MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
graduate schools ForeverLost Academics 1 10-12-2013 07:33 PM
professional schools MacJk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 03-12-2013 07:58 AM
Graduate Schools and Course Loads Dorick Academics 4 04-07-2012 02:20 PM
Switching schools and programs Mowk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 10-31-2011 10:19 PM
Med schools.. ishk33 General Discussion 7 08-20-2009 08:25 PM

Is transferring schools really hard?

Old 01-05-2014 at 10:05 AM   #1
moosecm

Liked: 1 Time

Is transferring schools really hard?
I currently live in Rez & as much as I enjoy the fun and freedom, I can't help but miss home more and more everyday. My grades range all over the place from A-Cs. If I wanted to transfer to York would it be next to impossible due to my grades? Also can I transfer even when a term has begun?
Old 01-05-2014 at 10:48 AM   #2
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

It depends on what program at York you're looking at. They should have information up on their website regarding transfers the same way they had info up regarding high school applications. York will have a rough cut-off grade and course requirements they want for a transfer and Google can probably help you find that out.

You should also go see the Academic Advisors in your faculty and ask them about the procedure. Maybe they can even help you find the requirements. They are there to help you with things like this. I'm not sure if you can start in the middle of the term, but again the Academic Advisors/York representatives can probably help you with that as well.

Good luck!
Old 01-05-2014 at 01:04 PM   #3
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Chances are, you won't be able to transfer all your credits. So be prepared to re-take some classes or play catch up if you do transfer.

Old 01-05-2014 at 01:22 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Saying that your grades range from A-C doesn't really say much. That could mean mostly C's with a few B's and A's in there, or mostly A's with a few B's and C's, or anything in between. Your GPA matters more than the range of grades.

You should talk to the admissions people at York.
Old 01-06-2014 at 01:53 PM   #5
dragalie

Liked: Liked 3 Times

I'm transferring to U of T for next year and it wasn't too difficult. I got my acceptance letter a couple of weeks ago.

You just have to apply on OUAC using the 105D application and declare as a transfer applicant. It'll really help if you could email the registrar and inquire about cut-off grades for the program you're aiming for because they don't usually post transfer cut-off grades on the website. But regardless I think you'll most likely be able to get in. Your first year courses probably transfer; http://futurestudents.yorku. ca/transfercredit.

Good luck!

The right-hand side on that website has some useful links; http://futurestudents.yorku. ca/requirements/cmu .

Last edited by dragalie : 01-06-2014 at 02:01 PM. Reason: added a link
Old 01-06-2014 at 02:13 PM   #6
BenDover
Account Locked

Liked: 63 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosecm View Post
I currently live in Rez & as much as I enjoy the fun and freedom, I can't help but miss home more and more everyday. My grades range all over the place from A-Cs. If I wanted to transfer to York would it be next to impossible due to my grades? Also can I transfer even when a term has begun?
You realize that after graduating, you will eventually be living on your own and starting your own life? Why not suck it up and put on your big boy pants and take this as the learning experience that it is. Everyone misses home to some degree when first being away for a prolonged period of time. Once you meet a group of friends and maybe even get a house off campus with them next year, they will become a second family to you. Dont transfer schools just because you miss your family (which is only a half hour down the road)
Instead, skype them, call them, or make plans to go home some weekends. Dont give up on Mac though just because of a case of homesickness

Zaya says thanks to BenDover for this post.

YNWA likes this.
Old 01-06-2014 at 04:41 PM   #7
YNWA
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 6 Times

Ha, I lived in my own for my last year of high school and it actually went pretty well. Just gotta stay positive and motivated.

Also, see the above post.