MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How's my Life Science I Time table? Is it Balanced and Okay? HanPark9205 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 06-27-2011 10:52 PM
check my first year time table KuNFuZeD First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-09-2010 06:59 PM
Question about 2nd year time table? AnnaWM Academics 3 06-13-2010 05:04 PM
Need help with my time table. thisisje First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 06-12-2010 10:48 PM
on my time table... sj316 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-12-2008 11:35 AM

Time Table for First Year Life Science Student.

Old 07-11-2011 at 03:40 PM   #1
yoqoum

Liked: 0 Times

Time Table for First Year Life Science Student.
Hey, I am officially a mac student and I am looking for some help full tips about my course selection for my upcoming semester this fall.( first year Life Science Student)
I have
GEOG 1HA3
Bio 1M03
Chem 1A03
HTH SCI 1BS0
Science 1A00
PSYCH 1X03
Math 1LS3

Any suggestions when should I place tutorials and labs, when my time table comes in August? Can you also tell me the diffculty level for each course and any helpfull tips i should remember when staring my semester this fall. Also, where is the best place to study at mac? Thanks
Old 07-11-2011 at 03:46 PM   #2
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

I was told this last year, and I thought it was very helpful:

Schedule labs for the afternoon (if you wake up late for an 830am lab, there's a slim chance you will be able to make it up). Also, schedule them for later in the week...this way you don't have to be the first set of people to do the lab you can hear from friends about it, what not to do, etc.

Edit: BTW Hlth Sci 1BS0 and Science 1A00 aren't actually courses, they are just an online tutorial/quiz that you have to complete before your first lab.

Last edited by Biochem47 : 07-11-2011 at 04:02 PM.

yoqoum says thanks to Biochem47 for this post.

yoqoum likes this.
Old 07-11-2011 at 03:48 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Again. that's a pretty typical Life Sci I schedule. Have you looked at the course reviews for more about each individual course? http://www.macinsiders.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98

yoqoum says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.

yoqoum likes this.
Old 07-11-2011 at 04:41 PM   #4
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Make sure to consider prerequisites for level II programs.
Old 07-11-2011 at 04:46 PM   #5
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

you would need to take bio 1A03, chem 1AA3 and physics 1B03 or 1L03 as a basic courses for life sci
tutorials doesn't really matter where u put them but labs make them in afternoon usually 2:30 section, but don't make them on friday.
I think most of our midterms were on friday and u dont want to do ur lab before u have a midterm

yoqoum says thanks to cjdzl for this post.

yoqoum likes this.
Old 07-11-2011 at 04:51 PM   #6
particle
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
you would need to take bio 1A03, chem 1AA3 and physics 1B03 or 1L03 as a basic courses for life sci
tutorials doesn't really matter where u put them but labs make them in afternoon usually 2:30 section, but don't make them on friday.
I think most of our midterms were on friday and u dont want to do ur lab before u have a midterm
It was something like that anyway but I had a lab before chem midterms and I found that they helped me relaxed more than anything, provided you don't cram study. Had dinner after I finished my lab and went to write the test. Probably the best thing I could have done before my test to be honest.

yoqoum says thanks to particle for this post.
Old 07-11-2011 at 05:36 PM   #7
spenceman91

Liked: 9 Times

I know this was already mentioned.. but seriously - You're gonna want to get into Bio 1A03, Chem 1AA3 and one of the physics (1L03 or 1B03) or else you're not gonna really have the prerequisites for alot of 2nd year life sci/chemistry/bio courses.

yoqoum likes this.
Old 07-11-2011 at 06:09 PM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by particle View Post
Make sure to consider prerequisites for level II programs.
^ That's really important. What

What are your other 5 courses for Term II of 1st year?
Old 07-11-2011 at 07:10 PM   #9
yoqoum

Thanks for all your help, I should have also posted by courses for second semester
For second semester I have
bio 1A03
chem 1AA3
Anthro 1Z03
Physics 1L03
PSYCH 1XX3
I was wondering if i should change my anthro to another elective because it is only avaliable during evening. Do you recommend to have evening classes? Also I heard Physics 1B03 is really hard so I took Physics 1L03, even though I took grade 12 physics but alot of people are telling me that by then end of my second year I should finish 1B03, if i want to apply to med school. Any suggestions?
Old 07-11-2011 at 07:12 PM   #10
yoqoum

