MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with timetable!! shannonkim Academics 1 08-22-2010 11:33 PM
Timetable Salama First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-21-2010 09:17 PM
My Mock Timetable vs. Assigned Timetable Theashe First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-11-2010 01:57 PM
timetable Theexe1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-12-2009 01:19 PM

Timetable help!

Old 06-10-2012 at 10:29 PM   #1
monardo

Liked: 0 Times

Timetable help!
Hi everyone, I'm new here and have a few questions about choosing my timetable

Firstly, I'm trying out that mock timetable generator and it's quite helpful, but I don't know what a core is. Some of them don't give me any choices, but some do. Does it matter what I pick?

Also, I know that I have to take 12 units in my program for first year; this might be a dumb question, but it does it matter in which term I take all 12 units? Am I allowed to take 6 in first term, and the next 6 in second term?

Lastly, how do I know if I'm eligible to take courses from other faculties? And am I allowed to take courses that have a 2 in front of the code instead of a 1?

Thanks so much for all your help

Olivia ♥
Old 06-10-2012 at 10:34 PM   #2
kschwab

Liked: 7 Times

doesn't matter when you take your 12 units as long as you take them this year!

If you go to http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...rrent/pg4.html and look at the courses, under each will let you know which high school prerequisite you need.

Courses with a 1 in front are level one, you need to take 30 units of level one courses to pass first year so you will be taking all courses with a 1 this year and courses with 2 or 3 next year.

Hope this helps,

Krista

monardo says thanks to kschwab for this post.
Old 06-10-2012 at 11:27 PM   #3
ymich

Liked: 8 Times

12 units is about 4 courses, because most courses are 3 units. you need to pick other courses to make 30 units. that means 5 courses per term, 15 units per term.
Old 06-11-2012 at 03:24 AM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by monardo View Post
Hi everyone, I'm new here and have a few questions about choosing my timetable

Firstly, I'm trying out that mock timetable generator and it's quite helpful, but I don't know what a core is. Some of them don't give me any choices, but some do. Does it matter what I pick?

Also, I know that I have to take 12 units in my program for first year; this might be a dumb question, but it does it matter in which term I take all 12 units? Am I allowed to take 6 in first term, and the next 6 in second term?

Lastly, how do I know if I'm eligible to take courses from other faculties? And am I allowed to take courses that have a 2 in front of the code instead of a 1?

Thanks so much for all your help

Olivia ♥
-Cores are lectures that you attend. Different cores means different time slots (noon instead of 830 or different days) or possibly different professor.
-Check your program requirements and make sure you fulfill the required courses/units taken for first year in your program. Quick google search will be enough.
-You can spread your courses as you like. The rule of thumb is 6 courses / term is the max. As long as you fulfill the requirements.
-Your faculty should have a list of allowed electives
-Course codes example 2P04. 2 indicate year 2. 4 indicates 4 units. You can take second year courses so long as you fulfill any prerequisites and you are allowed to. (Example, can't take course X because that is for engineering students only)