MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
master timetable: slight confusion? Joyceyblank First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 06-29-2011 10:25 PM
Pharmacy confusion Angoose Academics 10 06-13-2011 01:41 AM
Level II Confusion? JAYJAY Academics 7 05-21-2011 11:28 PM
Course Confusion!! ishk33 Academics 3 01-10-2011 09:25 PM
Course Selection Confusion Flintstone Academics 1 06-14-2010 04:49 AM

Timetable Confusion...

Old 07-29-2011 at 10:50 PM   #1
chunkyy93

Liked: 0 Times

Timetable Confusion...
Hey I am a little confused with how this timetable thing works. So I have picked my courses but how do i figure out if they conflict with each other? Someone told me that I have to check this beforehand. Also does McMaster make the timetables for us? or do we make them in the beginning of august? Also in the master timetable on the site, for each course do we only pick 1 lab, 1 core and 1 tutorial for any day/time? :S

Sorry, really confused atm lol.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Old 07-29-2011 at 10:52 PM   #2
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Right now SOLAR isn't checking for conflicts, it's only checking if everyone has the right prereqs for the courses they pick, so you would be better off making sure that your courses don't conflict. Mac will make your timetable for you and if you don't like certain things then you can go change it manually. And yea, you only pick one lab/tutorial/core per course
Old 07-29-2011 at 10:53 PM   #3
user9753
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 13 Times

To create your own timetable you can use the master timetable https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/
Old 07-29-2011 at 10:54 PM   #4
chunkyy93

Oh ok, so how do I check if they conflict or not?
Old 07-29-2011 at 10:54 PM   #5
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

You can look at the master timetable to see the times of the cores/labs/tutorials and then compare the courses
Old 07-29-2011 at 10:58 PM   #6
chunkyy93

So for each core, lab and tutorial in each course I pick only 1 time and day and then compare those times with other courses that im taking and see if they overlap?

My problem that I don't understand is that if McMaster is making a timetable for me, wouldnt that be conflict free?
Old 07-29-2011 at 10:59 PM   #7
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkyy93 View Post
So for each core, lab and tutorial in each course I pick only 1 time and day and then compare those times with other courses that im taking and see if they overlap?

My problem that I don't understand is that if McMaster is making a timetable for me, wouldnt that be conflict free?
Yes for your first question

I think, but I'm not sure about this is that when mac makes your timetable, it will show if you have a conflict
Old 07-29-2011 at 11:01 PM   #8
chunkyy93

So the best thing would be for me to make my own timetable to see if i can make a schedule that works best for me and is conflict free?
Old 07-29-2011 at 11:01 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:

It will only be conflict free if that is a possibility. Some courses only have 1 section for lectures and if they conflict then McMaster can't do anything about it. Even if courses have multiple section, it is possible that they will conflict (meaning it's not possible to not conflict) due to the number of courses you are taking (5 courses, or more if you are in engineering) as well as the number of timeslots (lectures have 1 to 3 time slots per section).
Old 07-29-2011 at 11:03 PM   #10
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Quote:
So the best thing would be for me to make my own timetable to see if i can make a schedule that works best for me and is conflict free?
Yes

/12char

chunkyy93 says thanks to MichaelScarn for this post.
Old 07-29-2011 at 11:06 PM   #11
user9753
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
You might want to read this http://www.mcmaster.ca/uts/ssr/ConflictGuidelines.pd f
It tells you what you should be aware of
Old 07-29-2011 at 11:08 PM   #12
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

This thread might be helpful: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...+make+a +mock