MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taking Science electives as a Social Science student? gabrielle.lr First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 06-12-2011 11:28 AM
Tired old med school question... Kendoon Academics 13 08-18-2010 11:48 PM
Admitted into Social Science and told i wont be able to switch into a Science program MariaQ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 05-23-2010 03:47 PM
Urgent: Science And Social Science Macpasses Sold Out! casey.park MacInsiders Announcements 29 09-06-2009 09:04 AM

Tired of the HSR? Grover for SRA Social Science

Members have rated post #362607 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 03-11-2013 at 02:43 PM   #16
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
What about those with night class until 10? What about those who work late to pay for tuition or rent? Or those who assist after hours on campus volunteering? There is no denying that young people aren't getting enough sleep these days, which has its own share of health risks. To wake up for 7:30, a person should, ideally, be asleep by 10:30.

That's cutting it close with regard to people finishing at 10. And it's $121.80, according to McMaster's website.
Why are you asking me questions? I wake up at 6.45 everyday to travel an hour and I sleep at 11-ish. Maybe you should push for the university to not have classes until 9pm, I'm sure even the rez people would agree with that.

And $121.80 still isn't much compared to what people would have to pay if this deal wasn't in place but that's not a reason for excuse. You still need to say what you have in mind for solving this though.

@Chris, I think everyone will appreciate if you take these threads seriously instead of pooping in them.

Eric_G likes this.
Old 03-11-2013 at 02:45 PM   #17
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Seems to me you are taking up this campaign from dogma built by a late arrival and or statistical anomaly in the HSR's arrival times which you have been a victim of.

Afzal likes this.
Old 03-11-2013 at 06:14 PM   #18
Eric_G

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
$121.80 still isn't much compared to what people would have to pay if this deal wasn't in place
It boggles my mind how many people don't realize this! A MONTHLY pass is $87.00, per month! We have an amazing deal worked out, and people really fail to realize this. (Source: http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/...brochure.pd f )

Last edited by Eric_G : 03-11-2013 at 06:20 PM.

Afzal, Ish001, starfish like this.
Old 03-11-2013 at 06:22 PM   #19
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_G View Post
It boggles my mind how many people don't realize this! A MONTHLY pass is $87.00, per month! We have an amazing deal worked out, and people really fail to realize this. (Source: http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/...brochure.pd f )
You're saving $574.20/person.

I wonder if the HSR is actually losing money. I know not everyone uses their bus pass, and if we didn't have them included in supp fees not everyone would buy one either. But I wonder if losing nearly six hundred dollars per person who would have bought the pass is worth it for them. I know that's the main reason you can't opt-out of the bus pass, because then it's financially stupid from HSR's perspective, but I wonder how the numbers actually would work out.

Eric_G likes this.
Old 03-11-2013 at 06:29 PM   #20
Eric_G

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
You're saving $574.20/person.

I wonder if the HSR is actually losing money. I know not everyone uses their bus pass, and if we didn't have them included in supp fees not everyone would buy one either. But I wonder if losing nearly six hundred dollars per person who would have bought the pass is worth it for them. I know that's the main reason you can't opt-out of the bus pass, because then it's financially stupid from HSR's perspective, but I wonder how the numbers actually would work out.
I think the reason they're willing to do it is because they're pulling a profit from it-- but it's all just speculation. I'd imagine the mass purchase, as it's mandatory, outweighs the "potential" profit. I doubt the city would continue to let the deal go on if it they weren't pulling in some profit from it.
Old 03-11-2013 at 06:41 PM   #21
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_G View Post
I think the reason they're willing to do it is because they're pulling a profit from it-- but it's all just speculation. I'd imagine the mass purchase, as it's mandatory, outweighs the "potential" profit. I doubt the city would continue to let the deal go on if it they weren't pulling in some profit from it.
There are other factors though...even if HSR doesn't profit directly, the city's economy might because students are more likely to go places (downtown) more frequently than they would if they didn't have a bus pass, and therefore will be spending more money to put into the city's economy. Also, if they want to get Mac grads to stay in/around Hamilton after they graduate, these students need to become familiar with the city in order to want to stay, and the bus pass allows that.

Maybe I'm just extraordinarily cheap, but I know I wouldn't have gone out and done a lot of the things I did if I didn't have a bus pass.

