MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
One Tree Hill cityinsight Movies & Television 4 04-22-2012 02:20 PM
Gore Park Christmas Tree Lighting Tomorrow (Dec 2nd 5:30pm) Chad MacInsiders Announcements 4 12-03-2011 10:54 AM
Program tree? Tedjoa Academics 10 06-14-2011 10:50 PM
Looking for tree! L'Étoile Computers & Tech 8 06-14-2011 05:42 PM
Dedicate a Tree! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 05-16-2009 01:55 PM

TREE PLANTER for a summer job?

Old 10-14-2013 at 06:37 PM   #1
Bigmacfatpack

Liked: 13 Times

TREE PLANTER for a summer job?
Thinking of working for a hardcore tree planting company this summer to make a bucket load of money for school/tuition/travel, and for the physical demands I guess. I've heard some pretty general stories of intense weather like heavy rainfall or even snow during the summer months in Northern Ontario, the gruelling/backbreaking work, and the loads of money you make for planting every tree.

But I was wondering if anybody could share with me their experiences working as a tree planter...anything at all, details are good lol. And any recommendations or suggestions would be great.

I was thinking of going with A&M Reforestation or Outland Reforestation for 2 months this summer (July to August?), not for the full months, as I think that would be wayyyy too gruelling and demanding. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited by Bigmacfatpack : 10-16-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-14-2013 at 07:13 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Do you actually have a job offer yet or are you just thinking of applying? Most contract work is more favourable in pay if you stick it out longer, so I'd be open to how long you'll be staying... if you can handle it and the guys you're working with are good, might be a better idea. Inferring that you 'couldn't handle it for the full two months' also could lead them to think you're not physically up to it, and I would explain that you have family obligations instead, as an excuse. On the other hand, you're likely to be stuck there, and are essentially trading a lot of time away for money...
How much is a 'boatload' anyways?
Old 10-14-2013 at 07:20 PM   #3
Bigmacfatpack

No, you apply, but I won't have a problem getting the job offer. Contract doesn't really matter. I was just asking what the experience is actually like.
Although from what I've heard, it's definitely not an easy job, and is very physically demanding because you're outside, regardless of weather, planting small trees for like 7-8 hours on end.
Old 10-14-2013 at 10:15 PM   #4
Defroster

Liked: 9 Times

The 7-8 hours is more like 9-12 hours. And from what I've heard from friends its very physically demanding, but also a great time. There is a lot of fun to be had during non-work hours.
Old 10-14-2013 at 10:24 PM   #5
UnfortunateL

Liked: 7 Times

What's your physical condition like currently?

The physically demanding portion becomes easy after the first week or so. You get used to extreme demand quickly, if you're in a decent physical shape prior to that.

Other than that, if you like that sort of thing there shouldn't be any problem. Apply, take a look at what they offer moneywise, and then decide whether or not you want to. Only you will be able to make that call.

I've found that general labourers/skilled labourers are all very interesting people and great to work with. Everyone has their story to tell, and they're usually great. If there's any older guys that have been doing it forever they will warn you to go to school and not do the job as a life career.

I always enjoyed talking to people who did labour, they always taught me something.
Old 10-14-2013 at 10:28 PM   #6
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I've heard, directly from a guy who did it himself, that it's not as quick of a return on your investment as you think. You get money per tree planted right? But you only plant a lot of trees if you have the right equipment for the job. He said that equipment cost him a pretty penny and that he didn't make any money until the second year at it. The first year, you pay off your equipment and your basic needs, and for your "recreation". The second summer is when you'll see your bank account grow.
Old 10-16-2013 at 11:39 PM   #7
Bigmacfatpack

Yeah, I would say I'm pretty darn fit when it comes to endurance and muscular strength. I've always been an athlete, so that's not a problem.

The only 'physically demanding' part I'm a little worried about is the back and shoulder pain because honestly, doing that repetitive, low to the ground movement for hours on end every single day really takes a toll on your body and the muscles you are stressing (and aching later) everyday - it is very physically demanding.

And on that note, yeah, I've heard of some people saying that the equipment is quite expensive, everyone has their own niches of what they learnt and the specific equipment they like to use (usually the ppl there don't guide ya and give u a helping hand), and yeah, you do have to pay for your living, food, and board, but that's usually paid within a week or so, depending on how many trees you plant.