MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daily game Jul 15 : The Soul Driver Chad Daily Game 0 07-15-2011 04:12 AM
Free breakfast at Subway tomorrow! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 10 05-31-2011 09:15 PM
Campus Texting Bubble Kendoon General Discussion 12 11-22-2010 12:09 AM
does the subway across the street accept meal cards? Sintos General Discussion 2 02-01-2010 10:15 PM
cellphones and texting VoyozooT General Discussion 21 08-28-2009 03:53 PM

TTC subway driver texting on job video prompts investigation

Old 04-23-2012 at 05:34 PM   #1
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

TTC subway driver texting on job video prompts investigation
A video shows a TTC worker using his cellphone in one hand while operating the subway with the other

The Toronto Transit Commission is investigating after a video surfaced Friday of a subway driver using a cellphone while operating the vehicle.

The video, posted to YouTube by evanderm, shows an operator holding the phone with the left hand while operating the train with the right.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...152137553.html
----------------------

What do you think guys ? Personally I think that drivers in general shouldn't be texting/talking while driving, and just focussing on the road ahead.

Note: I don't think that's politics, but I didn't know where else to post it.
Old 04-23-2012 at 05:39 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I suppose its a bit concerning, but hes only controlling the speed, right? Its not like hes steering..

He's got nothing on this guy:

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 04-23-2012 at 05:49 PM   #3
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I suppose its a bit concerning, but hes only controlling the speed, right? Its not like hes steering..
I was thinking about that too... I am not sure if the same rules apply to controlling the speed as to steering..if they are the same and he gets away with it, then he/others might think its okay to text/talk while driving and other ttc drivers might do it too.
That's just my opinion.
Old 04-23-2012 at 05:51 PM   #4
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
He's got nothing on this guy:
LOL this guy wins !
Old 04-23-2012 at 06:03 PM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
I was thinking about that too... I am not sure if the same rules apply to controlling the speed as to steering..if they are the same and he gets away with it, then he/others might think its okay to text/talk while driving and other ttc drivers might do it too.
That's just my opinion.
Then again, that via rail thing was due to speed...
Old 04-23-2012 at 09:19 PM   #6
TheLegacy

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
The driver of a subway train is not simply controlling speed. He's also checking for track work, changes in signals and ensuring that the platform and station area is safe before the train enters the station, all while relaying information to TTC's control center to ensure that a train collision does not occur. His job requires just as much, if not more situational awareness than a bus driver. Being on the phone detracts from this severely, as has been shown by the 2008 train collision in Los Angeles, where a driver, simply "controlling a train's speed" as you say, was texting, and his negligence resulted in the death of 25 people, and injuries of over 100 more. Sorry for the rant, but I have extended family who work for the TTC, and they make it a point to leave their cell phone in their car before starting their shift. Guys like this not only endanger the ridership, but also give all TTC staff a source of unneeded stress.

Medicine I
Biology III (BSc. 2011)

xo.monica says thanks to TheLegacy for this post.

jim1, xo.monica like this.
Old 04-23-2012 at 09:53 PM   #7
escape

Liked: 38 Times

This happens ALL the time with hsr bus drivers.
texting, talking on phone... you name it especially around summer time.
Old 04-23-2012 at 10:32 PM   #8
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

A subway driver does do a lot more then control speed. its like driving on a long empty highway. despite how tempting it is, it is still illegal to text in case something jumps in the path or some other unexpected things happen

the TTC firing these drivers was good. rehiring them shows they aren't too serious about what they are doing, so it will likely continue

Last edited by Snowman : 04-24-2012 at 12:19 AM.

jim1 likes this.
Old 04-24-2012 at 01:19 AM   #9
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

I think this is worse....

Don't Text and Fly: Pilot Nearly Crashes Plane While Checking Text Messages
Old 04-24-2012 at 03:27 PM   #10
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Fire View Post
Now that's a case where texting/talking should be prohibited ! I think it already is.