MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
retracted offer dede90 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-17-2010 05:26 AM
revoked acceptance Black.Mamba Academics 29 07-02-2010 09:00 AM
Will they reject your offer if this happens? Sintos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 23 06-12-2010 07:13 PM
Conditional Offer Theexe1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-10-2009 06:51 AM
Accepted my offer! Now what..? kwun First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 04-12-2009 03:41 PM

Will my offer be revoked if i have two courses this semistar?

Old 05-14-2010 at 10:35 PM   #1
MariaQ

Liked: 0 Times

Will my offer be revoked if i have two courses this semistar?
Hey guys

so i have a huge problem

I've been offered admission into Social Science I and they used my top six courses (English, adv functions, bio, art, exercise science, law)

this semistar i have : Exercise science, art, and calculus (a lunch and spare)
however.. im doing really bad in calculus and my math teacher recommended i just drop the course because she doesnt really see a point considering i dont even need the course for my program and she doesnt see me doing well in the course since i've missed soooooooo much of it

so im trying to get it dropped, but i realized that with only two courses in a semistar im going to be considered a part-time student

so at finals, will Mac revoke my offer?
Old 05-14-2010 at 10:45 PM   #2
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

You'll need MCV 4U if you want to switch into science, as most (all?) science programs require either math 1A03 or math 1LS3 - both of which have Calculus & Vectors as a prerequisite

Old 05-15-2010 at 12:17 AM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
You'll need MCV 4U if you want to switch into science, as most (all?) science programs require either math 1A03 or math 1LS3 - both of which have Calculus & Vectors as a prerequisite
Calculus and Vectors shouldn't exist in the curriculum anymore and Advance Functions is an equal prerequisite for those math courses.

@OP: Are you sure you're a part time student? Usually full/part time status is determined over the entire year and not per semester. You should make sure with your school's academic advisor (or whatever they call it since I don't think it's that).
Old 05-15-2010 at 01:50 AM   #4
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

You should be fine cause in my last year of highschool I only had 2 courses in my final semester and they didn't revoke my offer. I actually only had 4 courses throughout that year. So you should definitely not get your offer taken away from you unless they changed that in the last 3 years, but i doubt it.

Old 05-15-2010 at 02:06 AM   #5
MariaQ

Liked: 0 Times

really!? ok good, im going to call the academic advisor for social science at mac on monday and just make sure

i wish my councellor told me this before so i could call and ask first

thank you so much
Old 05-15-2010 at 07:21 AM   #6
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

@ Jhan: Actually if you drop a course and maintain a 2 course/semester workload at a semestered school, you're instantly part time.
@ OP: I'd recommend calling Mac up and going through the letter detailing your conditional offer as well to see if there's anything about full time vs part time

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 05-15-2010 at 01:37 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
@ Jhan: Actually if you drop a course and maintain a 2 course/semester workload at a semestered school, you're instantly part time.
Oh, that's kind of weird... I don't remember that at all at my highschool...
Old 05-15-2010 at 02:27 PM   #8
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Calculus and Vectors shouldn't exist in the curriculum anymore and Advance Functions is an equal prerequisite for those math courses.
I wasn't aware that MCV4U was removed from the high school curriculum in the one year I've been out, and that all the people I know in kin who had to take an equivalent course at mac in order that they could take their Math 1LS3 that's a program requirement were wasting their time.

For some reason I can't get the calendar to open right now, but I'm fairly sure that in order to take 1LS3 or 1A03 you need MCV4U. Either way, if calc is giving you trouble in high school, I would recommend taking either of those without having had some background in it.
Old 05-15-2010 at 02:39 PM   #9
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
That will vary from one school board to another. I was a full time student my last year of high school, but only had 2 classes each semester.
Old 05-15-2010 at 03:04 PM   #10
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
I wasn't aware that MCV4U was removed from the high school curriculum in the one year I've been out, and that all the people I know in kin who had to take an equivalent course at mac in order that they could take their Math 1LS3 that's a program requirement were wasting their time.

For some reason I can't get the calendar to open right now, but I'm fairly sure that in order to take 1LS3 or 1A03 you need MCV4U. Either way, if calc is giving you trouble in high school, I would recommend taking either of those without having had some background in it.

hes confused with the calculus course from 3 years ago. The MCV 4u course is still around as caclulus and vectors. (this course came out in high schools in year 2007-2008)
Old 05-15-2010 at 06:10 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
That will vary from one school board to another. I was a full time student my last year of high school, but only had 2 classes each semester.
Oh ok, I thought I remembered some people being full-time with extremely low amounts of courses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post
hes confused with the calculus course from 3 years ago. The MCV 4u course is still around as caclulus and vectors. (this course came out in high schools in year 2007-2008)
I'm actually even more confused now... in my year they cancelled calculus and vectors and replaced it with two courses, advance functions and calculus. This seems to be what the OP is reffering to, since she has taken advance functions already and is considering dropping calculus.

@arathbon: I can assure you that Math 1A03 and Math 1LS3 both have Advance Functions as a prerequisite. The calendar won't load for me either, but it goes something along the lines of "One of calculus and vectors, advanced function and (something else which I think is actually an university course)".
Old 05-15-2010 at 07:32 PM   #12
Joann
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 8 Times

To Jhan523:

The school year of 2007-2008 was the year I graduated - and the first time they changed the math courses. It became "Advanced Functions" and "Calculus and Vectors". I think you've just forgotten and remember it as "Calculus" but I think you're in the same year as me and trust me, two years does seem like a long time ago! : )

Last edited by banjobee : 05-15-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-15-2010 at 07:47 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobee View Post
To Jhan523:

The school year of 2007-2008 was the year I graduated - and the first time they changed the math courses. It became "Advanced Functions" and "Calculus and Vectors". I think you've just forgotten and remember it as "Calculus" but I think you're in the same year as me and trust me, two years does seem like a long time ago! : )
I'm quite certain it was just calculus for me. I definitively never learned anything about vectors in math.
Old 05-15-2010 at 07:58 PM   #14
Joann
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 8 Times

Really? Hmmm... that's interesting. It was the last unit in the course and it wasn't that extensive. They implemented it because they felt that students going into engineering needed to have knowledge in that area.

Personally, being in the Faculty of Science though, I don't think it was very useful. I guess knowing more though is better than knowing less.
Old 05-15-2010 at 10:34 PM   #15
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I'm quite certain it was just calculus for me. I definitively never learned anything about vectors in math.
Your teacher didn't do their job lol... jk but in the vectors section of MCV 4U, you were supposed to cover stuff like vectors, planes, and things like solving linear systems, gaussian elimination, and of course word problems (stemming from dot and cross product) like torque, relative velocity problems and work!