MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Question about summer school! reillea Academics 3 06-11-2010 05:17 PM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM
Summer school question HG88 Academics 4 12-25-2009 11:38 PM
Question About Summer School & Transferring Skip First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 02-26-2009 01:24 PM

Question Regarding Summer School Classes

Old 01-05-2010 at 02:28 PM   #1
eleduc

Liked: 49 Times

Question Regarding Summer School Classes
Hi there,

I know the 2010 courses won't be posted until March but I am likely going to be registering for two courses in the first semester (one history, one elective) as I had to take only an 80% course load this year due to unforeseen circumstances.

Last summer, all the history courses were offered twice a week at night. Does anyone know if the majority of courses offered are night courses, or are there day courses as well? I really don't want to be traveling to Mac four nights a week if I can avoid it.

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2010 at 02:48 PM   #2
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

I'm pretty sure the distribution of classes in terms of day/evening is similar to during the regular school year (i.e. majority are in the morning/afternoon).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

eleduc likes this.
Old 01-05-2010 at 04:49 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

They're almost all offered at night, actually.

Only rarely are courses offered during the day, and they tend to be commerce or psych courses from what I recall. Science labs are during the day too.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

eleduc says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 01-05-2010 at 05:23 PM   #4
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

Weird, it probably varies from course to course. I distinctly remember pretty much all of the biology courses from last spring/summer term were during the day.
Old 01-05-2010 at 05:24 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

You have labs for these classes right? That's probably why.

Any Humanities or Soc Sci class that I've taken or friends have taken have been at night...as usual we get the short end of the stick.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-05-2010 at 05:27 PM   #6
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times

Most economic courses are offered during the day.
Old 01-05-2010 at 05:33 PM   #7
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
You have labs for these classes right? That's probably why.

Any Humanities or Soc Sci class that I've taken or friends have taken have been at night...as usual we get the short end of the stick.
A lot of the Science classes are also at night (excluding the labs). I know orgo and biochem were only offered in the evening last year. It is really a shame...I dont think anyone wants to be stuck in a classroom for 3 hours on a warm night :(
Old 01-05-2010 at 07:03 PM   #8
eleduc

Liked: 49 Times

Hmm...my fears confirmed. While I'm sure there is some ridiculous...err.. administrative reason for this, it really makes no sense to me and basically guarantees that you will be stuck at Mac four nights a week for anyone looking to take more than one class.

Having the course listing out before the drop and add date for term 2 would make this so much easier to decide on.

Sorry, I'm venting. I love Mac but the inefficient procedures for just about everything blow my mind. Who did I just pay all that money to again?

blarg.

schneider likes this.
Old 01-05-2010 at 07:29 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Classes are offered at night because more people are able to take them; those that work full time for example.

Old 01-05-2010 at 09:38 PM   #10
schneider

Liked: 0 Times

Definitely makes sense, but McMaster is kidding themselves if they think every student can acquire a full-time Monday to Friday 9-5er. Lots of my friends are forced to work varying schedules and late nights which really doesn't mesh with night-only classes.

It would make more sense to offer both and then adjust based on enrollment... I can see why this would be a nightmare logistically but yeah, I can still dream.
Old 01-05-2010 at 10:05 PM   #11
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I like that most of the classes are at night - tends to work with your work schedule, and you never have to wake up early, nor do you have to suffer through crazy Hamilton heat during the peak sun hours of the day. :] Of course, depending on your job, these might not be easy to avoid.

The only thing I don't like about summer school however, is that it is a little too condensed. While I have never taken it before, I have friends who've taken it and have way limited knowledge of particular subtopics compared to other students who've taken the courses an entire year.

In that respect, it's best to do electives in summer school (should you have the choice) and ones that are not THAT pertinent to the courses you'll be taking in subsequent years, since you'll be at a disadvantage.