MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
THINGS you wished you knew! JeetDevDesai First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 491 05-28-2018 12:00 PM
Any hidden expenses / things to consider for off campus? FutureMEDRAD Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 5 05-21-2013 11:45 PM
When to look for off campus housing? ashlay17 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 10 11-02-2010 02:31 PM
Things To Do in Hamilton On Campus summer Local Hotspots & Travel 0 06-29-2008 09:11 AM

Things you wish you knew before moving into off campus housing

Old 08-07-2013 at 11:13 AM   #1
fatcat

Liked: 34 Times

Things you wish you knew before moving into off campus housing
Hello, so I will be moving off campus, just wondering if anyone had some advice or info to make the process easier. Just things like what kind of rent receipt should I obtain from my landlord, what are the consequences of breaking a lease, what to do if roommates are bringing illegal substances into the house, why most people avoid living in a basement bedroom, etc.

Where is a good place on campus to obtain such information?
Feel free to share your experiences, thanks.
Old 08-07-2013 at 12:37 PM   #2
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

That there is a farmers market next to Fortinos... I knew that after I graduated.. :(

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Bigmacfatpack, NicoPB all say thanks to L'Étoile for this post.

NicoPB likes this.
Old 08-07-2013 at 12:46 PM   #3
fatcat

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
That there is a farmers market next to Fortinos... I knew that after I graduated.. :(
what's so good about a farmer's market? is it cheaper? organic?
Old 08-07-2013 at 12:53 PM   #4
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Way cheaper and fresher!

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 08-07-2013 at 02:49 PM   #5
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
what kind of rent receipt should I obtain from my landlord
Just ask for a rent receipt next tax season, and he will know what to do. All you need is the months of tenancy, amount of rent paid and the name of your landlord.

Quote:
what are the consequences of breaking a lease
Bad credit, and likely being taken to small claims court to collect the balance of the lease. You will likely also be added to a list of problem tenants that circulate around landlords in the Mac ghetto.

Quote:
what to do if roommates are bringing illegal substances into the house
If they are using recreationally, don't get involved. It's highly unlikely you would ever get burned for this legally due to having a separate lease (unless of course there were drugs in your bedroom).

Police in this country generally look the other way to recreational marijuana use that occurs in a private home. I've been cited for possession, but that was for smoking in public (actually guilt by association, a friend was smoking, I haven't smoked in three years... bad timing ) and didn't involve criminal charges or fines. If it's a more serious drug, I would think long and hard about whether you want to inform the landlord, but that's your prerogative. It could make for a very difficult living situation since its very difficult to evict a tenant in Ontario.

Quote:
why most people avoid living in a basement bedroom
They are dark and often musty. I lived in one that had been recently renovated and it was okay but living underground was terrible for my sleep patterns. Some people love it, though. Get a dehumidifier.
Old 08-08-2013 at 03:21 PM   #6
AvacadoLover
Account Locked

Liked: 51 Times

Be prepare to get annoy with your housemates. Most of them don't know how to clean up after themselves and tend to be inconsiderate with others. Don't rely on cleaning schedules. No one follow it after the first 3 weeks.

Make sure to have a lock on your door if there isn't one.

Get yourself a stress relief ball. I swear, there isn't a day I go by that I don't consider murdering my housemates. Seriously, you are in University! Learn how to lock the main door when you leave!

Suspect likes this.
Old 08-11-2013 at 10:33 PM   #7
murphyh

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Wait WHATTTT? The Fortinos on Main by school?! When?!
Old 08-11-2013 at 10:49 PM   #8
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Huh, I didn't know that. I thought it was a garden nursery/shop.
Old 08-12-2013 at 10:04 AM   #9
firenbell

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Wait!!!!What???Where? ??? I thought Fortinos only have one building?!
Old 08-12-2013 at 10:47 AM   #10
cwong

Liked: 5 Times

It's close to Fortinos, not exactly beside.
It's on Ewen, and I think this is it...
http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Ontari...o/3619003.html
Old 08-12-2013 at 05:27 PM   #11
camelie

Liked: 0 Times

Have a separate everything: separate dishes, separate cutlery, separate toilet paper, separate (mini)fridge. That way (1) people don't mess with your stuff, and (2) you'll always have something when people don't do the dishes, buy toilet paper when it's their turn, and leave old food in the fridge.

Also, wash your dishes in the sink. Nobody packs up the dishwasher.
Old 08-12-2013 at 08:27 PM   #12
soltintal

Liked: 38 Times

I haven't lived in a student house but I've lived in my share of apartments. About the rent receipt, you may want to request one every month so that you always have current proof of what's going on. The littl blue tear-away handwritten ones are usually sufficient. They should state your name, your address, what you've paid for what time period and be signed by your landlord. The one thing that I've learned is always ALWAYS cover your own butt. Hang on to any documentation. If there are problems, document them - take dated/timed pictures if necessary. KNOW YOUR RIGHTS and responsibilities!!! There's an excellent website CLEO which had downloadable booklets that tell you everything you ever needed to know. http://www.cleo.on.ca/en/resources-a..._tid_i18 n=89