MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Glass Half Empty: A Conference on Freshwater Depletion Crisis Lois MacInsiders Announcements 3 03-12-2010 10:02 PM
flags at half-mast fawkes. General Discussion 6 10-23-2009 06:40 PM
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince lorend General Discussion 36 11-22-2008 04:19 PM

Two half courses with the same professor or no?

Old 07-01-2009 at 01:40 PM   #1
hyvaa

Liked: 14 Times

Two half courses with the same professor or no?
Hello,
I have a question regarding the title. I am working on the mock timetable and found some issues. I have both MATH 1A03 and 1AA3 and decided to choose Professor Lozinski's class because of the time slot. It worked for 1A03 but it doesnt seem to work for 1AA3 because the tutorial is during my required course time, which I can't move. Would it be better to have the same professor for both courses or does it not matter? Also, would it matter if I go to a different tutorial session?

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2009 at 03:17 PM   #2
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

hey for math, I think it does not matter which tutorial you go to... also which prof you have does not matter, as long as they aren't a bad one
Old 07-01-2009 at 03:18 PM   #3
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliver View Post
Hello,
I have a question regarding the title. I am working on the mock timetable and found some issues. I have both MATH 1A03 and 1AA3 and decided to choose Professor Lozinski's class because of the time slot. It worked for 1A03 but it doesnt seem to work for 1AA3 because the tutorial is during my required course time, which I can't move. Would it be better to have the same professor for both courses or does it not matter? Also, would it matter if I go to a different tutorial session?

Thanks!

hey, so having different prof's for each course really doesnt matter...they will go through the same material no matter who you end up having, also if you can you can still go to the other prof's lecture if you have free time to see which prof'd teaching style you prefer (as long as the class is not full and you'd be taking a seat away from someone scheduled in that class )...As for the tutorial session..again it does not matter which tutorial you end up in ittsss alll goood
Old 07-01-2009 at 03:23 PM   #4
hyvaa

i heard there were some attendance marks or something that make you attend a particular tutorial session; is that not true?

Also, is the test/exam the same for all the profs?
Old 07-01-2009 at 03:26 PM   #5
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

For many science courses, the exams are the same for all profs.

Also, for many science courses, there is no such thing as a participation mark for tutorials. Or at least, I have never encountered that in a science course (maybe Bio 1A03/1M03...but it was only a very very small % I think). Participation marks is more of a socsci/humanities thing.

By the way, even though Math 1A03 and 1AA3 are connected in material, they are two SEPARATE courses, each with its own marking scheme. So don't worry about having two different profs between the two because that's not going to affect marking at all.
Old 07-01-2009 at 03:28 PM   #6
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliver View Post
i heard there were some attendance marks or something that make you attend a particular tutorial session; is that not true?

Also, is the test/exam the same for all the profs?

yes tutorials do have attendance that count toward participation grades (some courses have completely optional tutrials), but this only applies to the tutorial you are scheduled to be in, so it doesnt mater which tutorial you are in they will all the TA run (well mostly) and will cover the same material, and going to them is a good idea as they review questions and topics

As for exams and tests, if the course you are in has more than one core (ie. C01, C02...) then yes the exam will cover the same material no matter which proff you have..3 profs teaching one class, say math 1A03 they all 3 of those classes in that term will write the same exam
Old 07-01-2009 at 03:36 PM   #7
hyvaa

so... is there a participation mark for MATH 1A03 and 1AA3? (in tutorial)
Old 07-01-2009 at 03:50 PM   #8
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Reading the course outline from last year, it says that attendance for lectures and tutorials is mandatory but there is no participation mark in the marking scheme. I would say that there's nothing stopping you from skipping tutorials, but some people find it helpful for learning concepts from class.