MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Buying a laptop from Titles? anon491 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-13-2010 12:04 PM
buying a laptop cjdzl Computers & Tech 5 07-22-2010 12:58 PM
Laptop Buying Tips Chad Technology 224 09-02-2009 02:48 PM
Tips for Buying a Laptop (Extended Edition): Part Two crucif3x Technology 9 08-31-2009 11:01 PM

Tips For Buying a New Laptop: Extended Edition (Part One)

Old 07-09-2009 at 10:21 PM   #15
crucif3x
Program: Life Science
Year: First
Residence: Moulton Hall

Liked: 21 Times
Well Macs aren't perfect either... they do have some problems. But one thing they do have are a lot of accessories! Something most Apple products do well
- Moulton Hall
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 07-09-2009 at 10:55 PM   #16
florencem.
Program: Social Sciences
Year: Second
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 34 Times
Thanks ! helpful article

Last edited by florencem. : 07-09-2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-10-2009 at 08:53 PM   #17
Infinity
Elite Member
Program: Science
Year: Second

Liked: 93 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucif3x View Post
Well Macs aren't perfect either... they do have some problems. But one thing they do have are a lot of accessories! Something most Apple products do well
Nothings perfect. If you can afford a Mac... its worth it. Windows is good... I'm a windows user have been for years. Its the computers themselves that stink. It's hard finding one that's built strong to last long. Macs give you that... the operating system may not be the greatest thing but they perform really well. Windows can perform well to but its usually poor hardware that prevents people from using it to its full potential!
Old 07-11-2009 at 03:57 PM   #18
mike_302
Elite Member
Program: Engineering & Society
Year: Other

Liked: 422 Times
Talk to me about laptops with touch screen. Lasting? Durability? Screen protector? How about the rotating monitor and the very small link it has between the screen and the actual machine.

Im interested in one of those for next year since Im going into engineering, and getting a laptop to TYPE physics notes and diagrams, and same with math, seems a bit pointless.
Old 07-11-2009 at 11:47 PM   #19
crucif3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
Talk to me about laptops with touch screen. Lasting? Durability? Screen protector? How about the rotating monitor and the very small link it has between the screen and the actual machine.

Im interested in one of those for next year since Im going into engineering, and getting a laptop to TYPE physics notes and diagrams, and same with math, seems a bit pointless.
Ah... yes... another "emerging" market. Well so far "tablets" or laptops with touch screens have been fairly ignored since some of the first generation models weren't that great and the technology was not as mature. However, after the exploding success of the iPhone and various touch technologies (Microsoft Surface & more accurate touch screens), it has slowly been more accepted by the general consumer market.

Most consumers are familiar with the HP line of tablets. I have used the first generation one quite extensively myself and have come to the conclusion... it's a gimmick. Unless you are an artist who needs the dexterity only a pen and paper feel can provide or are obsessed with writing and need the bridge between the analog writing and digital world. I'd pass on them. But it seems if you are in engineering, I guess drawing diagrams might make the tablet useful.

Keep in mind this is based of the one tablet that I've tried (My friend's HP tx1000) as well as a bit of hands on time with the Lenovo X200 Tablet and a Fujutsu model my company has.

Firstly, they are generally more expensive than plain laptops. For the same price, you can purchase a better spec'ed machine (usually 12.1") for the price. You are simply paying for the gimmick.

Second, most menus (even the tablet edition of Windows) are simply not stylus or finger friendly enough to use daily.

Third, the hinge mechanism on many tablets are actually quite fragile and a constant reason for repairs from the tablet's that I've seen. Although the one on my friend's HP was actualy quite strong. Newer generation tablets from HP and the Lenovo seems to have remedied this problem. But if you are purchasing one, definitely pay attention to the build quality of the hinge as it will be under alot of stress and is usually the breaking point of most tablet, so make sure yours is strong.

Now regarding the screen, most are resistive, meaning they are made up of two layers and when the first layer that your finger or stylus push "inward" and touch the second layer, an electrical signal is received and sense your position. These are more "precise" and allow the use of pointing devices other than your finger.

Some newer ones use capacitive touch screens like the iPhone and instead use a field of electrodes and are able to sense your finger that way. However, you must use your finger or a conductive type pointing device. The advantage of capacitive touch screens are multitouch and usually feel a bit faster.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages but newer tablets are mostly capacitive using technology developed by Wacom (a noted electronic tablet accessory maker).

The touchscreens on most newer tablets are just as good as non-tablets and hold up pretty well. Most are re-enforced in the back are will not require a screen protector. A screen protector might even hinder the sensitivity of your touchscreen so I would not recommend one for a tablet.

In terms of accuracy, the TX1000 sucked... calibration was mediocre and the accuracy horrible at times.

Overall, it would seem they are not worth it, to me at least. However, if your needs really do require one, the ones nowadays are much better than the one I tried. I'd personally recommend you try one out in person to get a feel of the touch interface. You can also buy an accessory called the Brando SISO Tablo which converts ordinary laptops to a tablet. You can video of it here: http://www.gadgetreview.com/2009/04/...ter-video.html
You get the same type of tablet feel but only without the swiveling screen. If you really like it, than you can buy a really tablet laptop.

