MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2010 World Cup thread! Rakim Athletics & Recreation 234 07-12-2010 09:39 AM
Official 2010 Timetable Checking Thread Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-09-2010 09:38 AM
2010/11 course timetable dede90 Academics 9 06-09-2010 07:40 PM
McMaster University Offers of Admission 2010 Thread Rubicon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 04-18-2010 09:28 AM

Timetable Checking & Help Thread 2010

Old 07-28-2010 at 07:54 PM   #31
purple123

Liked: 0 Times

Hello, just like most people here i also decided to make a mock timetable. This turned out well for term 1 but in term 2 i have a HUGE conflict in my schedule. My tutorial for Math1LT3 occurs at the same time as the Core section of Physics1L03. The worst part of all is that there is only 1 tutorial section for Math1L03 and only 1 core section for Physics 1LO3, so it isnt possible for me to change it. I used this link https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/index.php to figure out the available time slots for all the tutorials, core sections and labs. Is it possible that the times periods for tutorial and etc given on that link to change, or are the permanent for the given semesters? Can someone give me an advice on what next to do.... thanks in advance

Btw here are my courses for term 1 and 2
TERM1
Bio 1A03
CHEM1A03
FRENCH1A06
PSYCH1X03
MATH1LS3

TERM2
BIO1MO3
CHEM1AA3
FRENCH 1AO6
MATH1LT3
PHYSCIS1LO3

Last edited by purple123 : 07-28-2010 at 08:00 PM. Reason: I needed to add more info to make it easier for readers to solve my problem.
Old 07-28-2010 at 08:11 PM   #32
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple123 View Post
Hello, just like most people here i also decided to make a mock timetable. This turned out well for term 1 but in term 2 i have a HUGE conflict in my schedule. My tutorial for Math1LT3 occurs at the same time as the Core section of Physics1L03. The worst part of all is that there is only 1 tutorial section for Math1L03 and only 1 core section for Physics 1LO3, so it isnt possible for me to change it. I used this link https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/index.php to figure out the available time slots for all the tutorials, core sections and labs. Is it possible that the times periods for tutorial and etc given on that link to change, or are the permanent for the given semesters? Can someone give me an advice on what next to do.... thanks in advance

TERM1
Bio 1A03
CHEM1A03
FRENCH1A06
PSYCH1X03
MATH1LS3

TERM2
BIO1MO3
CHEM1AA3
FRENCH 1AO6
MATH1LT3
PHYSCIS1LO3
I'm no expert at the way SOLAR works but I'm pretty sure if that was the only way those two could be timetabled and would conflict, SOLAR wouldn't have let you register for both. It would have said something when you clicked "Verify conflicts".

But I could be wrong.
Old 07-28-2010 at 08:17 PM   #33
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttk View Post
I'm no expert at the way SOLAR works but I'm pretty sure if that was the only way those two could be timetabled and would conflict, SOLAR wouldn't have let you register for both. It would have said something when you clicked "Verify conflicts".

But I could be wrong.
SOLAR is very misleading. When it "Verify Conflicts", it's actually checking to make sure you meet all the prerequisites to take the course and not the scheduling itself. So it will let you register in conflicting courses and you can even take conflicting courses, however if your exams fall at the same time then you can't do anything about it.
Old 07-28-2010 at 08:30 PM   #34
purple123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
SOLAR is very misleading. When it "Verify Conflicts", it's actually checking to make sure you meet all the prerequisites to take the course and not the scheduling itself. So it will let you register in conflicting courses and you can even take conflicting courses, however if your exams fall at the same time then you can't do anything about it.
Thanks for your help.... oh no this isnt good at all. Btw, how important are tutorials, to be specific Math 1LT3 tutorial? Would it be best for me to leave my mock schedule as it is, and just miss the tutorial, or to take another math course?
Old 07-28-2010 at 09:15 PM   #35
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Thanks for your help.... oh no this isnt good at all. Btw, how important are tutorials, to be specific Math 1LT3 tutorial? Would it be best for me to leave my mock schedule as it is, and just miss the tutorial, or to take another math course?
That's a new course this year. So I don't know if tutorials for that class are mandatory or if you have assignments and what not to do during tutorials. Sometimes tests/quizzes are done in tutorials.

