Senior thesis, scary? dumbconsumer Academics 10 10-19-2010 02:37 PM
Thesis nerual Academics 2 08-07-2010 12:07 AM
Importance of Senior thesis? Richa Academics 3 06-10-2010 06:48 AM

Thesis

Old 03-31-2011 at 11:51 AM   #1
amigojoe

Liked: 0 Times

Thesis
I have a question regarding the the 4C09 thesis for life sci students. Is the gpa requirement mandatory, can your application be rejected if your GPA is 7.5 instead of the required 8.5?
Old 03-31-2011 at 11:52 AM   #2
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

ive herd that some profs are willing to make exceptions... but i dont kno for sure... i guess you would have to speak to the person u plan to work with directly
Old 03-31-2011 at 12:12 PM   #3
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigojoe View Post
I have a question regarding the the 4C09 thesis for life sci students. Is the gpa requirement mandatory, can your application be rejected if your GPA is 7.5 instead of the required 8.5?
for the programs where a thesis is mandatory i know i've heard of them making exceptions so they may be willing to do that for life sci as well, but you should check with the department.

you might be okay because from what i've heard the life sci thesis can be done with supervisors from almost any department - so you shouldn't have too much difficulty finding someone who is willing. you would likely need to get a pre-req waiver though b/c the 8.5 is considered a pre-requisite.
Old 03-31-2011 at 12:19 PM   #4
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Try to volunteer in the lab or get to know one of the graduate students, if you go to a prof with prior experience or someone to vouch for you you're almost certain to get into the lab with the GPA waived.
Old 04-06-2011 at 04:16 AM   #5
Cirrhosis

Liked: 12 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigojoe View Post
They won't let you in with those grades, especially if the thesis is optional.
Old 04-06-2011
manap3000
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 04-06-2011 at 02:28 PM   #6
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrhosis View Post
They won't let you in with those grades, especially if the thesis is optional.
When I did my thesis, there was one student I knew who had marks below the GPA required. However, he had experience working in the lab, so he managed to talk to one of the profs and secure a spot. Note that this was in a program that had a mandatory thesis!
Old 04-06-2011 at 03:20 PM   #7
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Q. View Post
When I did my thesis, there was one student I knew who had marks below the GPA required. However, he had experience working in the lab, so he managed to talk to one of the profs and secure a spot. Note that this was in a program that had a mandatory thesis!
I know someone who did the same thing except she was in Life Sci where a thesis isn't required
Old 04-06-2011 at 03:22 PM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

On a somewhat related note, I know professors are always saying to start early finding a supervisor and whatnot. When do most people typically start doing so?
Old 04-06-2011 at 03:25 PM   #9
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
On a somewhat related note, I know professors are always saying to start early finding a supervisor and whatnot. When do most people typically start doing so?
I got mine yesterday (started looking a week ago), but that's kind of late...usually people start around January or even October(of the previous year).
Old 04-06-2011 at 04:25 PM   #10
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Mid/Late October
Old 04-06-2011 at 04:45 PM   #11
sf

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
I started looking at the end of September and found that it gave me a huge advantage.
Old 04-06-2011 at 05:25 PM   #12
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

I did co-op, so we were slightly different, but I did attend an general info session the biology department held. You ideally want to find one before the end of first semester. The earlier the better... and consider applying for the NSERC Undergraduate Summer Research Awards if you have the marks