MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A question about transcript request Little Academics 3 01-10-2012 08:25 PM
[plz help!] highschool transcript + dropping course eunhyuks First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-13-2011 12:32 AM
thinking about a big conflict. question about exams darkstar Academics 7 09-17-2010 12:21 PM
IB Transcript question thdms9211 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-19-2010 10:01 AM

Thinking of dropping a course (transcript and financial repercussions question)

Old 10-31-2012 at 03:04 PM   #1
ryanlaser

Liked: 2 Times

Thinking of dropping a course (transcript and financial repercussions question)
So, I've been seriously thinking about dropping a course.

Is there any way to find out what amount of financial penalties I'll get when I drop it? Also, what will appear on my transcript? I've read somewhere that it'll show up as NOT COMPLETED. Is this a bad thing or does it really not matter?

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2012 at 03:17 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlaser View Post
So, I've been seriously thinking about dropping a course.

Is there any way to find out what amount of financial penalties I'll get when I drop it? Also, what will appear on my transcript? I've read somewhere that it'll show up as NOT COMPLETED. Is this a bad thing or does it really not matter?

Thanks!
You'll be charged for 80% if you drop the course today:
http://www.mcmaster.ca/bms/student/S...tion_UG.h tml

It will appear on your transcript, it will say "Cancelled" I believe. It's usually only a problem academically if you have a lot of those on your transcript. It kind of also depends on the course...if the course is related to a job you might be applying for in the future they'll probably ask you why you dropped it, but typically 1-2 cancelled courses don't have academic repercussions.
Not having a full courseload can have repercussions though, so I'd consider taking an extra course next term to make up for it if you're thinking of applying to professional schools.

kwyhan likes this.
Old 10-31-2012 at 07:06 PM   #3
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

Question to engineers here. How do employers look at one of those "canceled" marks on your transcript?
Old 10-31-2012 at 07:32 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Depends on what the circumstances are and what explanation you have for it, but from an HR perspective, it could be one of 'those things' that blindly screens you out; some hiring managers look for every opportunity possible to narrow the candidate list. Not *all* coop/professional jobs demand you submit a transcript (and thus disqualifying you from an interview in some cases) obviously, but its just another thing that works against you. I've had an interview where I was told course marks don't matter at all, and I've had people at career fairs tell me its a big thing...and at the same time 'its the degree we're really looking at' :/
Old 10-31-2012 at 07:33 PM   #5
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 164 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
You'll be charged for 80% if you drop the course today:
http://www.mcmaster.ca/bms/student/S...tion_UG.h tml

It will appear on your transcript, it will say "Cancelled" I believe. It's usually only a problem academically if you have a lot of those on your transcript. It kind of also depends on the course...if the course is related to a job you might be applying for in the future they'll probably ask you why you dropped it, but typically 1-2 cancelled courses don't have academic repercussions.
Not having a full courseload can have repercussions though, so I'd consider taking an extra course next term to make up for it if you're thinking of applying to professional schools.
...Do you by any chance know if you would be at a disadvantage when applying to law school if you have a cancelled elective in first year?..
Old 10-31-2012 at 08:31 PM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetyTweety View Post
...Do you by any chance know if you would be at a disadvantage when applying to law school if you have a cancelled elective in first year?..
All I know about law school is that UofT is insanely competitive and has really really high standards to get in
You'd have to look into it further, though.
Old 10-31-2012 at 09:25 PM   #7
AngryBean
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Depends on what the circumstances are and what explanation you have for it, but from an HR perspective, it could be one of 'those things' that blindly screens you out; some hiring managers look for every opportunity possible to narrow the candidate list. Not *all* coop/professional jobs demand you submit a transcript (and thus disqualifying you from an interview in some cases) obviously, but its just another thing that works against you. I've had an interview where I was told course marks don't matter at all, and I've had people at career fairs tell me its a big thing...and at the same time 'its the degree we're really looking at' :/
How essential is it to have a clean transcript for a first-second year student?

I mean the thing is, I am at point where I won't be able to pass it for sure because I missed most of it due to illness, so I just just figured it's better to cancel it now, before I get 0. How is that for a good reasoning?
Old 10-31-2012 at 09:30 PM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBean View Post

I mean the thing is, I am at point where I won't be able to pass it for sure because I missed most of it due to illness, so I just just figured it's better to cancel it now, before I get 0. How is that for a good reasoning?
If I were an employer my first question would be, why just that course and not all your other ones?
So it still comes down to it being that specific course.
Old 10-31-2012 at 09:40 PM   #9
AngryBean
Account Locked

Quote:
If I were an employer my first question would be, why just that course and not all your other ones?
So it still comes down to it being that specific course.
Because the course is poorly designed, and doesn't allow students to catch up. Almost no homework and not the best lectures + the book is rarely used.
Old 10-31-2012 at 09:41 PM   #10
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:

I wouldn't worry about 2nd year cancels, just failures. The reasoning is sound enough. In the long run, its better to drop than risk a fail, considering the proportions of employers that this would actually come up and matter. (I don't have evidence to justify this)
Old 11-01-2012 at 07:32 AM   #11
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Because the course is poorly designed, and doesn't allow students to catch up. Almost no homework and not the best lectures + the book is rarely used.
Meh. That sounds like you're just making up excuses now. It could be completely true, and I've been in courses where that's the case, but that doesn't change the way it sounds to someone outside the situation.
Old 11-01-2012 at 08:54 AM   #12
AngryBean
Account Locked

Quote:
Meh. That sounds like you're just making up excuses now. It could be completely true, and I've been in courses where that's the case, but that doesn't change the way it sounds to someone outside the situation.
In any case, cancelled is better than 15%.
Old 11-01-2012 at 11:39 AM   #13
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
In any case, cancelled is better than 15%.
It would show up as 0 with no percent attached to it. There's no difference between 49% and 5%.
I'm not saying you shouldn't cancel it, I'm saying if you give that excuse to an employer they're probably not going to buy it. This is all assuming they'd even ask in the first place.

Last edited by starfish : 11-01-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-01-2012 at 04:13 PM   #14
AngryBean
Account Locked

Quote:
It would show up as 0 with no percent attached to it. There's no difference between 49% and 5%.
I'm not saying you shouldn't cancel it, I'm saying if you give that excuse to an employer they're probably not going to buy it. This is all assuming they'd even ask in the first place.
meh, I trust Ryan on this one.

EDIT: Actually, question. What are the chances that the class is going to be full next year? Im talking about a degree requirement course, not an elective.

Last edited by AngryBean : 11-01-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-01-2012 at 10:15 PM   #15
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
meh, I trust Ryan on this one.

EDIT: Actually, question. What are the chances that the class is going to be full next year? Im talking about a degree requirement course, not an elective.
Ryan and I aren't really saying anything different. He's saying it's unlikely they'll care or ask and so am I. I'm just saying that if they ask, you don't really have a good answer.

If it's a degree requirement course then they have to let you in it.