MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dropped Courses Thread - 2013/2014 naval23 Academics 0 06-15-2013 11:20 PM
Official 2013/14 Course Trading Thread sarahsweet MacInsiders Announcements 0 06-11-2013 02:15 PM
Official Course Trading thread 2012/2013 twirlygirly Academics 824 01-08-2013 02:07 PM
Psych 1X03 Review Thread SilentWalker Academics 15 10-28-2010 06:50 PM

Timetable Review Thread 2013/14

Old 08-07-2013 at 05:12 PM   #16
Nikitam11

Liked: 0 Times

timetable
Okay so this is my timetable, I'm definitely going to try and get term 2 monday's changed! What do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg timetable term 1.jpg (209.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg timetable term 2.jpg (219.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-07-2013 at 06:35 PM   #17
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

@mslskinner: Back to back classes non-stop for Wednesday in your schedule will be very tiring. You leave yourself no time to eat lunch! Unless you plan to eat granola bars in the middle of classes, you may want to try and move a class around lunch time to another time or day so you give yourself enough of a break in between those classes. Another advantage of having at least a short break inbetween classes is if you happen to forget to print off an assignment or report, you can run to the library and print it off quick before you have to go to your next class. Having them back to back leaves no room to do that, and you have to run to your next class which could be an issue if they are all over different areas of campus.

@annaika Similarly with your timetable as with msiskinner, I would recommend moving a class on Thursday so that you don't have 6 classes back-to-back with no breaks. You're going to get very tired very fast. And don't leave any time for eating or lunch. Another advantage of having at least a short break inbetween classes is if you happen to forget to print off an assignment or report, you can run to the library and print it off quick before you have to go to your next class. Having them back to back leaves no room to do that, and you have to run to your next class which could be an issue if they are all over different areas of campus. The rest of the days look ok.

@hasan_rizvi Timetable looks good, nice break in the middle of days, and well balanced.

@Tyler: Other than those conflicts which will obviously need to be fixed Aug 8th, your timetable looks well balanced. Morning-heavy, which is good because it leaves the rest of the day open to get things done and you have nice enough gaps to work on homework or go to the library to relax and catch up on stuff, while not being large enough of a gap to be bored. Plus you get early friday's every friday which is nice.
Old 08-07-2013 at 06:41 PM   #18
ricechrispy

Liked: 9 Times

Sorry for not providing any personal help, but some general timetable principles I tend to live by (in the order or personal priority):

1) Always strive for the better prof. Ratemyprof helps with this, and there's a link on MUGSI where you can also view previous students' course evaluations on that prof. Not many know about the link, but it can help in deciding which prof to choose. I only abide by this principle if there's a big difference in the prof. Otherwise, decide based on the criteria below. Oh also, 'better' can be very subjective, as some profs have different styles (M/C tests vs written, ppt slides vs written notes, etc.) so asking upper years may be wise if you have strong preferences or a specific learning style. For me, 'better' is someone who can keep me awake, is passionate and enthusiastic about what they do, is kind and helpful to students, and has a teaching style that I can study effectively from.

2) Avoid 8:30's, especially 8:30 labs. I'm a morning person, but there have been numerous times where I've accidentally slept in or have wanted to sleep in due to lack of sleep the night before.

3) Avoid 1 hour gaps in-between classes. It’s just more efficient to have them one after the other.

4) Try to work your schedule around your friends’. It always helps to have study buddies and mutual assistance in times you miss info/notes. But making friends is always good too! I have actually purposely avoided classes with friends or avoided sitting near them in class for the sake of making new friends!

5) Load up Mondays with classes and leave Fridays as empty as possible (so that you can go home earlier for weekends/holidays). Personally, I like to have busy Mondays so that I have lots to occupy myself with during the rest of the week and can balance my workload right from the get-go.

6) Try to leave a gap before labs so that you have more time to prep and its most fresh in your mind.

7) Avoid evening classes unless necessary. By the end of the day, we're all pooped and sitting in a 3-hr class is the last thing we'd want. But the real reason I dislike these is due to the fact that if you're stuck on a concept from the first hour, you're going to have trouble understanding the material for the following two hours. With one-hour classes in the day, you get to digest the material afterwards and clarify things before learning new material the next class.

8) Shoot for labs in the middle of the week (Wed or Thurs), so that you can ask friends who did them earlier in the week for help.

9) Strive for consistency in meals (ie. eating meals at approximately the same time of day everyday). Not a big deal, but it can lighten some of the mental load of meal planning and maintain hunger levels so that you get hungry at the same time of day everyday.
Old 08-07-2013 at 06:46 PM   #19
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

@ZainPatel: Hard to read your screenshot cause it's such a small size, but your timetable looks good. Nice lunch break gaps, A couple days you get out early which is nice, Overall well balanced. Nothing I would change.