Quote:
Originally Posted by particle View Post
It was something like that anyway but I had a lab before chem midterms and I found that they helped me relaxed more than anything, provided you don't cram study. Had dinner after I finished my lab and went to write the test. Probably the best thing I could have done before my test to be honest.
so you recommend to have labs on friday by the sounds of it?
Old 07-11-2011 at 07:20 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoqoum View Post
Thanks for all your help, I should have also posted by courses for second semester
For second semester I have
bio 1A03
chem 1AA3
Anthro 1Z03
Physics 1L03
PSYCH 1XX3
I was wondering if i should change my anthro to another elective because it is only avaliable during evening. Do you recommend to have evening classes? Also I heard Physics 1B03 is really hard so I took Physics 1L03, even though I took grade 12 physics but alot of people are telling me that by then end of my second year I should finish 1B03, if i want to apply to med school. Any suggestions?
That depends, some people have the attention span to listen to a 2-3 hour lecture (I think anthro might be 2, it's the same amount as a week of day classes) while others do not. If you find yourself tired by 7, 8 or 9 o'clock then it's probably a good idea to stay away from evening classes.

Physics 1L03 IS grade 12 physics. It'll most likely be a complete waste of your time and money. Physics 1B03 may be hard for some people but it's easy for other. ALL classes have students that do really well and really bad. A lot of people do well in physics by practicing a lot. Don't just memorize stuff, but understand why it is (no need to understand in depth though). In either case, do your research on medical school. If they require a full year of physics with lab, 1L03 most likely doesn't count towards that (but you should obviously confirm with the school or get information from someone who has).
Old 07-11-2011 at 07:27 PM   #12
yoqoum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
That depends, some people have the attention span to listen to a 2-3 hour lecture (I think anthro might be 2, it's the same amount as a week of day classes) while others do not. If you find yourself tired by 7, 8 or 9 o'clock then it's probably a good idea to stay away from evening classes.

Physics 1L03 IS grade 12 physics. It'll most likely be a complete waste of your time and money. Physics 1B03 may be hard for some people but it's easy for other. ALL classes have students that do really well and really bad. A lot of people do well in physics by practicing a lot. Don't just memorize stuff, but understand why it is (no need to understand in depth though). In either case, do your research on medical school. If they require a full year of physics with lab, 1L03 most likely doesn't count towards that (but you should obviously confirm with the school or get information from someone who has).
Should I take, Physics 1L03 during my second semester, and take 1B03 during the summer? Would that be a good idea? The only reason I am taking 1L03 is to get a better understanding so i can achieve by best results in 1B03.
Old 07-11-2011 at 07:30 PM   #13
yoqoum

Should I be worried about my courses for med school during my first year or wait till i see how my marks are after my first year?
Old 07-11-2011 at 07:41 PM   #14
particle
Elite Member

Like jhan said Physics 1L03 = grade 12 physics, which practically means you'll be repeating a course. If you've taking grade 12 physics, just move on to 1B03 which is the regular introductory physics course.

I'd say have you're lab when you've got a huge time slot, like a big hole in your schedule to fill it up and probably in the afternoon as reasons have been stated above. This way you're not rushing and you've gotten a chance to eat. I got pretty hungry after only 2 hours into a 3-hour lab.

I personally didn't care about when any of my cores/tutorials/labs were, I'm better at working around things. Though I'm pretty sure I hate evening classes (never tried them), since I'm so used to going home right after school and doing my work during my high school years.

My best day during my first year all year was my first semester was Monday. 10:30am to 3:30pm, 5 straight hours of class. Brought snacks to keep me going. Was rewarded with Tuesday 1:30pm class and 3:30pm lab. Those Tuesday mornings I was able to go volunteering and more or less sleep in. Or I could have woken up early to get some work done. So basically I had a day during the week where I could go to all my classes stringed together and have what felt like a TON of free time to do homework since I didn't have to leave my studying place to go to class.
Old 07-11-2011 at 07:45 PM   #15
lux

Liked: 318 Times

Seriously, stop bumping threads like these. there are SO MANY previous ones like it.

TBH If you can't figure out what to take in FIRST year i doubt you're ready to commit to medicine.

cmon,

L'Étoile says thanks to lux for this post.

L'Étoile likes this.