MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
courses from other faculties? Jackxer0 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-27-2010 02:59 PM
switching faculties? m&ms Academics 2 02-27-2010 01:32 AM
Switching faculties Needlenose Academics 5 12-30-2009 06:52 PM
Transferring Faculties leaffan General Discussion 2 05-03-2009 01:35 PM

Transferring Faculties

Old 10-28-2010 at 07:32 AM   #16
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

how do you transfer into engineering?
Old 10-28-2010 at 08:18 AM   #17
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
*BUT the only thing i would add is that MOST engineers can get away with just getting a bachelors, whereas most b.a,b.sc's,b.commerce are a dime a dozen and graduate school (phd's,mba's) is necessary in order to further your career, but if you really love what you do it it wont matter anyways....(multiple degrees is also good!)
Actually, graduate school doesn't help most students, regardless of program. MBAs for example are more or less useless if you don't have work experience before completing them. Most companies aren't going to hire an MBA grad with less than two years work experience in the field (ie people from McMaster's program) to manage employees who have worked there for years.

What helps people get jobs after graduation is work experience and employability skills.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-28-2010 at 08:43 AM   #18
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Actually, graduate school doesn't help most students, regardless of program. MBAs for example are more or less useless if you don't have work experience before completing them. Most companies aren't going to hire an MBA grad with less than two years work experience in the field (ie people from McMaster's program) to manage employees who have worked there for years.

What helps people get jobs after graduation is work experience and employability skills.
the point i was trying to make is that good luck trying to get an ideal (or fairly close to ideal)with just a bachelors degree (for those programs i specified). And just out of curiosity what exactly are you planning to do?
Old 10-28-2010 at 10:22 AM   #19
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
And just out of curiosity what exactly are you planning to do?
I'm not quite sure. A lot will depend on my grades from this year.

My program offers practicum options, and it's apparently not that difficult to get them in NGOs, government etc. So it's possible to get employment from those organizations afterward.

I've also got quite a bit of experience in journalism, so I could do that, copy editing, or a bunch of things.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement