MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about summer school! reillea Academics 3 06-11-2010 05:17 PM
Question Regarding Summer School Classes eleduc Academics 10 01-05-2010 10:05 PM
Summer school question HG88 Academics 4 12-25-2009 11:38 PM
Question About Summer School & Transferring Skip First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 02-26-2009 01:24 PM
Graduate school admission question (easy question) Mac12 Academics 3 09-30-2008 06:27 PM

Tired old med school question...

Old 08-18-2010 at 07:34 PM   #1
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Tired old med school question...
I have a very simple question about a student who is PROSPECTIVELY wanting to go to med school but likes to keep his options open because he is not 100% sure that he will want to, let alone be accepted

Here goes:

I have heard everything from "YOU NEED A YEAR OF OCHEM+LAB ZOMG!!!!" to "just do what you want and keeps you interested, you can always pick up extra course credit later on".

Well, which one is it? If there are any recently accepted students or current med school students, as ashamed and cliched as I feel in asking this, do I really need to take organic chemistry immediately? I plan on taking it in summer school if I require it. My course loads are very high and filled with quite technical subjects and I simply would have more headache than ever if I had to take organic chem right now. Do med schools (like mac's) frown in any way upon you taking ochem in the summer?

QUESTION FOR THE AGES

COMMENCE BICKERING AND LAUGHING AT THE LOWLY AMBITIOUS UNDERGRAD, ETC

Old 08-18-2010 at 07:47 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
I have a very simple question about a student who is PROSPECTIVELY wanting to go to med school but likes to keep his options open because he is not 100% sure that he will want to, let alone be accepted

Here goes:

I have heard everything from "YOU NEED A YEAR OF OCHEM+LAB ZOMG!!!!" to "just do what you want and keeps you interested, you can always pick up extra course credit later on".

Well, which one is it? If there are any recently accepted students or current med school students, as ashamed and cliched as I feel in asking this, do I really need to take organic chemistry immediately? I plan on taking it in summer school if I require it. My course loads are very high and filled with quite technical subjects and I simply would have more headache than ever if I had to take organic chem right now. Do med schools (like mac's) frown in any way upon you taking ochem in the summer?

QUESTION FOR THE AGES

COMMENCE BICKERING AND LAUGHING AT THE LOWLY AMBITIOUS UNDERGRAD, ETC
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...2.html?t=29582

Take a look at that. Generally you'll want to do orgo for the MCAT so depending on when you want to take the MCAT, you'll want to take orgo before that.

Otherwise you can take it any time you want. Just make sure you comply with the regulations of each school concerning summer courses. Some don't accept them, some do, some don't consider it in your average. Do your research early so you are prepared.
Old 08-18-2010 at 07:58 PM   #3
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

When I was writing the MCAT, a few of my friends didn't take orgo but they were fine - both were accepted in 3rd year. I found taking orgo helped, but it wasn't really necessary and it went into more detail than was actually required.

As long as you have the credit when you apply, it doesn't matter. Or, if you're taking it in 4th year, you may have a conditional acceptance until you've finished that. For the Ontario schools you really don't need to take organic (as long as you do the biochemistry requirements) ... but if you take it in the summer it opens up options for your OOP schools. Schools don't care when you take it as long as you have the credit.

Organic chemistry is definitely doable, but if you're worried about the marks take it in summer. If you do poorly, it will only affect your McMaster application.

Old 08-18-2010 at 08:14 PM   #4
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
When I was writing the MCAT, a few of my friends didn't take orgo but they were fine - both were accepted in 3rd year. I found taking orgo helped, but it wasn't really necessary and it went into more detail than was actually required.

As long as you have the credit when you apply, it doesn't matter. Or, if you're taking it in 4th year, you may have a conditional acceptance until you've finished that. For the Ontario schools you really don't need to take organic (as long as you do the biochemistry requirements) ... but if you take it in the summer it opens up options for your OOP schools. Schools don't care when you take it as long as you have the credit.

Organic chemistry is definitely doable, but if you're worried about the marks take it in summer. If you do poorly, it will only affect your McMaster application.
Cool, thanks.

So for someone who isn't insanely good at chemistry, especially organic, what would you suggest? Take it during the year and bite the bullet and attempt to get the best mark I can possibly get (also potentially ruining a great GPA ) or take it in summer school?

You said schools don't care when you take it as long as you have the credit, is this true of all Canadian medical schools? I assume you did the course in 2nd year as intended and didn't have a problem.

Perhaps you could give me some tips regarding ochem (2oa3) at mac and what it was all about, there are too many stories.

My two main concerns are; a) Not getting a good enough mark and it tanking my GPA, and b) Not taking OChem and it coming to bite me in the ass later, perhaps in future courses, the MCAT or even med school itself (purported lack of knowledge)

Last edited by Kendoon : 08-18-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-18-2010 at 08:30 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Cool, thanks.

So for someone who isn't insanely good at chemistry, especially organic, what would you suggest? Take it during the year and bite the bullet and attempt to get the best mark I can possibly get (also potentially ruining a great GPA ) or take it in summer school?

You said schools don't care when you take it as long as you have the credit, is this true of all Canadian medical schools? I assume you did the course in 2nd year as intended and didn't have a problem.

Perhaps you could give me some tips regarding ochem (2oa3) at mac and what it was all about, there are too many stories.

