MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How's my Life Science I Time table? Is it Balanced and Okay? HanPark9205 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 06-27-2011 10:52 PM
check my first year time table KuNFuZeD First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-09-2010 06:59 PM
Question about 2nd year time table? AnnaWM Academics 3 06-13-2010 05:04 PM
Need help with my time table. thisisje First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 06-12-2010 10:48 PM
on my time table... sj316 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-12-2008 11:35 AM

Time Table for First Year Life Science Student.

Old 07-11-2011 at 07:48 PM   #16
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoqoum View Post
Should I be worried about my courses for med school during my first year or wait till i see how my marks are after my first year?
Life Sci I covers a lot of the necessary pre-reqs for med school: Bio, Chem and Physics. However, don't worry about that yet, get through first year first. Also, if you really want to plan ahead, check out the requirements of the med schools you're interested in and make plans as to when to take any pre-reqs and such in later years.

yoqoum says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 07-11-2011 at 07:53 PM   #17
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by particle View Post
Like jhan said Physics 1L03 = grade 12 physics, which practically means you'll be repeating a course. If you've taking grade 12 physics, just move on to 1B03 which is the regular introductory physics course.

I'd say have you're lab when you've got a huge time slot, like a big hole in your schedule to fill it up and probably in the afternoon as reasons have been stated above. This way you're not rushing and you've gotten a chance to eat. I got pretty hungry after only 2 hours into a 3-hour lab.

I personally didn't care about when any of my cores/tutorials/labs were, I'm better at working around things. Though I'm pretty sure I hate evening classes (never tried them), since I'm so used to going home right after school and doing my work during my high school years.

My best day during my first year all year was my first semester was Monday. 10:30am to 3:30pm, 5 straight hours of class. Brought snacks to keep me going. Was rewarded with Tuesday 1:30pm class and 3:30pm lab. Those Tuesday mornings I was able to go volunteering and more or less sleep in. Or I could have woken up early to get some work done. So basically I had a day during the week where I could go to all my classes stringed together and have what felt like a TON of free time to do homework since I didn't have to leave my studying place to go to class.
Not to mention that Physics 1B03 has a large review. Newton's laws, kinematics, momentum and energy should all have been covered in high school. That's 2 months of review. Also, depending on your high school, you may have touched sound, light and/or fluids which is the rest of the curriculum.

yoqoum likes this.
Old 07-12-2011 at 12:10 PM   #18
gguarna

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
Seriously, stop bumping threads like these. there are SO MANY previous ones like it.

TBH If you can't figure out what to take in FIRST year i doubt you're ready to commit to medicine.

cmon,
As an incoming Life Science student, I can see why so many of us keep posting our schedules. Many of us have the hope of one day making it to med school, and so we want the opinion of those that have already gone through the experience. Luckily for me, my friends sister is in Life Science at Mac so she helped me alot, but without her, I feel like I would've been EXTREMELY lost, and probably posting one of these threads myself!

Biochem47, IqzFendi all say thanks to gguarna for this post.

Biochem47, IqzFendi like this.
Old 07-12-2011 at 12:26 PM   #19
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

There is a difference between dreaming to be in medicine one day and making a profile with "real name: med school" some people need to realize that things will come at the right time, just finish first year before stressing over med school. Trust me first year is not a joke.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 07-13-2011 at 02:39 AM   #20
IqzFendi

Liked: 41 Times

Hey yoqoum, I noticed that we've both got the same bio courses and math course for both terms, maybe we'll be in the same cores!

yoqoum likes this.