Also, I'm not sure how long the pass has been mandatory for, but I assume Mac's population has grown a lot since then. There are more people living further away from the university who would be more likely to buy bus passes regardless of whether or not they're mandatory.

Afzal, BlakeM like this.
Old 03-11-2013 at 08:05 PM   #22
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

I am sure they pull a profit from it since many people would likely choose other methods of getting around if the pass wasn't prepaid. I have used the bus only a handful of times in the last couple years since I live close to Mac and the stores. I try to opt-out but they wont let me :(
Old 03-11-2013 at 08:33 PM   #23
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

As a student who lives 10 kilometres from the school and likes to adventure all over the city by bus (and has been using the HSR for ten years) I'd like to point out that McMaster enjoys some of the best bus service in the city. Is it a pain in the butt sometimes, and do you have to plan ahead? Yeah - but it's a heck of a lot better than the $500/month I was paying to insure and fuel my car, never mind maintenance costs. The only time I'm late for class is if my toddler is hanging onto my leg because he doesn't want me to leave. Sometimes there are anomalies - if none of the buses you're waiting for are coming, there's a good chance they've been detoured because of an accident or a broken water main - and the city will be fixing that problem for a lot of people very soon by opening up live transit data for public use so you can see when that happens!
Old 03-12-2013 at 12:43 AM   #24
amare

Liked: 22 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighp View Post
As a student who lives 10 kilometres from the school and likes to adventure all over the city by bus (and has been using the HSR for ten years) I'd like to point out that McMaster enjoys some of the best bus service in the city. Is it a pain in the butt sometimes, and do you have to plan ahead? Yeah - but it's a heck of a lot better than the $500/month I was paying to insure and fuel my car, never mind maintenance costs. The only time I'm late for class is if my toddler is hanging onto my leg because he doesn't want me to leave. Sometimes there are anomalies - if none of the buses you're waiting for are coming, there's a good chance they've been detoured because of an accident or a broken water main - and the city will be fixing that problem for a lot of people very soon by opening up live transit data for public use so you can see when that happens!
Thats pretty sad that we're receiving some of the best service in the city, considering that what we're getting is pretty bad...

Last edited by amare : 03-12-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 03-12-2013 at 07:36 AM   #25
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amare View Post
Thats pretty sad that we're receiving some of the best service in the city, considering that what we're getting is pretty bad...
It's not bad. It's just main/king mostly, and at the morning rush... honestly every other time and location on bus routes, things have always been on time and smooth. Drivers are dicks sometimes though.

If you're not totally stupid (not speaking to anyone specifically) just plan ahead and go to the previous bus stop, and you make somebody else wait.
Old 03-12-2013 at 12:24 PM   #26
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

My feeling on this topic is that most people who complain about the bus service probably never had to take a bus before coming to McMaster. Occasionally buses are a little late for very legitimate reasons. Sometimes they are a touch early (but the HSR asks that you be at the stop at least three minutes before the scheduled time). The only way you get rid of that problem completely is to get rid of human drivers and refuse to stop for passengers when running even seconds behind.
And as far as people on Sterling not being able to get on the bus - it's less than a ten minute walk from King and Sterling to the campus. Unless there is something wrong with your legs you can walk or bike to class. Even in the middle of winter I sometimes make the trip by bike from the other side of the city!

Eric_G likes this.
Old 03-12-2013 at 01:36 PM   #27
Porsche911

Liked: 7 Times

Suck it up and walk. Students commuting from anything further than a 30 min walk have a legit point. Anyone living anywhere around Westdale/Ainslie Wood has zero reason to complain.

Better yet, get a bike. It takes me no more than 15 min to get to any of my classes and I'm not particularly close to campus. There has been maybe two weeks all year where I could not bike due to weather so Canadian winters is not an excuse either.
Old 03-12-2013 at 01:52 PM   #28
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche911 View Post
Suck it up and walk. Students commuting from anything further than a 30 min walk have a legit point. Anyone living anywhere around Westdale/Ainslie Wood has zero reason to complain.

Better yet, get a bike. It takes me no more than 15 min to get to any of my classes and I'm not particularly close to campus. There has been maybe two weeks all year where I could not bike due to weather so Canadian winters is not an excuse either.
I was going to write this, then I remembered there's something called winter.