My two main concerns are; a) Not getting a good enough mark and it tanking my GPA, and b) Not taking OChem and it coming to bite me in the ass later, perhaps in future courses, the MCAT or even med school itself (purported lack of knowledge)
I have a 5 and 6 in my transcript, it knocks my GPA down less than .5 on the 12.0 scale and less than .15 on the 4.0 scale. If you are on the border of the average they accept then you should consider taking it in summer (although some schools also take your summer courses into calculation) otherwise it doesn't hurt THAT much. Although .15 is still pretty significant.

The only problem you can face is if you take a course in summer and the school doesn't accept it. Like I advised, do your research early. Schools aren't the same and you show make sure you meet all the requirements and conditions for each you plan on applying to.
Old 08-18-2010 at 08:37 PM   #6
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
Cool, thanks.

I took 2OA3 during the summer of 1st year and did quite poorly. The professor was awful and bombed most of the class, but I was also taking physics at the same time. I took 2OB3 during the school year and did MUCH better. The only advice that I can give you for 2OA3 is to practice lots and study often - make sure you really understand the concepts at the beginning or they'll start to snowball. That's probably why I found 2OB3 much easier - I had more time to absorb all of the information and time to practice. It's really up to you and your learning style.

For the most part, all the Canadian medical schools don't care where/when you take a course - as long as it's from a Canadian institution they will count the credit (usually not the mark, except for Mac). It gets a bit iffy if you start doing international courses, but I'm assuming your not going that route.

Theoretically though, if you are going to tank a course - you should take it in the summer. The only school it affects is Mac since they count summer courses. I'll PM you with more information.

As long as you take organic chemistry before you take the MCAT, it shouldn't bite you in the ass. Keep in mind that most people who write the MCAT are biology or life sci majors so any competitive advantage (through organic chemistry, which is a weak subject for many) could be beneficial.

Quote:
I have a 5 and 6 in my transcript, it knocks my GPA down less than .5 on the 12.0 scale and less than .15 on the 4.0 scale. If you are on the border of the average they accept then you should consider taking it in summer (although some schools also take your summer courses into calculation) otherwise it doesn't hurt THAT much. Although .15 is still pretty significant.

The 6 that I have knocked my cGPA by 0.05 on a 4.0 scale. It's a huge difference if you're applying to medical school.

Last edited by Lij : 08-18-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-18-2010 at 08:53 PM   #7
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post

The only problem you can face is if you take a course in summer and the school doesn't accept it. Like I advised, do your research early. Schools aren't the same and you show make sure you meet all the requirements and conditions for each you plan on applying to.
I already have a 4, 5 and 6 on my transcript from first year mistakes. Otherwise my first year was paltry. I had a ~8 average in first year. I'm going to kick it up a notch (as many people do starting after first year) but I worry that just having those as part of my cumulative GPA will keep me from even qualifying based on GPA score alone, lol

I know my annual GPA will be higher but I also know that they take both into account.

Old 08-18-2010 at 08:57 PM   #8
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
I already have a 4, 5 and 6 on my transcript from first year mistakes. Otherwise my first year was paltry. I had a ~8 average in first year. I'm going to kick it up a notch (as many people do starting after first year) but I worry that just having those as part of my cumulative GPA will keep me from even qualifying based on GPA score alone, lol

I know my annual GPA will be higher but I also know that they take both into account.
Most schools focus on two best or most recent. This http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...6.html?t=21916 is just for the Ontario schools, but it's useful knowledge. Calgary takes your two best and Dalhousie takes your two most recent. You should check the school's website for the most up-to-date information though.

Old 08-18-2010 at 09:24 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
The 6 that I have knocked my cGPA by 0.5 on a 4.0 scale. It's a huge difference if you're applying to medical school.
HOLY CRAP! And that's with 120units?! What was your final cGPA 3.5? XD
Old 08-18-2010 at 09:26 PM   #10
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
HOLY CRAP! And that's with 120units?! What was your final cGPA 3.5? XD
What an awful typo, I meant 0.05. xD

It was only based off of 3rd year + 12 units of summer school though. I stopped caring about my undergrad marks after May lol.

Old 08-18-2010 at 09:39 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
What an awful typo, I meant 0.05. xD

It was only based off of 3rd year + 12 units of summer school though. I stopped caring about my undergrad marks after May lol.
Oh ok! Lol, that makes SO MUCH more sense. XD Yeah, 0.05 can still make a big difference in medical schools especially if you are on the border of the average they usually accept. But grades aren't everything, you just need enough to get to the interview stages. Then if you kill it there you're golden XD
Old 08-18-2010 at 09:52 PM   #12
naimaa

Liked: 6 Times

I agree with everyone. Honestly, don't be too scared of Orgo. If you do all the practice and put in the effort to ask for help when you need it (even if it means becoming bestfriends with your orgo TA), do it! It will be worth it in the end.

And I thought the Orgo class helped much when studying for the MCAT. It just gives you more of a confidence boost and more time to spend on subjects you are really struggling with.
Old 08-18-2010 at 11:40 PM   #13
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

Question, when do people usually start applying for med school? do you have to wait until you're in the final year of your program or are you allowed to apply earlier?
Old 08-18-2010 at 11:48 PM   #14
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
Question, when do people usually start applying for med school? do you have to wait until you're in the final year of your program or are you allowed to apply earlier?
U of A accepts after 2nd year, but your chances of getting in are very low. Many schools accept students after 3rd year. Western requires the completion of an honour's degree before starting medical school.

When do people usually start applying? Depends on the person. Usually 3rd or 4th year. Keep in mind that a lot of people don't get in after their first cycle, so they may apply after that as well.

anon491 says thanks to Lois for this post.