MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Minor in Finance John H General Discussion 23 10-10-2009 12:11 AM
MSU Tour With The VP Finance Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 08-30-2009 03:40 AM
New Personal Finance Course Chad Academics 1 07-27-2007 03:35 PM

What is there to do in Finance?

Old 06-03-2010 at 04:44 PM   #31
Equinox

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
Such as? Is McMaster really that bad when it comes to its commerce program?
Yes i would like to know as well.. please.. before it's too late or something lol.
Old 06-03-2010 at 07:14 PM   #32
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Let's put it this way: http://oncampus.macleans.ca/educatio...aculty-feud/3/

This isn't the first time something like this has happened within the school.

Most profs are too caught up in inter-office politics to give students the best they can. It's not that the school isn't good, but it could be better, and this atmosphere isn't the best to foster elite students.

Equinox says thanks to deadpool for this post.
Old 06-03-2010 at 07:39 PM   #33
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Mac's business school is known for Marketing...not for finance or accounting.

Also, getting your CA/CMA is not easy. I know people with good averages and it still took them a lot of studying in order to pass.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-03-2010 at 07:58 PM   #34
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan10 View Post
Switch to a different school.
What Rohan is trying to say is that if you want an easier time breaking into a job that will get you $$Ferrari, then you should go to another school.

If you have an 11.9999 average, know how to talk to people without sounding like an idiot, and are willing to work your ass off networking, Mac is fine.

Equinox, deadpool all say thanks to PTGregD for this post.
Old 06-23-2010 at 03:46 AM   #35
Sam321

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
What Rohan is trying to say is that if you want an easier time breaking into a job that will get you $$Ferrari, then you should go to another school.

If you have an 11.9999 average, know how to talk to people without sounding like an idiot, and are willing to work your ass off networking, Mac is fine.
You are grossly misinformed, I'm a recent freshman and I've been in interning in IB in the mid east since the start of the summer, and I transferred to mac from Dalhousie..starting at Mac this fall. Anyway, As long as your GPA is above 3.5/4, you're very well spoken and knowledgeable on the subject matter, accumulate relevant internships, and network with alumni working in Ibanking you will be fine. The interview is where schools, GPA's, and experiences no longer matter. The way you present your self and showoff your knowledge is what dictates your advancement.

Www.Wallstreetoasis.c om , www,mergers&inquisiti ons.com, Www.Bankonbanking.com , and Www.IbankingFAQ.com.

Mind you, connections can make the journey much simpler..I didn't even have to interview.

To the original poster: Investment banking and trading are 2 very stressful and hard driving career paths, in Ibanking you work 80 hours a week on avg, including weekeneds. You are slave to your managing directors often arbitrary desires, if you're not motivated enough then maybe consider Private Wealth Management which is a less stressful but still lucrative route, you'll need great market knowledge for that btw.
Old 06-23-2010 at 07:01 AM   #36
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam321 View Post
You are grossly misinformed, I'm a recent freshman and I've been in interning in IB in the mid east since the start of the summer, and I transferred to mac from Dalhousie..starting at Mac this fall. Anyway, As long as your GPA is above 3.5/4, you're very well spoken and knowledgeable on the subject matter, accumulate relevant internships, and network with alumni working in Ibanking you will be fine. The interview is where schools, GPA's, and experiences no longer matter. The way you present your self and showoff your knowledge is what dictates your advancement.

Www.Wallstreetoasis.c om , www,mergers&inquisiti ons.com, Www.Bankonbanking.com , and Www.IbankingFAQ.com.

Mind you, connections can make the journey much simpler..I didn't even have to interview.

To the original poster: Investment banking and trading are 2 very stressful and hard driving career paths, in Ibanking you work 80 hours a week on avg, including weekeneds. You are slave to your managing directors often arbitrary desires, if you're not motivated enough then maybe consider Private Wealth Management which is a less stressful but still lucrative route, you'll need great market knowledge for that btw.
Buddy, we can all take what mergers & inquisitions says at heart, but the bottom line is that what Brian (The creator of the site btw) gives advice on is usually dependant on going to a target school (Mac is NOT a target school).

I'm not grossly misinformed, I'm a realist. I'm also interning in Investment Banking (on this side of the meridian, being 1 of 2 people at Mac to my knowledge), so I think I have a pretty good idea of the uphill battle you fight at mac.

