MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I take Geog 1HB3, Geog 1 HA3, or Health Age 1BB3 gabbynelly First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 24 07-30-2012 09:32 PM
MBA and undergrad frost First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 22 05-20-2012 10:36 PM
Becoming a TA (as an undergrad) pk00 General Discussion 3 05-17-2009 01:05 AM

Undergrad Geog TAs

Old 08-07-2012 at 06:22 PM   #1
olive2

Liked: 29 Times

Undergrad Geog TAs
So i have been patiently checking the geography website just about everyday for the TA applications to open up. I decided to call today and see if they could give me a date when they would be releasing the applications online, and the lady on the phone said they've already been done and TAs are picked. I don't really understand how this is possible since I have been checking the page so frequently. Is anyone else an undergrad ta (for geog 1hb3 or 1ha3) for this fall? If so when did they open and close the applications?

I am so frustrated! also apparently the person who organizes the hiring is on vacation for a week....
Old 08-07-2012 at 07:39 PM   #2
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

I'm assuming all of the positions have been filled by grad students

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 08-07-2012 at 07:58 PM   #3
olive2

Assuming wrong. Geog 1hb3 and 1ha3 are ALWAYS filled by upper year undergrads.
Old 08-07-2012 at 08:02 PM   #4
doppelganger

Liked: 65 Times

Hmm, maybe they posted the positions on OscarPlus?
Old 08-07-2012 at 08:12 PM   #5
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times

did you specifically ask about fall TA positions? or could the lady have thought you were talking about summer TA positions... ive been checking on the website and ive been on oscarplus and havent seen anything either, so if she was talking about fall TA positions being filled then im confused too aha
Old 08-07-2012 at 08:12 PM   #6
ShadowPlay
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 30 Times

The applications for undergrad TA positions within SGES typically come out much closer to the start of term. Generally as close as one or two weeks before classes begin.
Old 08-07-2012 at 08:18 PM   #7
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
Hmm, maybe they posted the positions on OscarPlus?
Nope, not there.
Old 08-07-2012 at 08:19 PM   #8
olive2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirsten..! View Post
did you specifically ask about fall TA positions? or could the lady have thought you were talking about summer TA positions... ive been checking on the website and ive been on oscarplus and havent seen anything either, so if she was talking about fall TA positions being filled then im confused too aha
YES. thats the thing! i asked about UNDEGRAD FALL TAs. she said they'd been filled july 13th. she was not that pleasant on the phone.
Old 08-07-2012 at 08:27 PM   #9
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive2 View Post
YES. thats the thing! i asked about UNDEGRAD FALL TAs. she said they'd been filled july 13th. she was not that pleasant on the phone.
whaaaa when did they tell anyone about this ! maybe they asked past TAs if they wanted to do it again and filled the positions that way.... or maybe that lady was dumb hahahah. ill prob still keep checking till school starts and see what happenssss
Old 08-07-2012 at 08:31 PM   #10
olive2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirsten..! View Post
whaaaa when did they tell anyone about this ! maybe they asked past TAs if they wanted to do it again and filled the positions that way.... or maybe that lady was dumb hahahah. ill prob still keep checking till school starts and see what happenssss

I called today at about 1pm. She was all "well actually there were a ton of applications so student must have seen it!!!!". Maybe you should try calling and see if you can get a different answer. i thiiiiink i spoke to "Donna". at any rate the extension is x24535. Let me know what you find out if you do call.
Old 08-07-2012 at 08:58 PM   #11
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

I received an email back in March about Engineering I TA's. Nothing on the web just an email link, maybe that is what happened.
Old 08-07-2012 at 09:14 PM   #12
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

The application form is still up there, I found it in about two minutes.
The posting isn't listed though because (as the person told you when you called) the deadline passed.
Old 08-07-2012 at 09:35 PM   #13
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessMo View Post
The applications for undergrad TA positions within SGES typically come out much closer to the start of term. Generally as close as one or two weeks before classes begin.
As of last year, they have their hiring done before August hits. Applications and hiring would be finished, as of now.

Edit: That being said, start checking in Oct-Nov for Term 2 positions. However, most spots will likely be filled by TA's from Term 1, or TA's with past experience.

Old 08-08-2012 at 04:09 PM   #14
prabeast

Liked: 2 Times

Not sure if this is still an issue?

But if it is, due date for 1HA3, 1HB3, 2GI3, and 1G03 is August 24th.

Go to: www. science.mcmaster.ca/geo/jobs.html, and go under Undergraduate Teaching Asisstants.

I'd love to have less competition, but figure I should be nice instead haha and share this knowledge.

I have no idea where these rumours of deadlines passing has started from! The June deadline was for second term Summer courses, I think they had an intro geography course then.

Hope I helped!

apples12 likes this.
Old 08-08-2012 at 04:14 PM   #15
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabeast View Post
Not sure if this is still an issue?

But if it is, due date for 1HA3, 1HB3, 2GI3, and 1G03 is August 24th.

Go to: www. science.mcmaster.ca/geo/jobs.html, and go under Undergraduate Teaching Asisstants.

I'd love to have less competition, but figure I should be nice instead haha and share this knowledge.

I have no idea where these rumours of deadlines passing has started from! The June deadline was for second term Summer courses, I think they had an intro geography course then.

Hope I helped!
That is so nice of you to post this! I hope you get the job.

prabeast says thanks to apples12 for this post.