MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Late Residence Acceptance x0xalishax0x First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-24-2010 03:02 PM
Is it too late for acceptance? amare First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 05-27-2010 12:32 AM
Will my offer be revoked if i have two courses this semistar? MariaQ Academics 19 05-16-2010 03:32 PM
acceptance rates??? macculkin Academics 2 01-15-2010 12:27 AM
Acceptance conformation email... xxsumz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 06-10-2009 11:51 AM

revoked acceptance

Old 06-29-2010 at 06:34 PM   #1
Black.Mamba

Liked: 13 Times

revoked acceptance
Hey, I have a sister who got accepted into the medical radiation program at Mac for the fall.
However, she found out today that she was just slightly under the required 80 percent average needed to maintain the acceptance in the program.
Is her acceptance going to be revoked? Or does she have other options like upgrading courses?
Old 06-29-2010 at 06:44 PM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

I would say call the office of registrar right away and see if she needs to take a course in summer school to bumb it up
Old 06-29-2010 at 07:26 PM   #3
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times

How close was it? If its a matter of 1%, I can't see why any of her teachers would not bump her grade.

Old 06-29-2010 at 07:42 PM   #4
BenTran

Liked: 3 Times

SUmmer school won't matter for mcmaster since they don't take summer marks recieved prior to the start of university. I suggest telling your sister to ask her teachers to bump her mark up since mcmaster is pretty strict on marks.
Old 06-29-2010 at 07:56 PM   #5
x_hikari

Liked: 14 Times

like others have said, they don't take summer school prior to start of university and will revoke her acceptance even if it's 1% under. I learned that the hard way.
but hopefully, unlike my teachers, one of your sister's teachers will be willing to bump up her grade
Old 06-29-2010 at 07:57 PM   #6
california

Liked: 0 Times

^ how did you get into mac then?
Old 06-29-2010 at 09:43 PM   #7
x_hikari

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by california View Post
^ how did you get into mac then?
Worked for a year as a teaching assistant while taking extra courses at a public school
I don't regret it though, met some amazing people and learned a lot about myself and what I really want to do during my extra year.
Old 06-29-2010 at 10:28 PM   #8
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Don't be afraid to ask your teachers for some help.

If I had my time back I would have asked for a few bumped up grades. I didn't get my acceptance revolved but I missed out on the renewable scholarship money by .2%. Like wtf?
Old 06-30-2010 at 02:08 AM   #9
Sam321

Ask her to grovel for a 1% raise.
Old 06-30-2010 at 02:33 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam321 View Post
Ask her to grovel for a 1% raise.
1% is a lot. If you are taking 8 courses you will need a 8% raise in total in order to raise your average by 1%.
Old 06-30-2010 at 02:54 PM   #11
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

They only count the top 6 courses, though...so you'd need an extra 6% in these courses (all of them put together). Sometimes it's really stupid...I had a 91 in advanced functions, which had to count because it was one of the required courses for life sci, but since calc/vectors wasn't required, it wouldn't count towards my average unless it was one of the top 6 marks. So, even if I got 95 in it, it wouldn't have counted...I needed at least a 96 for it to make it into the top 6 and get the scholarship I wanted. You'd think they'd take your calc/vectors mark over advanced functions if you have both, but they don't.
To the OP, make sure the average you're calculating is based on the top 6 marks including required courses, and then figure out which teachers to beg based on that
Old 06-30-2010 at 03:05 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
They only count the top 6 courses, though...so you'd need an extra 6% in these courses (all of them put together). Sometimes it's really stupid...I had a 91 in advanced functions, which had to count because it was one of the required courses for life sci, but since calc/vectors wasn't required, it wouldn't count towards my average unless it was one of the top 6 marks. So, even if I got 95 in it, it wouldn't have counted...I needed at least a 96 for it to make it into the top 6 and get the scholarship I wanted. You'd think they'd take your calc/vectors mark over advanced functions if you have both, but they don't.
To the OP, make sure the average you're calculating is based on the top 6 marks including required courses, and then figure out which teachers to beg based on that
Oh right, I forgot that they only look at your top 6 including required courses. But still, 1% in each course can be difficult to get.
Old 06-30-2010 at 04:50 PM   #13
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Not to bring you down but I heard how McMaster "over accepted " poeple htis year ( and its happened beofre) so if they have a way to get rid of you..happy for them. But call , you never kno if someone is nice . If they say no, call back and talk to someone else
Old 06-30-2010 at 05:22 PM   #14
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

All programs always "over-accept" to compensate for the number of people who will likely not accept their offer of admission. It's a tad difficult to predict who will and who won't accept their offer, so you can't really say if they'll actually find "a way to get rid of you." It literally varies from year to year.

In other words, you were accepted for a reason so whether or not you are able to stay within the conditions of your offer is your prerogative. I'm sure McMaster departments would be glad to take on more students who were able to keep their average above a certain level and who are able to academically prosper.

To OP - Like a lot of people have said, get your sister contact the department/registrar's office and ask for any ways to remedy the situation. It's possible that something as simple as a letter explaining how your sister plans to improve her marks in first year could very well prevent an offer from being revoked. Good luck!

california likes this.
Old 06-30-2010 at 09:43 PM   #15
california

i called in and apparently there are vacancies this year in certain programs
tell her to take summer school to bump up her grades!