You're oversimplifying the process; "Accumulate internship experience".....do you understand how difficult that is? If that was easy, you'd have way more people doing investment banking in the summer.

Bottom line is, having a 3.5GPA at Mac will NOT get you an interview. When you're competing against kids from Ivey who get babysit in the interview process, your 3.5 may as well be a 0.0.

And finally:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam321 View Post
Congrats, you didn't even go through the process. If you didn't have to even interview, you wouldn't know how hard it is to get one in the first place for most people.

Last edited by PTGregD : 06-23-2010 at 07:06 AM.
Old 06-23-2010 at 09:38 AM   #37
Sam321

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Buddy, we can all take what mergers & inquisitions says at heart, but the bottom line is that what Brian (The creator of the site btw) gives advice on is usually dependant on going to a target school (Mac is NOT a target school).

I'm not grossly misinformed, I'm a realist. I'm also interning in Investment Banking (on this side of the meridian, being 1 of 2 people at Mac to my knowledge), so I think I have a pretty good idea of the uphill battle you fight at mac.

You're oversimplifying the process; "Accumulate internship experience".....do you understand how difficult that is? If that was easy, you'd have way more people doing investment banking in the summer.

Bottom line is, having a 3.5GPA at Mac will NOT get you an interview. When you're competing against kids from Ivey who get babysit in the interview process, your 3.5 may as well be a 0.0.

And finally:

Congrats, you didn't even go through the process. If you didn't have to even interview, you wouldn't know how hard it is to get one in the first place for most people.
It's not impossible, it's harder I agree. But don't banks post on OSCAR for summer opportunities? why would they ignore a mac kid with a great GPA, relevant internship experience, and a confident smooth communication style? It makes no sense.
Old 06-29-2010 at 11:30 PM   #38
reed.gz

Liked: 1 Time

counting my 20 posts....
Old 07-15-2010 at 08:48 PM   #39
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

I hate to revive a dead thread, but...

I'm just taking a gander at the CSI website...
If you have to pay full price for these courses to get these designations, what are/am we/I doing in school? What's the point?

Or is there something I'm missing. Can you do university and then somehow get CSC/CFP/etc another way?

What's the point of the degree..?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 07-16-2010 at 01:21 PM   #40
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post

If you have to pay full price for these courses to get these designations, what are/am we/I doing in school? What's the point?

Or is there something I'm missing. Can you do university and then somehow get CSC/CFP/etc another way?

Many of the courses rely on skills you learn during your degree (I assume its the same as CMA/CGA/CA).

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-17-2010 at 02:45 AM   #41
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post

The one guy I know with his CSC got it while in 1st or 2nd year of university. He definitely didn't need his degree for it (he eventually finished with a Journalism degree anyway). In all fairness though, this guy is also smart enough to make your friend Jim look like Miss South Carolina in comparison. He MAY have also gotten his CFP along the way too, but I'm not sure. All those initialisms are so similar, it's hard to remember a decade later.
Old 07-17-2010 at 08:09 AM   #42
mcmaster12

Liked: 6 Times

my friend is in commerce II going to hon.bcom III, and hes doing his CSC right now. its basically textbook-self study and write exam end of summer. the only finance course hes taken is 2fa3. accounting wise, just the same as all other commerce students, 2aa3 and 2ab3.
Old 07-17-2010 at 08:38 AM   #43
PTGregD
Elite Member

Those designations are just ways to get licensed in some select fields. You don't need to get them if you're pursuing jobs in a field of finance which they don't apply to.

They are all mainly a joke anyways (couple ones actually require studying but that's about it).
Old 07-17-2010 at 11:26 AM   #44
CAHopeful
Account Locked

Liked: 7 Times

Not to be demoralizing, however, if you want to break into I-Banking, you should have went to a target school (Queens, Ivey, Schulich, Rotman). From what I have heard, networking is easier at these schools... due to their alumni and notoriety.

So, yes, the school you do attend, matters... to a certain extent. But, then again, I have not even started University. What do I know
Old 07-18-2010 at 03:25 AM   #45
Sam321

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHopeful View Post
Not to be demoralizing, however, if you want to break into I-Banking, you should have went to a target school (Queens, Ivey, Schulich, Rotman). From what I have heard, networking is easier at these schools... due to their alumni and notoriety.

So, yes, the school you do attend, matters... to a certain extent. But, then again, I have not even started University. What do I know
Impossibilities are few and far between.