Becoming a TA (as an undergrad) pk00 General Discussion 3 05-17-2009 01:05 AM

Undergrad options for med school

Old 08-02-2011 at 10:55 PM   #16
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by IqzFendi View Post
I'd actually really like to know this too. I'm thinking of taking the Molecular Bio and Genetics Specialization, but is physio better? Or is there no difference? (I think both degrees do cover med school pre-reqs, or at least, m. bio & genetics does!)
MBG and Physio are very different in the material you learn. Either one has enough electives to cover all the prerequisites necessary for medical schools.
Old 08-02-2011 at 11:00 PM   #17
StevenLiang

Liked: 2 Times

The only other courses from kin available to non-kin kids, other than anatomy, are nutrition related (correct me if i'm wrong, kin kids), and a neuro control for movement (or smthin like that). Those are lvl 3 and lvl 4 courses as well.

@xlovemacx: no.
Old 08-02-2011 at 11:07 PM   #18
KRan

Liked: 10 Times

There are a bunch of Kin courses that are open to non-Kin students, but they're not the ones that I feel would be most helpful for med school (other than Anatomy of course).

If you're in the Physiology specialization of Bio you can take 2nd year Exercise Physiology (how your body adapts to exercise).

Otherwise, the choices are Athletic Coaching, Sport Psychology, Nutrition, Sport and Social Development and Body, Mind and Spirit. I might be missing a couple, but they're more the social science-y aspects of Kin.

(Edit: See jhan523's post below for the full list!)

It's definitely possible to cover the med school pre-reqs in Kin without having to take summer school. You get 16 electives over 4 years, 2 of which go to math/stats courses. With 14 choices, you can easily take 2 Bio, 2 Chem, 2 Physics, 2 Orgo (+ English, Biochem, etc.).

Last edited by KRan : 08-02-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-02-2011 at 11:11 PM   #19
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLiang View Post
The only other courses from kin available to non-kin kids, other than anatomy, are nutrition related (correct me if i'm wrong, kin kids), and a neuro control for movement (or smthin like that). Those are lvl 3 and lvl 4 courses as well.

@xlovemacx: no.
Kin 1Y03 and 1YY3 (Anat & Physio)
Kin 2C03 and 2CC3 (Neuromuscular, cardiorespiratory and metabolic exercise physio) if you are in Bio w/ Physio Specialization
Kin 3A03 (History of exercise and sports medicine)
Kin 3DD3 (Foundations of outdoor experiential education)
Kin 3E03 (Neural Control of Human Movement) if you are in PNB
Kin 3G03 (Outdoor Education) if you get permission from the instructor
Kin 3JJ3 (History of Modern Dance)
Kin 3M03 (Foundations of Athletic Coaching)
Kin 3P03 (Sport and Social Development)
Kin 3S03 (Somatics and Holistic Health)
Kin 3SS3 (Body, Mind, Spirit)
Kin 3T03 (Dance Performance)
Kin 3V03 (Sport Psychology)
Kin 4C03 (Integrative Physio of Human Performance) if you are in Bio w/ Physio Spec.
Kin 4CC3 (Neuromuscular Exercise Physio) if you are in Bio w/ Physio Spec.
Kin 4P03 (The Brain and Human Movement ) if you are in Psych or Life Science
Kin 4T04 (Gender, Sport and Leisure)

Those are all the courses you can take without being in Kin.

RachDin says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-03-2011 at 12:26 AM   #20
RachDin

Liked: 0 Times

So are those two first year courses in kin (anatomy and physiology) the ones that were previously mentioned that would be difficult to balance doing life sci?

I've also heard body, mind, and spirit was super easy too?

On a more random note, is there a bioethics course or sometime similar available to take? Any reviews?
Old 08-03-2011 at 12:37 AM   #21
IqzFendi

Liked: 41 Times

Yeah, i love Genetics, since the first time I did back in grade 10! haha.

Well I'm minoring in Psychology so all my 2nd and 3rd year electives are psych as well as one 1st year one. I'm also doing HTH AGE 1BB3 in Term 2 and I did the first part last term. And once SCIENCE course, i can't really tell you specifics 'cause I transferred from York so most of my electives are from there!

