MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Thesis nerual Academics 2 08-07-2010 12:07 AM
Importance of Senior thesis? Richa Academics 3 06-10-2010 06:48 AM
Biology & Pharmacology Information Night Ashlie MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-04-2010 11:00 AM
Specializations - Thesis Doom? britb Academics 9 01-26-2010 11:09 PM

Thesis Information Night for Biology Students

The Biology Dept. is offering Thesis Information Nights for 3rd year students intending on doing a 4th year thesis on the following dates and locations:

Tuesday, November 9th (5:30-7:00pm) HS-1A1
Biology Core, Bio/Math, Biology (Origins), Bio/Enviro Sci

Tuesday, November 2nd (5:30-7:00pm) GH-111
Biology (Physiology)

Thursday, November 11th (5:30-7:00pm) GH-111
Molecular Biology & Genetics

Students will get information about their programs, thesis projects, and a chance to talk to other students in Bio as well as Biology professors. Pizza and drinks will be provided.
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 11-04-2010 at 03:17 PM   #2
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times
is there alot of competition for thesis projects?

Old 11-04-2010 at 04:58 PM   #3
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff

Liked: 360 Times
MSU UnderCovers Retail Space Survey
Hey Guys,

The MSU Exec Board is looking at options to replace the retail space in the Student Center basement that formerly housed Undercovers used bookstore.

Here are the rfp options we have:

#1 Spa: A traditonal spa with manicure, pedicure, tanning etc (MSU gets a cut of profit and a fixed rent)

#2 Optometrist(Ditto as above)

#3 Renting out the Space to a University Department for their IT Office(MSU gets steady stream of revenue). Steady revenue stream but no service to students.

#4 Dedicated Quiet Study Space with Cubicles(MSU has to pay for the rent entirely). We take up the entire rent cost

#5 Study Space, Laptop room very similar to the one on third floor with many plugs. We take up the entire rent cost.

#6 A Hybrid with ATM's from a certain bank and Lounge/Study Space. We get a bit of revenue while providing a service

I was wondering what you guys think would be beneficial? I was leaning towards #6 or #5 personally.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 11-04-2010 at 05:12 PM.

J-Met, Marlowe all say thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.

Old 11-04-2010 at 05:00 PM   #4
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times
MSU people's IT helpdesk or something like that.

where there are IT pros hired by MSU to help noobs.

Old 11-04-2010 at 05:06 PM   #5
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times
Quiet study space.

#1 and #2 are absolutely ridiculous...

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-04-2010 at 05:06 PM   #6
huzaifa47
MSU Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
MSU people's IT helpdesk or something like that.

where there are IT pros hired by MSU to help noobs.
I believe that service is already offered by UTS in Libraries, Help Desk at Mills is almost open till midnight. They can help you with most issues to accessing academic resources.

Secondly while I do see value in that service, the room itself seems too big for what can be accomplished on just one desk with a computer.

However in a semi related note the bigger issue is that we pay rent for that room and while we are willing to take that financial hit for providing non revenue student services like a study room, the MSU is also in a deficit and its equally enticing to give away the spot to parties offering flat and steady revenue.

Also to clarify the first two services would be outsourced and not run by the MSU.

Old 11-04-2010 at 05:07 PM   #7
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times
#6!

Yeah yeah yeah

Old 11-04-2010 at 05:10 PM   #8
huzaifa47
MSU Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Quiet study space.

#1 and #2 are absolutely ridiculous...
With Quiet study space there is no doubt that the university is well below the requirements based on the number of students we have on campus.

However we can get a smaller number of cubicles for a smaller number of people or we can have more spots for students for a laptop room with alot of power outlets(similar to the one on 3rd floor mills).

Thoughts?

Old 11-04-2010 at 05:16 PM   #9
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
With Quiet study space there is no doubt that the university is well below the requirements based on the number of students we have on campus.

However we can get a smaller number of cubicles for a smaller number of people or we can have more spots for students for a laptop room with alot of power outlets(similar to the one on 3rd floor mills).

Thoughts?
All it will be is another area for people to socialize.
What I need is a quiet study space... that could actually be quiet.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-04-2010 at 05:45 PM   #10
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times
Seriously?! A spa?!

#4 or #5 would be nice, but I doubt it'd happen.

Old 11-04-2010 at 06:01 PM   #11
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 135 Times
Its a pretty terrible location in terms of visibility, so I tend to think anything retail-related is doomed to fail there. My vote goes for just renting it to the university...better to get the MSU finances fixed so we don't have to cut our current services than put a new service in that is very likely to fail.

That being said, I know a ton of students are very inconvenienced by the fact that CIBC is the only bank with a machine on campus, so if you could get like 3 or 4 machines in there for all the major banks I would definitely support that idea. (I know you said ATMs from a certain bank, but have you looked into the possibility of having multiple brands in there?)

Marlowe likes this.

Old 11-04-2010 at 06:12 PM   #12
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
All it will be is another area for people to socialize.
What I need is a quiet study space... that could actually be quiet.
Exactly.. The Learning Commons is more than enough for people to socialize.. what we lack is actual QUIET study areas..

Old 11-04-2010 at 06:19 PM   #13
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times
Honestly all the options suck IMO.

inb4, and no, I dont have a suggestion at this time,

Old 11-04-2010 at 07:28 PM   #14
Joey

Liked: 17 Times
the basement of the student center is a horrible place to have study space. plus you would only be able to fit a few desks in there. Rent it to the university. the MSU need money.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search