MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Avenue To Learn ShesTheMan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 12-16-2010 11:29 PM
Quiz on avenue Juve General Discussion 11 09-23-2010 06:41 PM
Avenue to Learn polo Academics 7 08-29-2010 07:19 PM
Psych Quiz on Avenue to Learn logans First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 08-18-2010 09:16 PM
Avenue to Learn Matt Wright MacInsiders Announcements 24 06-04-2010 01:47 PM

Tribute to Avenue to Learn Quiz system

Old 03-10-2011 at 12:48 PM   #1
Mansoor

Liked: 1 Time

Tribute to Avenue to Learn Quiz system
In the great wisdom of who ever designed the Avenue to Learn system; it was decided that quizzes must be submitted to be marked. Not only that. if you forget to submit the quiz u do not only get zero, but you are also unable to see the correct answer. Combine that genius system with six courses and a forgetful person like me and you have a recipe for mark leakage. it is a state where marks start flying in the madness of mid university life crises.

Regardless of the mark loss, pain, and grief that i was caused by this seemingly poor system. I want to find out what was the intention of whoever designed this system. Maybe there is some mysterious wisdom in this that i cannot see.

Rakim says thanks to Mansoor for this post.

Rakim likes this.
Old 03-10-2011 at 01:00 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Its not too hard to just press submit...

alh24 likes this.
Old 03-10-2011 at 01:00 PM   #3
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

...just write down all the assignments you need to do in a booklet or something so you don't forget...
Old 03-10-2011 at 01:03 PM   #4
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

"Quizzes must be submitted to be marked"... How is that unreasonable? That's essentially like saying that you did your assignment, but you left it sitting on your desk instead of handing it in, and you're angry that it wasn't marked.

Like Justin suggested, all you can really do is try to remember things more. It's not really the fault of the people who designed the system. I imagine that when they added the "submit" button, it was because they assumed people would understand that you had to click it in order to submit something.

Last edited by alh24 : 03-10-2011 at 01:14 PM.

danallan, L'Étoile like this.
Old 03-10-2011 at 01:05 PM   #5
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

This is a good thread, im bookmarking it for later.
Old 03-10-2011 at 01:09 PM   #6
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

"quizzes must be submitted to be marked"

your point being?

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 03-10-2011 at 01:28 PM   #7
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I think the OP is referring to the amount of times you have to click various "Submit" buttons when you're writing a quiz on Avenue.
Even after what you'd think would be the final "Submit" button, there's a page asking if you're SURE you want to submit your quiz. Then you have to press "Submit" again.
Old 03-10-2011 at 02:02 PM   #8
Mansoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
"Quizzes must be submitted to be marked"... How is that unreasonable? That's essentially like saying that you did your assignment, but you left it sitting on your desk instead of handing it in, and you're angry that it wasn't marked.
true true i admit that much, but i remember the days of good old common sense in web ct and even elm. both systems allowed the user to save his/her answers and not submit in the same instant. that way if the user wishes to review or edit their answers they can do so at a later time. once you submit your answers there is no going back.

Sometimes analogies make sense, this one does for a paper system, but It is not a piece of paper they do not have access to. it is electronically saved. they have all the answers i saved. yet when the time runs out, instead of the system submitting my saved answers by default. the system simply discards the answers I have.

yes broken systems have solutions that require people to do extra work to live with, but why not have a better system. why decrease in quality. if both elm and web-ct supported this, surly it is not impossible to make it work in the current system.

Instead of just venting on the forums though I would like to get this complaint to someone who can do something about it. I sent the guys at avenue to learn my concerns and suggestions. that was five weeks ago. no reply and no answer.
Old 03-10-2011 at 02:05 PM   #9
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansoor View Post
true true i admit that much, but i remember the days of good old common sense in web ct and even elm. both systems allowed the user to save his/her answers and not submit in the same instant. that way if the user wishes to review or edit their answers they can do so at a later time. once you submit your answers there is no going back.

Sometimes analogies make sense, this one does for a paper system, but It is not a piece of paper they do not have access to. it is electronically saved. they have all the answers i saved. yet when the time runs out, instead of the system submitting my saved answers by default. the system simply discards the answers I have.

yes broken systems have solutions that require people to do extra work to live with, but why not have a better system. why decrease in quality. if both elm and web-ct supported this, surly it is not impossible to make it work in the current system.

Instead of just venting on the forums though I would like to get this complaint to someone who can do something about it. I sent the guys at avenue to learn my concerns and suggestions. that was five weeks ago. no reply and no answer.
Fair enough. That's your professor though, I think. A few times last term a guy in one of my courses posted on the discussion board that he forget to hit submit, but the professor said they got their quiz since it was saved.

I don't know if it's changed since last term, if the professor was somehow mistaken and she hadn't received his quizzes, or if your professor just doesn't accept them if you haven't hit submit.
Old 03-10-2011 at 02:07 PM   #10
...?!
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 76 Times

At least you didn't lose marks for right answers like I have (on more than one occasion).
Old 03-10-2011 at 02:25 PM   #11
Mansoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
A few times last term a guy in one of my courses posted on the discussion board that he forget to hit submit, but the professor said they got their quiz since it was saved.
My professor said he spoke with the guys at avenue and they told him that it was not possible to get the to allow automatic submission of the quiz. Or at least that is what I remember. My course 2FA3 is 500 students. I would imagine the nightmare if the prof had to listen to people complain, then go check the answers they had and see which ones are the right ones by hand. I wouldn't do it if i was the professor.

It gives me hope that they save the answers on the system. Thing is I cant even see my answers I saved at this point.
Old 03-10-2011 at 02:35 PM   #12
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Tribute: you're doing it wrong.

A2L (a haiku)
Avenue to Learn
I hate you more than you know
Upgrade is needed

Last edited by REPLEKIA/. : 03-10-2011 at 02:42 PM.

danallan likes this.
Old 03-10-2011 at 02:43 PM   #13
Mepper

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
Tribute: you're doing it wrong

A2L (a haiku)

Avenue to Learn
I hate you more than you know
Upgrade is needed
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

5-7-5

Alchemist11, terrafirma like this.
Old 03-10-2011 at 02:44 PM   #14
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mepper View Post
Haikus are simple
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

5-7-5
Would be funny, but I've seen it before.
Old 03-10-2011 at 03:40 PM   #15
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

you're in engineering and you can't simply hit "submit"...i think the problem is with you, seeing as all the other mac students can... Avenue> ELM