MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SFWR ENG / CS 2C03 - Algorithms and Data Structures Ownaginatios 2nd Year Course Reviews 1 05-13-2016 08:20 PM
Interesting Data zeChinaman General Discussion 14 04-12-2010 04:22 PM
Gr.12 data management to replace stats shay First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-28-2009 03:14 PM

Are there any data recovery wizards here?

Old 09-17-2010 at 12:05 PM   #1
Anamaria
McMaster Employee

Liked: 1 Time

Are there any data recovery wizards here?
I'be busted my external hard drive ( kinda dropped it...) and hope that at least some of the data can be recovered.
I need pro help here. Anyone??
Old 09-18-2010 at 08:43 PM   #2
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

No.

btw yes i am a wizard
Old 09-18-2010 at 09:42 PM   #3
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

If you take apart the enclosure and try hooking up the internal drive directly you might have some luck. It is possible the USB/eSata/etc port you used to connect the USB is broken but the HDD itself is intact.
Old 09-19-2010 at 03:38 PM   #4
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

If the HD itself isn't smashed you might have some luck with the above.

Otherwise, you're going to have to engineer yourself a more durable external harddrive.

See what I did there? HAHAHAHA *awkward laugh*

Old 09-19-2010 at 09:44 PM   #5
magyarm

Liked: 0 Times

If you can get it hooked up to another machine, then you are probably golden. If it can be hooked up, then there is software (usually linux based) that will read any data off the drive, even stuff found in bad/corrupt sectors. I have done this with an external that lost power mid transfer and was showing up as unreadable. It would just take a quick google to find such software. The real key here though is if it can be attatched to another machine, and is not physically damaged. If it is physically damaged, it can still be recovered, but by specialized (read ridiculously expensive) data recover companies.

Hope this helps
Old 09-20-2010 at 08:23 AM   #6
Anamaria
McMaster Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by magyarm View Post
[...] If it is physically damaged, it can still be recovered, but by specialized (read ridiculously expensive) data recover companies.

[...]
Yeah, unfortunately this is what I'm dealing with....
Old 09-20-2010 at 09:08 AM   #7
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

try "recuva" by piriform
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 09-20-2010 at 03:28 PM   #8
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

If the hard drive was dropped, there was most likely physical damage. Plug in hard hard drive to a power source, and put your ear up to it. If you hear anything but a uniform whirring sound, such as a clicking or an oscillating pitch in the whirring, you're ****ed.

No amount of programs will be able to recover your data.
Most recovery services won't be able to get anything back for you short of spending a small fortune.
Old 09-21-2010 at 08:13 AM   #9
Anamaria
McMaster Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freija View Post
If the hard drive was dropped, there was most likely physical damage. Plug in hard hard drive to a power source, and put your ear up to it. If you hear anything but a uniform whirring sound, such as a clicking or an oscillating pitch in the whirring, you're ****ed.

No amount of programs will be able to recover your data.
Most recovery services won't be able to get anything back for you short of spending a small fortune.
It clicks and I am ****ed.

@#[email protected]#[email protected]# piece of
Old 09-21-2010 at 09:30 AM   #10
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

I can help ya out if you want. I have the serial/sata connectors to usb. So you just use that and it turns it into an external hd again.

Is the harddrive physically damaged?

feel free to message me, i love fixing this kind of stuff