You would have to wait until the first day of class to know if you need to attend tutorials. Even if they are optional it depends completely on your aptitude at learning the material to decide whether or not you should attend tutorial.
Old 07-31-2010 at 10:21 AM   #36
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:

TERM1
Bio 1A03
CHEM1A03
FRENCH1A06
PSYCH1X03
MATH1LS3

TERM2
BIO1MO3
CHEM1AA3
FRENCH 1AO6
MATH1LT3
PHYSCIS1LO3

Is Phys only available in 2nd term? If not, you could switch it with Bio 1A03. Othat than that, there's not much you can do unless you drop French, would make things really difficult since then you'll be short two courses.

Anyway, you need to get out of that somehow, drop one of them if you cant do what I said above.
Old 07-31-2010 at 11:00 AM   #37
purple123

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Is Phys only available in 2nd term? If not, you could switch it with Bio 1A03. Othat than that, there's not much you can do unless you drop French, would make things really difficult since then you'll be short two courses.

Anyway, you need to get out of that somehow, drop one of them if you cant do what I said above.

Thanks alot for your suggestions, but i have decided to change my math course from 1ls3 and 1lt3 to math1a03 and math1aa3. With this, there are no conflicts on my mock schedule
Old 08-04-2010 at 08:54 AM   #38
manaya

Liked: 26 Times

Eeek! good luck with those maths! I find math courses during the year bothersome. But it's your call! =)

Old 08-05-2010 at 03:24 PM   #39
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

hey so i have a question about august 11.

if you go here https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /cis/ahtml/login.htm and look under student applications there is a link for undergrad personal timetables. - is this where you can check out your timetable.?

^^ do you also make the adjustments to your timetable there or do you have to log into mugsi and go to solar and do that 3rd option thing for UNDERGRAD REGISTRATION/COURSE SELECTION for the SEP 2010 SESSION and go into that inorder to make changes to your timetable.

thanks a bunch
~ KRUPESH ~
Old 08-05-2010 at 03:26 PM   #40
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by krup92 View Post
hey so i have a question about august 11.

if you go here https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /cis/ahtml/login.htm and look under student applications there is a link for undergrad personal timetables. - is this where you can check out your timetable.?

^^ do you also make the adjustments to your timetable there or do you have to log into mugsi and go to solar and do that 3rd option thing for UNDERGRAD REGISTRATION/COURSE SELECTION for the SEP 2010 SESSION and go into that inorder to make changes to your timetable.

thanks a bunch
~ KRUPESH ~
That's where you see your timetable on August 9th.

You will make all your changes on SOLAR on August 11th.
Old 08-05-2010 at 03:32 PM   #41
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by krup92 View Post

thanks a bunch
~ KRUPESH ~
Yep, you click that option, and then for whatever course you want to change the sections for, you select 'modify' from the drop-down menu on the left, and then pick whatever options you want that are available
Old 08-05-2010 at 03:41 PM   #42
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

cool thx. also do you knwo what time solar reopens on the 11th.?? i know that for picking the courses it was open at 12 in the night. so right on the day of. is that going to be the same this time around

thanks a bunch
~krupesh~
Old 08-05-2010 at 03:46 PM   #43
Ace0fSpades

Solar reopens at 8:30am on August 11th
Old 08-07-2010 at 08:57 PM   #44
waldo92

Liked: 104 Times

hey guys, i hope you don't mind looking over my mock timetable

it's only my term 1 timetable, and i've tried to get my classes done as early as possible since i'm going to be commuting

anyway, i appreciate your input, thanks in advance!
Attached Files
File Type: doc timetable.doc (43.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 08-07-2010 at 09:28 PM   #45
Ace0fSpades

Looks like a good schedule for a commuter. Sucks that the bio lab on wednesday makes you stay late. I could be wrong but isn't there suppose to be 3 physics lecture?
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo92 View Post
hey guys, i hope you don't mind looking over my mock timetable

it's only my term 1 timetable, and i've tried to get my classes done as early as possible since i'm going to be commuting

anyway, i appreciate your input, thanks in advance!