Btw, have you applied to life sci in Mac as well? I only applied to Health at first but even life at Mac is awesome and someone told me to apply to life just in case, I didn't get into Health but I did get into life so I'm glad i listened to them! Even a life sci degree from Mac is great for med school! But if you get into health, no question about which one you should go for!
Old 08-03-2011 at 12:38 AM   #22
IqzFendi

Liked: 41 Times

Oh and thanks about the quote, I love it! hehe
Old 08-03-2011 at 01:07 AM   #23
xFLY

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlovemacx View Post
Just a quick question around this same topic

It seems a lot of people who plan to go to med school go between kin, health sci or life sci. Im gonna do med rad sci... for anyone to answer, was that a bad decision for a posible future in med school??
Since MedRadSci is very specialized and limits you to only 2 electives in 1st year, it's not the most ideal program to lead you to Med School. However it is entirely possible by taking the required courses for Med School in Summer School etc..There have been MedRadSci students who went onto Med School.

A program like Life Sci & Health Sci give you the option of taking those required courses very easily and thus would be an easier pathway.

xlovemacx says thanks to xFLY for this post.

TheMist likes this.
Old 08-03-2011 at 01:08 AM   #24
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachDin View Post
So are those two first year courses in kin (anatomy and physiology) the ones that were previously mentioned that would be difficult to balance doing life sci?

On a more random note, is there a bioethics course or sometime similar available to take? Any reviews?
Yep, that would be Kin 1Y03/1A03 and 1YY3/1AA3. I took the first course while I was in Life Sci I, and it was my favourite course. It's definitely no walk in the park, but it's doable with the other Life Sci required courses. It wasn't too bad of a workload as long as you stay on top of it and study every week for the weekly quiz. That made my life much easier when exams rolled around.
Old 08-03-2011 at 02:53 AM   #25
stja1

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Yep, that would be Kin 1Y03/1A03 and 1YY3/1AA3. I took the first course while I was in Life Sci I, and it was my favourite course. It's definitely no walk in the park, but it's doable with the other Life Sci required courses. It wasn't too bad of a workload as long as you stay on top of it and study every week for the weekly quiz. That made my life much easier when exams rolled around.
Just out of curiosity did you take exercise science in high school? Is the material similar?
Old 08-03-2011 at 04:06 AM   #26
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stja1 View Post
Just out of curiosity did you take exercise science in high school? Is the material similar?
Nope, I didn't take Exercise Science. However, from what I know exercise science focused on the musculoskeletal system. However, the 2 Kin courses are much more broad than that, it covers the nervous system (CNS, PNS), Musculoskeletal, Circulatory, Respiratory, Renal, etc.

You don't need exercise science at all, or even to get a decent grade. I highly recommend it!

stja1 says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 08-03-2011 at 06:43 AM   #27
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJk View Post
@RachDin
if you do go into life sci with kins as your elective
it might be a lot harder 'cause you'll be having all these labs from bio, chem, and kin
which, if im correct, is every other week?
this was the advice given to me from several Mac graduates

of course, if the courses really do appeal to you
then i guess it wont seem that stressful?
There have been tons of threads about this. Kin 1Y03/1YY3 are great electives for first year life sci. The kin labs are super easy, and they're like 50% tutorial. It's no trouble at all having those three labs, although you'll have kind of a long week if you have all three on the same week.
One semester I had four labs out of my five courses (bio, chem, kin, physics) and it wasn't a problem at all.
Old 08-03-2011 at 08:26 AM   #28
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:

Philosophy 2D03 is health care ethics, Philosophy 1D03 is philosophy and the sciences. If you take both of those you can take Philos 3C03 (Advanced Bioethics) and Philos 3D03 (Philosophy of science).

RachDin says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-03-2011 at 09:00 AM   #29
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:

I took HTH SCI 3L03 (bioethics) last semester and I loved the course. It's open to non-health scis. The prof (Dr. Lisa Schwartz) is great and engaging.
Old 08-03-2011 at 09:27 AM   #30
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemaking View Post
I took HTH SCI 3L03 (bioethics) last semester and I loved the course. It's open to non-health scis. The prof (Dr. Lisa Schwartz) is great and engaging.
Hey there,

There aren't any reviews on this course on MacInsiders.

If you have the time, do you mind giving us a short break-down of the course? Projects/tests/exams/quizzes? Was there a lot of work? Was it a lot of memorizing or more focused on application and reasoning? Thanks!