MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Late Residence Acceptance x0xalishax0x First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-24-2010 03:02 PM
revoked acceptance Black.Mamba Academics 29 07-02-2010 09:00 AM
Paranoid about losing my acceptance. olive First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 06-30-2010 09:53 PM
acceptance rates??? macculkin Academics 2 01-15-2010 12:27 AM
Acceptance conformation email... xxsumz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 06-10-2009 11:51 AM

Is it too late for acceptance?

Old 05-26-2010 at 08:07 AM   #1
amare

Liked: 22 Times

Is it too late for acceptance?
So I e-mailed Mcmaster liaison about the commerce program and I asked them if I would still be accepted if I hand in my last required mark (one math cource) by middle of June. They said that "Our current admission average for Business 1 is 82%. Unfortunately any grades submitted to the University after May may be too late for an offer of admission for September 2011 we do not anticipate making any more offers to this program at this point". My average is around 81.5% so was wondering how good or slim are my chances to being admitted. I accepted my Social Sciences offer from Mac but Commerce was my #1 choice and i really want to get in.
Old 05-26-2010 at 09:40 AM   #2
sf

Liked: 36 Times

Based on the email and the fact that the deadline to accept offers is coming up soon I would say that you are not going to get accepted. The best thing you can do is to try and transfer to commerce after 1st year.
Old 05-26-2010 at 10:22 AM   #3
khaotic

Liked: 18 Times

I guess you can hope enough people reject their offers by May 31st to see if you get an acceptance later on? But EVEN if that were to happen I don't think you would be high on the list since you already accepted the social science offer from Mac.

Your best bet would be to take commerce at another school or do what was said above. Go into 1st year social science, take some commerce courses as your electives and summer school as well. You might be able to move into 2nd year commerce after 1st year, or you might still be stuck in 1st year commerce, but I guess it's better than nothing? I know most people don't like the idea of giving an extra year for university, but it is definatly better than graduating and realizing you hate your degree.

Contact the social science faculty and degroote school of business about what you should do. It might also be a good idea to make an appointment with an academic adviser.
Old 05-26-2010 at 04:48 PM   #4
RomanT

Liked: 1 Time

Mac told me they send out acceptances until the 25th. Today is the 26th.
Old 05-26-2010 at 09:45 PM   #5
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Your average being 81% and them saying that the minimum is 82% and that they do not anticipate sending out any more acceptances should be enough to tell you that you won't be getting accepted, not this year.
Old 05-27-2010 at 12:32 AM   #6
Laydee Death

Liked: 4 Times

Hey, don't worry too much about it. Accept Soc Sci and go into it first year, and like mentioned above, take a lot of the require courses for commerce I and do really well in them and hopefully you can transfer into commerce in second year!