MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weds 23rd, $8.99, 8 pieces Popeye Chicken PHLN Student Deals & Discounts 4 03-23-2011 02:47 AM
required course already taken robvvrob Academics 3 06-28-2009 10:20 PM
Required GPA For second year FaisalAbid First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-18-2008 04:59 PM

Two pieces of govt photo id required for a job

Old 05-27-2011 at 04:35 PM   #1
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Two pieces of govt photo id required for a job
I applied to a job and apparently they can't go further with me unless I have two pieces of government photo ID.

I have a Driver's License.
I have an expired Passport (expired in January... is there like a 6 month rule?)
I have a red and white healthcard. It's still valid. I never got the new one in the mail. >_>

What else can I do? Ugh...
I have till wednesday, basically.

And if it matters, I have no birth certificate.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 05-27-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-27-2011 at 04:39 PM   #2
sf

Liked: 36 Times

I would call them and see if they will accept your expired passport. Since it has only been expired for a short time I can't see it being a problem, but then again some workplaces can be pretty picky. If not, maybe see if they will allow the combination of your health card and your student card?
Old 05-27-2011 at 04:43 PM   #3
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Sorry, I meant the thread title to be more specific... I forgot a word.

They want two pieces of government PHOTO ID. >___________>

Old 05-27-2011 at 04:59 PM   #4
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Sorry, I meant the thread title to be more specific... I forgot a word.

They want two pieces of government PHOTO ID. >___________>
Id bring them a drivers license, expired passport and birth certificate ... I mean if someone were to have legitimate documents that are hard to obtain ie. license and birth certificate - Im pretty sure the fact ur passport is expired wont matter. Plus I know when I renewed my passport last year there IS a 6 month grace period after it expires but I dont know if you can actually travel with an expired passport (it wouldnt make sense to me to allow people to do that, and Id think foreign customs offices would raise an eyebrow)
Old 05-27-2011 at 05:11 PM   #5
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Your passport (even though its expired) combined with your SIN and Driver's license should be sufficient for them. They just need to verify that you're legally entitled to work in Canada and the passport (even though its expired) does that. You can tell them that the government will still accept an expired passport as ID if it expired within the last year:
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/support/faq.asp...eng&id= 04431

As a precaution, you should note that privacy laws exist to ensure the employer doesn't record your health card number / passport number. These laws exist because many employers have used their access to passports / health cards to abuse and intimidate employees. In other words, if they want a photocopy of your passport or health card, you may want to reconsider if its worth applying for the job.

The Ontario government, for example, states:
"Only persons who provide provincially-funded health care services may require you to produce your health card, for example, the staff at a doctor’s office, hospital, walk-in-clinic, or medical laboratory."
"While only a person who provides a provincially-funded health care service to you can require you to produce your health card, a person who does not provide a provincially-funded health care service may accept a health card that you voluntarily produce for identification purposes. (In doing so, however, the person must not collect, record, copy or otherwise use the health number appearing on the health card."
From: http://www.mgs.gov.on.ca/en/infoacce...101456.html#17

L'Étoile, lawleypop, sinthusized all say thanks to dsahota for this post.

L'Étoile, RyanC like this.
Old 05-27-2011 at 05:15 PM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

She doesn't have a birth certificate...
And if you want the photo health card, you have to go into one of the offices to get it, it doesn't just come in the mail. I'd recommend NOT getting it though, since the old one never expires, and the new one you have to pay every time you renew it I think.
Bring everything you have. How did you get a passport without a birth certificate? Whatever you used to get your passport should be good enough for the job.
Old 05-27-2011 at 05:23 PM   #7
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsahota View Post
Your passport (even though its expired) combined with your SIN and Driver's license should be sufficient for them. They just need to verify that you're legally entitled to work in Canada and the passport (even though its expired) does that. You can tell them that the government will still accept an expired passport as ID if it expired within the last year:
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/support/faq.asp...eng&id= 04431

As a precaution, you should note that privacy laws exist to ensure the employer doesn't record your health card number / passport number. These laws exist because many employers have used their access to passports / health cards to abuse and intimidate employees. In other words, if they want a photocopy of your passport or health card, you may want to reconsider if its worth applying for the job.

The Ontario government, for example, states:
"Only persons who provide provincially-funded health care services may require you to produce your health card, for example, the staff at a doctor’s office, hospital, walk-in-clinic, or medical laboratory."
"While only a person who provides a provincially-funded health care service to you can require you to produce your health card, a person who does not provide a provincially-funded health care service may accept a health card that you voluntarily produce for identification purposes. (In doing so, however, the person must not collect, record, copy or otherwise use the health number appearing on the health card."
From: http://www.mgs.gov.on.ca/en/infoacce...101456.html#17
"
  • the passport is submitted with the application form. Photocopies will not be accepted; and
  • the name indicated on the passport is the same as the one on the application form."
oh god >_>

Old 05-27-2011 at 05:26 PM   #8
dsahota

Quote:
"
  • the passport is submitted with the application form. Photocopies will not be accepted; and
  • the name indicated on the passport is the same as the one on the application form."
oh god >_>
Its OK if you have to submit a physical copy as long as you stand there as they look at it and hand it back to you. At no time should the passport ever leave your direct vision. If they physically take your passport, they can get a new passport issued with a different photo attached with almost no questions asked by the government :|.
Old 05-27-2011 at 05:29 PM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
"
oh god >_>
Sometimes you can get people to vouch that you are who you say you are, and can bypass some documents. An employer only really needs to know if you can be bonded, and are legally entitled to work in Canada. Whats da job?
Old 05-27-2011 at 05:40 PM   #10
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Sometimes you can get people to vouch that you are who you say you are, and can bypass some documents. An employer only really needs to know if you can be bonded, and are legally entitled to work in Canada. Whats da job?
Internal student position at the company my mom works for (Pitney Bowes). Just like data entry. Full time.

Old 05-27-2011 at 05:48 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Internal student position at the company my mom works for (Pitney Bowes). Just like data entry. Full time.
Damn, thats sweet. So you're saying SIN + previous version of health card + expired passport + driver's license + student card + fact your mom works at the company, isn't enough?

The best thing you could do is look into fast-tracking a new health card and passport if you can and get some kind of verification of your bondability and maybe credit history? Its really wonky that they would ignore a mountain of verifiable ID. The only thing that I could think of, is that they're protecting against people who use stolen ID... but still..
Old 05-27-2011 at 05:50 PM   #12
dsahota

Quote:
Have they actually directly told you your ID isn't sufficient? If not, I'd just call up their HR and explain the situation. Your combination of ID and the fact your mom already works there should be more than sufficient for them ...
Old 05-27-2011 at 06:13 PM   #13
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

SIN card is best probably
Old 05-27-2011 at 06:31 PM   #14
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
SIN card is best probably
PHOTO id

12goddamncharacters

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

lawleypop likes this.
Old 05-27-2011 at 06:35 PM   #15
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsahota View Post
Have they actually directly told you your ID isn't sufficient? If not, I'd just call up their HR and explain the situation. Your combination of ID and the fact your mom already works there should be more than sufficient for them ...
I agree with dsahota.