@nicolemcd: Timetable looking very simple which is nice, everything is middle of the day which is always good, you're out by dinner time. Not many classes super early in the morning so you get to sleep in a few days a week One evening class which is ok. Gaps for eating lunch which is good too. The balance of class times looks fairly normal, nothing standing out big that I would change to make it easier or better.

@sleepyforever: Timetable looking fairly good, though your Tuesday and Thursdays in second part will be long days, running morning till evening. Just make sure to have your laptop charged so it doesn't die on your in your night class, and bring lots of granola bars to snack on Nice early Fridays and early Wednesdays every other week which is great. Thursdays in Term 1 make sure to eat a big breakfast cause you'll be in classes all day with no lunch break. Your Psych 1XX3 night class, if possible I'd try change it around if there's another non-conflicting section open. Having a class around 2, then a huge gap till 7pm at night can be a bit long, unless you're ok with sticking around on campus, eating dinner on campus and hanging out for a few hours doing homework or something those nights. Can plan your week around those nights being ones where you do lots of your catch up work like work on assignments in the library, etc.

nicolemcd, ZainPatel all say thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 08-07-2013 at 06:51 PM   #20
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

@AraOfTheFunk: I dont think your timetable is uneven at all, its actually quite nice. I like how you have a gap after a morning class, it gets you out of bed and in class, wide awake, then gives you a break afterwards to go and eat a nice breakfast on campus and hang out for a bit to get your day started. Can catch up on emails on your laptop after morning class, etc. during those gaps. And then you can grab a quick lunch and jump into your next class. So not too bad at all. Every other week you get early fridays which is nice, only thing I would look at maybe changing around is that very busy Tuesday in Term 2. Back to back classes are never fun especially if you leave no room for lunch.

@MacXie: Great balanced Term 1 and 2. Evenly spaced out classes, lunch break gaps every day, I like it!

@Nikitam11: Definitely look at getting a lunch break carved out on Term 2 monday. Term 1 looks great though, nicely balanced.
Old 08-07-2013 at 07:22 PM   #21
aliyzd

Timetable
Any suggestions ? will i even have the chance to fix my conflict when solar opens? thanks !

http://imgur.com/xN0lVf3

http://imgur.com/bkEDLu4
Old 08-07-2013 at 08:06 PM   #22
srams

I think I'm pretty okay with my timetable but just in case, any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg timetable.JPG (317.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-07-2013 at 08:34 PM   #23
DR.YZ

Life Sciences 1
Hi, could you guys please take a look at my schedule? Also, I'm wondering whether or not we're allowed to change our tutorial and lab times. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mock3.JPG (179.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 08-07-2013 at 08:46 PM   #24
jeremy14

any ideas? i'm not really looking forward to those thursdays. thanks.

http://i.imgur.com/8QstLz4.png?1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg media-20130806.jpg (403.7 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by jeremy14 : 08-07-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-07-2013 at 09:04 PM   #25
Chocobear

Liked: 1 Time

Timetable
I have three conflicts in my timetable; one of which is hard to fix... ;A;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Timetable1 Jul2013-PNG.jpg (165.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Timetable2 Jul2013-PNG.jpg (147.5 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Chocobear : 08-07-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-07-2013 at 09:14 PM   #26
EmilD

Liked: 8 Times

theres mine
Old 08-07-2013 at 09:19 PM   #27
SunannaB

How does it look?
Thanks in advance for the timetable advice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot (2).jpg (34.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot (3).jpg (33.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 08-07-2013 at 09:23 PM   #28
nilou

any suggestions? any help would be appreciated :)

Old 08-07-2013 at 09:44 PM   #29
Veer09

I'm hoping to move my 8:30 chem lab to wednesday afternoon. I'm also planning to change my chem cores to start at 10:30 Mon, wed, thurs instead of the early 9:30 start. This way I would only have one class on friday which I cant change because its the only one offered.....Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mac term 1 timetable.jpg (165.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 08-07-2013 at 10:13 PM   #30
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

@ali its fine just move to a different core
@srams looks great
@dr you don't have to go to the math tutorial can move that around if you really want
@jeremy lots of space thats good. Make sure you have the good teachers. Check the other MI thread. Term 2 nice stable classes, much better than what i had
@choco move the cores around. If you can't talk to academic advisor especially if they are required courses. If one of them is your elective you kinda have to choose another or just take the conflict and risk loss of possible iclicker marks and test conflicts
@emil nothing bad
@sunan nice and consistent I think I saw one hour breaks and I hate those
@nilou Your schedule looks alot lighter to others/what I remember (maybe yours is just more spread out. You don't HAVE to take coop right away, you can join any time during your studies but since you registered anyway there's no harm)
@veer Do it if you like. Just try to get that lab spot, cause chem lab spots are fought over quickly!

Chocobear, jeremy14, nilou all say thanks to Leeoku for this post.