MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thtr&Flm 1T03 J. Dorey 1st Year Course Reviews 3 05-03-2014 11:42 PM
thtr 1t03 + random summer school q;s Chevalier First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 03-30-2011 04:39 PM
Thtr&flm 2s03 crys.eg Academics 0 06-10-2010 11:43 PM
Thtr&flm 1t03/1b03 julianface Academics 4 04-27-2010 09:15 PM

Thtr&flm 1t03

Old 07-11-2011 at 07:33 AM   #1
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Thtr&flm 1t03
I read the one review which is on the website, does anyone else have a say on this course? I'm not really strong when it comes to writing essays (if that plays a major factor anywhere). Would you take Thtr&flm 1T03 over Philos 1E03 or the other way around?

Last edited by anonanon987 : 07-11-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-11-2011 at 09:52 AM   #2
Dopematic

Liked: 28 Times

I haven't taken either of those courses (so don't take my opinion too seriously ),
but after reading reviews for both I'd say that you should go for Thtr&Film 1T03, especially if you're not the greatest at writing essays. I'm pretty sure you'd have to write 2 essays in either course anyways, but I'd guess that the essays in Thtr&Film would be easier than the essays you would have to write in Philos.

But then again, it depends on what you're interested in. I personally would find Thtr&Film more interesting that Philos.
If you find the Philos material to be really interesting, the essays shouldn't be too hard for you.

anonanon987 says thanks to Dopematic for this post.
Old 07-11-2011 at 10:51 AM   #3
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Fair enough, but I only selected Philos 1E03 because the short quick summary made it sound interesting but you do have a point there (with the material possibly being easier). I can't select Thtr&Flm 1T03 for Term 1 in the day term (to replace Philos 1E03) anymore because I took too long. Maybe it's just for the best.
Old 07-11-2011 at 11:54 AM   #4
oranges

Liked: 34 Times

I haven't taken Theatre & Film so I can't speak for it with certainty, but I'm sure the essays involved can't be that bad, as it's a first-year course (although that could be a generalization, but I base that on my experience). I have taken Philos 1E03, though, and the writing assignments and the essay aren't difficult at all as long as you put in the effort. So just take whichever course you're most interested in.

Also, you have until early September to get into 1T03, so if you decide you want to take it just keep checking SOLAR periodically. A spot should open up between now and the beginning of classes.

anonanon987 says thanks to oranges for this post.
Old 07-11-2011 at 12:32 PM   #5
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Could you tell me a bit about the term work of Philos 1E03? How hard were the assignments/essays? I find the summary of the course interesting, and I do put in effort/work/time into my assignments/essays, but I'm not a strong writer.
Old 07-11-2011 at 12:48 PM   #6
MCMashetty

Liked: 15 Times

the breakdown for 1E03 is like this: 4 two page essays on the works of specific Philosophers (doubled- spaced) 50%, 1 four page essay on a question posed by the professor (double-spaced) 25%, and the exam 25%. The essays are to be handed in every 2 weeks

As for the course, IMO the content was really interesting, and really opened your eyes. i suppose some of the stuff Dr. Garret talked about could come off as boring, and some of it could be really hard, but over all, fairly interesting. For me, the best part, was not having to go to tutorials, or even classes sometimes, because most of what was being disscussed was just a summarization of the text. It was an easy course (i believe i got an A-), cuz the exam question is given to you beforehand, and your TA's can help you with any content you might be having problems with.

I never took Theatre&film, so i can't compare, but if it were up to me, i'd probably take this course. That's just me though. Probably cuz I'm so deep and stuff -__-

anonanon987 says thanks to MCMashetty for this post.
Old 07-11-2011 at 12:54 PM   #7
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Thank you for the breakdown!
In your opinion were the 5 essays really hard? I heard there were a few assignments assigned to you and you could ask your TA what exactly they're looking for and you complete it appropriately.
Old 07-11-2011 at 01:18 PM   #8
oranges

Liked: 34 Times

The four writing assignments are really easy; they're just reading summaries of a piece of philosophy from your textbook assigned by your TA. Some of the assigned readings you need to do for the summary are really interesting, and I was lucky enough to have a TA who specifically chose readings that he thought would be interesting for us. Your TA may or may not give you an exact breakdown of what he or she wants for the reading summaries, but if not you can always ask.

The essay isn't too bad either. It'll probably be different from any essay you've written before (for example, in an English class in high school), but I find that philosophy essays are much more straightforward than essays I've written for other classes. You'll definitely want to give it more time than the reading summaries though. It's not as simple, as it involves you doing a bit of philosophizing yourself (with the help of a philosopher or two in your text, of course). But like the reading summaries, you'll be able to ask your TA exactly what they want, and as long as you follow the given guidelines you'll be good.

I hope that helps. But if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

anonanon987 says thanks to oranges for this post.

anonanon987 likes this.
Old 07-11-2011 at 01:43 PM   #9
anonanon987
Power Abuser

No that's all I have to ask in regards to Philos 1E03, thanks for all your help.
Old 07-11-2011 at 07:34 PM   #10
SydWitches
Account Locked

Liked: 7 Times

doesn't philosophy require A LOT of critical thinking? go with theatre studies. (i haven't taken either, so my opinion may very well be invalid)
Old 07-11-2011 at 08:34 PM   #11
Taryn_C

Liked: 0 Times

I've took THTR&FLM 1T03 last year. Now, I may be a little bias since I am theatre and film student but I found the course to be really enjoyable. I didn't take Philos 1E03 so I can't compare the two but I thought 1T03 was a pretty fair class when it came to papers.

We had two essays, a group presentation, a midterm, and write a group paper (kind of like a review). Also we were required to see the fall major production because there were questions about it on the exam.
Old 07-11-2011 at 08:35 PM   #12
anonanon987
Power Abuser

I'm stuck between the two, so I have no idea what I should do. :c
Old 07-11-2011 at 09:44 PM   #13
Megan11

Liked: 0 Times

I took Theatre & Film 1T03 as an elective last year. LOVED it. If you like to read, then you'll love the material. You have really interesting plays to read each week, plus you also study movies that are played in class. The group work is very fun and not hard whatsoever. You'll have to write essays no matter what Humanities course but in this class, they're short and about fun topics. If you're into arts, I would pick this a thousand times over philosophy. Also, the teacher was great and made lectures interesting.

Seriously, go for Theatre & Film 1T03. Got a great grade and loved the class.