old 08-24-2008 at 05:48 PM   #1
thatdudeukno

Theatre and Film??
Has anybody taken THTR&FLM 1B03? Please share your opinion of the course and if you found it easy/hard.
Old 08-24-2008 at 07:27 PM   #2
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

I took this course last year and it was relatively easy. There wasn't much actual work involved in it but you had to pay attention in lectures to do well on the work. There were a few multiple choice quizzes on the films, a multiple choice midterm on the films and the readings in the text book, an essay on a film of your choice worth a good chunk of your mark and a multiple choice exam. So if you'd like a break from tons of assignments it's a good course.

The Professor is pretty cool (Sokalski) and the lectures are interesting enough on most days. He showed a lot of film clips so that added a break from constant speaking.

I found the textbook readings to be interesting, not boring like many other readings for other courses. A lot of great film examples and the pieces on film were cool.

Memorization for the different terms is pretty cool because there are a lot of visual examples that help in the book. Lots of pictures.

I think he shows most of the same films each year from what I've heard. Some films I found great and others I found boring. You can always leave a film if you're really not interested, but you take the risk of it being on the mid-term and you not knowing enough about it.

I think it's a pretty good course overall. It's a change from the other more traditional courses with just reading and lecturing as you get to watch films.

If you're taking this let me know if you'd like a buy a the textbook from me. It's a brand new edition so it shouldn't be changed yet, I still have the CD that comes with it and mine is in excellent condition, no highlighting or anything.
Old 08-24-2008 at 07:33 PM   #3
thatdudeukno

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I took this course last year and it was relatively easy. There wasn't much actual work involved in it but you had to pay attention in lectures to do well on the work. There were a few multiple choice quizzes on the films, a multiple choice midterm on the films and the readings in the text book, an essay on a film of your choice worth a good chunk of your mark and a multiple choice exam. So if you'd like a break from tons of assignments it's a good course.

The Professor is pretty cool (Sokalski) and the lectures are interesting enough on most days. He showed a lot of film clips so that added a break from constant speaking.

I found the textbook readings to be interesting, not boring like many other readings for other courses. A lot of great film examples and the pieces on film were cool.

Memorization for the different terms is pretty cool because there are a lot of visual examples that help in the book. Lots of pictures.

I think he shows most of the same films each year from what I've heard. Some films I found great and others I found boring. You can always leave a film if you're really not interested, but you take the risk of it being on the mid-term and you not knowing enough about it.

I think it's a pretty good course overall. It's a change from the other more traditional courses with just reading and lecturing as you get to watch films.

If you're taking this let me know if you'd like a buy a the textbook from me. It's a brand new edition so it shouldn't be changed yet, I still have the CD that comes with it and mine is in excellent condition, no highlighting or anything.
Thank you very much for the review, I was worried it would be jam packed with essays, but only one essay doesn't too bad. I am very interested in buying the course material so if you can please send me your price and where I could possibly pick up the book and cd. Email: [email protected].

- Vish
Old 08-24-2008 at 08:02 PM   #4
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

I sent you e-mail with the price Titles charges for new and used and an offer, it's negotiable.