MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FYC Election Results are in! stevennevets MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-30-2010 06:49 PM
MSU election techniques Rossclot Presidentials 2010 76 02-03-2010 06:30 AM
SRA Science January By-Election temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-27-2010 10:15 AM
SRA 2009 By-Election temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 28 10-23-2009 01:01 AM
Canadian Election J-Met Politics 19 09-25-2008 08:51 AM

Thursday's By-Election

Old 02-18-2009 at 05:00 PM   #16
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

..and the point was well-noted. But, I had to respond to the way that it was.
Old 02-18-2009 at 05:07 PM   #17
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

I don't think that shpeil was necessary for a comment about MSU people telling other people to stop whining about things.

We get no action for any of our concerns, and we're fed up with it. Especially engineers IMO - we turn to our MES to help us because we know how that's how things get done.
Old 02-18-2009 at 05:32 PM   #18
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Sorry that you feel that way and I was hoping we could try and enlighten both of you on ways that would perhaps better your feelings towards what work has been done.

I still feel that my schpeal was more than necessary since his post was directed at me which I felt wasn't entirely fair. I tried to explain why I thought that but I do not believe it sunk in with you two. After all, I was agreeing the entire time with your concerns about the website.
Old 02-18-2009 at 06:17 PM   #19
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

I see where David is coming from with regards to the 'official' website sources, and his point is definitely valid. The MSU website needs to be updated on a much more regular basis with regards to making information easier to find to make an informed decision. MacInsiders, as an unofficial source, shouldn't be the first or only source posting up information like that.

That said, what can we do about it? I don't know a specific answer to that, and is one of the reasons MacInsiders was founded in the first place since there was that gap in information. A possibility would be to e-mail members within the MSU who have the power to make changes and request they put up the updates that you seek.

KaesoPublius, lorend all say thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 02-18-2009 at 06:24 PM   #20
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

I agree with Chad. I really think that if you have so many problems, take them up with those in higher positions than Temara! She's doing the best she can to get the information out there. When she knows something's going on, she puts up here cause she KNOWS students read MacInsiders. She posts crap at 2 or 3 in the morning because thats when she gets home from SRA meetings! Yes, the MSU website sucks, Yes, we all have issues with the MSU, No, Macinsiders shouldn't have to be the only source for this information but harping on Temara isn't going to fix any of this. Like I said, she's doing the best she can with what she's given.

And I'm glad that the MES is so wonderful. Get some of the MES exec involved in the MSU/SRA (and I know some are) and help make the MSU as wonderful.

KaesoPublius, lorend all say thanks to kokosas for this post.
Old 02-18-2009 at 06:34 PM   #21
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
Temera, again you're telling me to look on this website for information about the referendum. You mention it was brought up at the GA - unfortunately I had class, and according to our SRA who mentioned only about 35 people showed up - so did almost 20,000 other students.
David: What Temara is trying to say is that she agrees with you. She would like to see the MSU website be a frequently updated place for information and a hub for students to be better informed, but it isn't something she is in control over. She voted in favour of improving the MSU site, but she doesn't have direct control to update content. She only mentioned the other things as alternatives you can go to get further information to help you, while there's still nothing on the MSU site. Not as an excuse to there not being stuff on the MSU website, there should be, but that those are other places you could get the info you seek (GA meeting, MacInsiders, a Facebook site, etc). So until the MSU website gets update, go and get info from those alternative sources.

What we know is whats on the poster see attached

Right now the duty of updating the website is left to the MSU Webmaster and Network Admin. From what I've seen, are spread thin and there's only so much they can do with the resources they have. Plus, ORBIS Portal not being the easiest system to use, doesn't help.

I'd recommend that the "student life development coordinator" (a full-time job within the MSU) be the person who has the job of updating the website daily and keep content fresh in the news section, posting general info/news/updates/events/achievements of student clubs/referendum information/etc. The Webmaster is busy maintaining the website and helping services put up content, while the Network Admin keeps the servers working. It's a tough job for both of them. While having each service section updated is important, that's not where the most frequent updates will be. There needs to be a blog-style news section on the homepage, similar to how we have it.

