MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Teaching ESL overseas (primarily china/korea/japan) killza Volunteering Opportunities 4 07-22-2010 02:08 PM
Selling Adorable nails so i can fly bak to China and see my family [email protected] General Discussion 2 03-21-2009 11:09 PM

Toddler run over in China...

Old 10-23-2011 at 06:41 PM   #16
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarley View Post
that is waisis (although i completely agree)
FTFY........
Old 10-23-2011 at 07:27 PM   #17
alexithymia
I smell chips.

Liked: 47 Times

I saw this the day it was released on Youtube. Yes, it is sad that so many people passed by and no one helped until it was too late. Thing is, it's kind of the mindset there. There are so many beggars and other sad things on the streets, people get used to it and don't bother doing anything. Also the fear of being blamed, like stated before.

If this happened in any other country, I don't think the outcome would have been much different. People may respond faster, but there would still be some people who would keep walking. It's just that this gives people one more reason to hate China (even though, really, they should only be hating the 18 people who walked by..and the drivers).

Also, does anyone else somewhat blame the mother? I mean, she left the kid alone to find a washroom (if I remember correctly).
Old 10-23-2011 at 08:04 PM   #18
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 255 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
When I can guarantee that all you internet white knights out there would have done the same thing given similar circumstances.
You might want to look into the real definition before you go throwing it around like that. Because it's not applicable in this situation whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
And I am in no way supporting what was done, I just don't agree with most of you here.
Wait, you judge us for chastising the bystanders for doing nothing, but then you claim that you don't back their actions? There are two responses: either you do something about it or you don't. There is no middle ground here.
Old 10-23-2011
swarley
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-23-2011
alexithymia
Old 10-23-2011
swarley
Old 10-23-2011 at 08:35 PM   #19
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

This is simply a product of the dilution of human worth by a numbers, nothing more. More people = less worth for an individual
Old 10-24-2011 at 01:30 PM   #20
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
You might want to look into the real definition before you go throwing it around like that. Because it's not applicable in this situation whatsoever.

Wait, you judge us for chastising the bystanders for doing nothing, but then you claim that you don't back their actions? There are two responses: either you do something about it or you don't. There is no middle ground here.
While I agree with the white knight statement, there's nothing wrong with being the devil's advocate right?
I don't back their actions at all whatsoever, and if this were to happen in Canada, it might have ended differently. But it didn't happen in Canada.

So unless you have been in the exact same situation as them, you can't judge them. You have no grounds to.
Old 10-24-2011 at 01:38 PM   #21
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

Actually, similar cases have occured in Canada. I remember seeing a news article about an aboriginal man whose friend was drowning in the pond at a park, and he ran around begging people to call an ambulance but no one did until it was already too late (like 30 minutes later).

edit: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...park-1108.html

J. Dorey, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to anon491 for this post.
Old 10-24-2011 at 03:58 PM   #22
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
Actually, similar cases have occured in Canada. I remember seeing a news article about an aboriginal man whose friend was drowning in the pond at a park, and he ran around begging people to call an ambulance but no one did until it was already too late (like 30 minutes later).

edit: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...park-1108.html
Thank you for posting this. I sparked a discussion on my facebook wall with the link to the China story. So this should be enough proof for those blaming 1.4 billion people and a whole nation for something that CAN happen in Canada too...
Old 10-24-2011 at 05:43 PM   #23
Rudiger

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Thank you for posting this. I sparked a discussion on my facebook wall with the link to the China story. So this should be enough proof for those blaming 1.4 billion people and a whole nation for something that CAN happen in Canada too...
The two stories aren't really similar. One is people ignoring what would have appeared to be a crazy bum, the other is people ignoring a child they witness being struck by a vehicle.

I ignore crazy bums all the time; there's zero chance I'd ignore a hurt child.
Old 10-24-2011 at 07:50 PM   #24
BenTran

Liked: 3 Times

This is sad :( RIP... but the blame can't be placed on an ethnic race or nation. The bystander effect is practically demonstrated in all countries and race.

Did a quick Google search and I found this:
"10 Notorious Cases of the Bystander Effect"
http://listverse.com/2009/11/02/10-n...tander-effect/

Last edited by BenTran : 10-24-2011 at 07:53 PM.