MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tips for Commerce II vb101 Academics 6 06-08-2011 07:46 PM
New member, any tips? McMaster2013 Introduce Yourself 2 06-08-2010 10:47 PM
Tips for First Years adrian First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 09-04-2009 10:41 PM
Chem bio 2A03/2P03...tips and advice? *jessica.13 Academics 1 08-11-2009 01:11 PM
Course Selection: Explanations, Tips and Advice lorend ARCHIVES 41 06-24-2008 08:18 AM

Tips/advice?

Old 05-16-2011 at 02:27 PM   #1
guest_295
Happy and Helpful

Liked: 14 Times

Tips/advice?
Ive got my G road test next wednesday (25th). Im doing it at Aurora where I did my G2.

I passed my G2 the first try last summer but for some reason I have a feeling I wont pass the G first time around- but who knows.

Any tips?
Old 05-16-2011 at 02:33 PM   #2
sf

Liked: 36 Times

I just had my G test and found that it actually was pretty simple. Just take a deep breath and don't rush. Be sure to check your mirrors a lot and use your parking break.
Old 05-16-2011 at 02:38 PM   #3
mike4

Liked: 26 Times

If your worried, don't be, just know there are two mistakes that will fail you automatically. Whatever you do don't slow down on the highway, and be aware of all signs, especially construction signs modifying the speed limit...thats an easy trick, especially since most cars wont change their speed yet your expected to. Otherwise, do everything as you've learned and you'll be fine! Good luck!
Old 05-16-2011 at 03:00 PM   #4
guest_295
Happy and Helpful

Liked: 14 Times

Ive heard mixed stories.. some people say that the G test is basically another G2 with the hwy stuff added ( i.e all th parallel, 3 pt turn emergency stop etc) whereas others say its just the hwy plus maybe a 3 pt turn or something simple but not like g2.. whatd you have?
Old 05-21-2011 at 05:56 AM   #5
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

I took my G in Aurora the first time and failed. I was waiting to turn right at a red light. It turned green and I began to go - at the same time someone began crossing on the opposite side of the road (5 lanes away, still on the opposite side from me). Apparently you can't do that :(

Follow all the rules, but also important: drive fluidly and confidently. They want to see someone who looks like they've had experience, not someone who just borrowed a car for the test and has barely touched one previously.

Some common tips/bad habits to be careful for:

Tailing through on left turns in an intersection. Only one car at a time should enter the intersection to wait. When it turns red, don't try and chase the car ahead through.

Turning left when opposite traffic is turning right. Opposite traffic always has the right of way and goes first, even if they are turning. The exception is on a dedicated turn signal. If you are waiting to turn right and opposite traffic has a dedicated signal, you are not allowed to go (a lot of people disregard this, but you can fail your test).

Check your mirrors and blind spot even when entering a new lane.

Don't drive too slowly. It's more important to drive with the pace of traffic, than exactly the speed limit. If traffic is moving 10 over, don't hesitate. On the highway, stick to the right and center lane as much as you can.

Exaggerate everything. Look at things, routinely check your mirrors, both moving and stopped.

Don't forget to use your signals when parking.

Good luck!
Old 05-21-2011 at 08:45 AM   #6
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

i passed both the G and G2 on the first go.

Helpful hints:

The G is just like the G2 with HWY stuff. I did I believe a 3pt turn , || parking and regular HWY driving. lasts about 30 mins. Just make sure you are at the speed limit when merging (i.e don't slow down) and you'll be fine.
Old 05-21-2011 at 11:42 AM   #7
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

Alot of people think the G test is all about highway but its actually everything.
The main key is that the G test is All About Observation. So the instructor wants to see you scanning at intersections, checking blind spots, Rear view mirror when braking, signalling properly in three point turns. The highway portion is the easiest since you merge in, they ask you to do like 6 lane changes and then you exit.

What helped me was doing the same thing I did for the G2, Say aloud, what your doing. Example: when merging, say under your breath "checking blind spots".

These tests can be nerve racking cause its a pain to reschedule and do it again but don't worry about it, its nothing like exams

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;