Also, there is an interesting new competitor to the tablet scene, the Asus T91. Essentially a netbook in a tablet body yet still at a netbook price, it should serve as a cheaper option if you do not want to spend $1200 on a piece of technology you may or may not like. It should be coming out soon for around $500 USD. Here's a link to it. http://gizmodo.com/5310791/asus-t91-...stores-for-500

A netbook is basically a gimped out laptop with slower specs and mainly designed for less intensive tasks like net surfing. They usually have smaller screens (12" or less) and have a slower processor (usually the Intel Atom). Most have very similar specs (Intel Atom 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 160GB hard drive, WLAN, etc).
- Moulton Hall

Last edited by crucif3x : 07-12-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-12-2009 at 10:24 AM   #20
mike_302
Elite Member
Program: Engineering & Society
Year: Other

Liked: 422 Times
hmmmmm. Im kind of disappointed now by the toch screen market I was sure I was going to get one for engineering, but ... now I just dont know.

It was going to be a BEAST of a desktop in my rez, and a decent touchscreen laptop that remote desktopped to the desktop in rez... That way everything is shared and whatnot, and I could do notes on the computer in any class. Maybe I will rethink that. Your explanation was VERY helpful!

I know a tonne about computers myself, and am very tech saavy, but to have your former-salesmen opinion, in 100% truth, not trying to sell me any particular item: Its priceless.

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2009 at 06:13 PM   #21
crucif3x

LOL no problem. I guess you could try out the Tablo, but that uses optical technology and probably isn't as accurate. But at least you can see for yourself if you like it or not. It's only good for some people, I just so happened to not be one of them.

Glad I could help
- Moulton Hall
Old 07-12-2009 at 10:45 PM   #22
slx4
Program: Mechanical Engineering and Management
Year: Fifth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 4 Times
http://www.notebookcheck.net /Mobil...ist.844.0.html

ranks on the best mobile video cards

http://www.notebookcheck.net /Mobil....2436.0. html

ranks on the best mobile processors

-For most people, playing new demanding games on a laptop is EXPENSIVE
-try to avoid amd, intel "pentium"
-core 2 duo is the way to go
-2gb+ram for vista. if its expensive to upgrade ram for the laptop you are purchasing online for example, you can buy laptop ram by itself and google how to install it if you don't know how to already (not difficult at all, but i suggest you avoid this if you don't like fiddling around with electronics)
-(for people looking at windows 7) almost all laptops now are coming with vista, so try to get vista home premium or greater as you get a free upgrade to windows 7 when it comes out (between June 26, 2009 and January 31, 2010.)

hopefully some of this helps, feel free to give me a message if you have some more questions. just trying to give a little back to macinsiders for helping me prep last year
Old 07-13-2009 at 09:13 AM   #23
sdiddy
Program: Life Sciences
Residence: McKay Hall

Liked: 4 Times
Nice article. You talk about buying a smaller laptop than a 15.4" because it is too heavy:

Quote:
I usually recommend students to buy 14” or smaller. I have owned a 15.4” laptop (admittedly a larger one, but that is beside the point) and it was HELL bringing it to school or anywhere else for that matter.
Though I somewhat agree with you, I can't help but pick two laptops off the dell site and compare the weight. The Inspiron 13 starts at 4.9 lbs while the Studio 15 starts at 5.5 lbs. That's a difference of 0.6 lbs, which is rather insignificant. I would opt to buying the heavier Studio 15 and receive more bang for my buck. The 15 is undoubtedly a much better laptop in terms of the configuration. There is no reason why I wouldn't carry an extra 0.6 lbs for that reason. That's just one comparison from one brand (Dell), so I'm you could more comparisons just to see the difference isn't as much as you may think.

Last edited by sdiddy : 07-13-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-30-2009 at 11:10 PM   #24
crucif3x

Yes, while it might seem insignificant. 0.6lbs over 4 years is alot. Also, the weight difference is a tangible one, while the specification difference is one an average user might not even feel unless you partake in gaming or resource intensive activities online.

Of course, it is just a general rule and there are exceptions to it. Obviously, personal preference also comes into play, just as a user and sales, I've seen too many people regret their purchase due to the wrong size. Usually, because the 15.4" options are just so much better spec'ed most of the time and on sale, leading to an even larger price difference which many cannot refuse. Of course, this is all my opinion and experience and your purchase is entitled to your viewpoints. Thanks your input!
- Moulton Hall
Old 07-31-2009 at 05:29 AM   #25
kanishka
winning
Program: Software Engineering
Year: Fourth

Liked: 39 Times
could you tell me one thing: should one go for the laptops with DDR3 ram or DDR2 ram? the benchmarks for both don't show a big difference...and also not many laptops are offering DDR3 option...and the ones with DDR2 are much cheaper...but again DDR3 is the latest and it does feel tempting to go for DDR3 laptops....wat do u suggest-will it make a huge difference if we go for DDR2 instead of DDR3 or barely any difference?
Old 07-31-2009 at 09:10 AM   #26
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User
Program: Business
Year: Fourth

Liked: 47 Times
DDR3 is much faster then DDR2. Typically for laptops DDR3 runs at 1067 mhz while DDR2 runs at 667 for desktops the difference is minuscule as DDR2 is running at 800mhz and is often overclocked.
Old 07-31-2009 at 11:55 AM   #27
crucif3x

I personally would go for DDR2 for now. As you said, in benchmarks, there is a difference but not one that typically justifies the large cost difference. If your using an integrated graphics chip, it might be a bit more beneficial as the graphics uses the RAM module, but the performance advantage drops if your using a dedicated graphics chip.

It is slightly more energy efficient. So you might get a few more minutes of battery life from the DDR3 RAM vs DDR2 RAM. Other than that, in real life situations, you probably won't notice the speed and battery life differences but you will notice the extra $100 in your pockets
- Moulton Hall

Article Tools