What do you guy's think could be done to keep you going back to the MSU website and make it a regular place to get your MSU-related news and stay informed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Women's Centre_2009.jpg (376.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 02-18-2009 at 08:18 PM   #22
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Chad, Not entirely sure how we can improve the msu website since "apparently"(Atle ast according to what i've read so far) NO ONE is directly responsible for its constant updating, I don't think the webmaster can be held liable for updating content. A solution would be to create a paid position(I know MSU isn't doing well financially but bear with me) of a "Msu webpage content manager" with a seperate email address to which official people/societies dump whatever they think is neccesary to be put up at the msu website. He should be competent enough to sort through the mails, condense them(or the officials/societies could be asked to adhere to a certain format/word limit) and then post them up. I think people do that right now as well, but these people aren't as efficient(no offence) at doing so because that job constitutes a small percentage of their overall responsibilites. They can easily advertise this position on the site etc, creating student jobs is never a bad thing eh?
Another point is that an updated/informative Msu site might help in reducing the overall apathy that i've noticed in the student body, If they find the site easy to use and informative they might as well get involved in the long run!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 02-18-2009 at 08:33 PM   #23
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

Woah woah woah... I missed a bunch here.

Just to clarify - the only point I was saying toward Temara was "Temara, again you're telling me to look on this website for information about the referendum. You mention it was brought up at the GA - unfortunately I had class, and according to our SRA who mentioned only about 35 people showed up - so did almost 20,000 other students."

The rest of that paragraph was a more general point. I can see now that it looks like it was directed at Temara and I apologize for any confusion in that regard. When I said "MSU People" I did not mean to imply Temera at all. Sorry!

Last edited by DavidR : 02-18-2009 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Just realized I spelt Temara wrong every time... sorry again ;)

lorend, temara.brown all say thanks to DavidR for this post.
Old 02-18-2009 at 08:38 PM   #24
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
NO ONE is directly responsible for its constant updating
From what I've seen, the webmaster and network admin are the ones currently doing the updating. Which is why I suggested passing the responsibilities of 'daily updates' to someone else, either a new position or the Student Life coordinator.
Old 02-18-2009 at 08:46 PM   #25
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
I know MSU isn't doing well financially but bear with me
This is a completely off-topic point but the budget isn't as bad as people might think it is. We're actually doing pretty well.. off-topic but yea..

I'm going to ask some questions about some things with the website and get back with answers as soon as possible..
Old 02-18-2009 at 10:25 PM   #26
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
From what I've seen, the webmaster and network admin are the ones currently doing the updating. Which is why I suggested passing the responsibilities of 'daily updates' to someone else, either a new position or the Student Life coordinator.
What is the point of the webmaster then? They are paid for 14 hours per week. If not updating the site (daily), what are they using those hours for?
Old 02-18-2009 at 10:34 PM   #27
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Sarah (the Webmaster) does a lot of artistic stuff -- the homepage banners and whatnot are made and designed by her. Some of the services utilize them but (using Compass as an example) we don't have enough knowledge of Photo Shop to create something like that, so she does.

There is also answering emails. They take up a hell of a lot of your time, especially because you have to respond to most of them as well as write others in regards to other things. I know for me sometimes this can take up to 1/4 of one of my shifts, or 30 minutes.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-18-2009 at 10:35 PM   #28
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Yes, for the most part. Some of the services have most of the control (i.e. Compass), but if there is anything artistic that needs to go up there it is often out of our hands.

I don't know which services actually update on their own, and on a regular basis. I know Compass has a lot of control over their website and update often, but if you look at some of the other services you can see it's not done at the same frequency.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-19-2009 at 02:00 PM   #29
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temara.brown View Post
This is a completely off-topic point but the budget isn't as bad as people might think it is. We're actually doing pretty well.. off-topic but yea..

I'm going to ask some questions about some things with the website and get back with answers as soon as possible..
Well Temara, I DO understand that a deficeit of 48k or so Isn't that much of a doomsday scenario, we still have reserve cash from yesteryears available, but this disclaimer was'nt aimed at Msu employees, it was more for the general everyday student who might say: "How can we PAY someone and spend extra money" when we are in a financial "disaster" etc.

And Chad Exactly my point BUT even though the webmaster and admin are doing a fair job they are not "liable/responsible" IF the website isn't updated according to a certain schedule. They do have other tasks to do as well! We need someone whose job hangs in the balance IF he doesn't update the website as instructed and according to a certain time period

MSU Vice President Education '12/13