Becoming a TA (as an undergrad) pk00 General Discussion 3 05-17-2009 01:05 AM

Undergrad options for med school

Old 08-03-2011 at 09:39 AM   #31
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Hey there,

There aren't any reviews on this course on MacInsiders.

If you have the time, do you mind giving us a short break-down of the course? Projects/tests/exams/quizzes? Was there a lot of work? Was it a lot of memorizing or more focused on application and reasoning? Thanks!
Sure, no problem.

This course was very easy in terms of workload. No tests/exams, just papers and a group presentation. Mark breakdown is as follows:

1000 word paper (20%) - given the choice between 2 topics
10 min group presentation + powerpoint (35%) - free choice of topics and you can choose your own groups
2500 word paper (35%) - free choice of topics but it can't be the same one as your group presentation
tutorial participation/attendance (10%)

There are weekly readings from the textbook (I'm selling the textbook for $35 if anyone's interested ) and we discuss the readings during tutorial, which is discussion-based. Lectures are also pretty discussion based, Dr. Schwartz posts up powerpoints but we never end up finishing them.

I found the course material really interesting (euthanasia/physician assisted suicide, abortion, genetic screening, ethics, patient confidentiality, informed consent etc) and a nice break from other courses because of the lack of tests/exams, meaning you were free to just participate in discussions during class rather than trying to scribble down notes. I highly recommend this course to anyone going into med because it'll help you think about ethical issues from different stakeholders' points of views which would be useful during interviews.
Old 08-03-2011 at 10:20 AM   #32
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

It sounds fun, in fact I'm inclined to drop one of my courses to take it, I just hope that the marking is fair. No tests/exams are always fun but always risky IMO, because if you get a TA who marks really hard or something 90% of your mark is at risk from just a couple papers/presentations >_>

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemaking View Post
Sure, no problem.

This course was very easy in terms of workload. No tests/exams, just papers and a group presentation. Mark breakdown is as follows:

1000 word paper (20%) - given the choice between 2 topics
10 min group presentation + powerpoint (35%) - free choice of topics and you can choose your own groups
2500 word paper (35%) - free choice of topics but it can't be the same one as your group presentation
tutorial participation/attendance (10%)

There are weekly readings from the textbook (I'm selling the textbook for $35 if anyone's interested ) and we discuss the readings during tutorial, which is discussion-based. Lectures are also pretty discussion based, Dr. Schwartz posts up powerpoints but we never end up finishing them.

I found the course material really interesting (euthanasia/physician assisted suicide, abortion, genetic screening, ethics, patient confidentiality, informed consent etc) and a nice break from other courses because of the lack of tests/exams, meaning you were free to just participate in discussions during class rather than trying to scribble down notes. I highly recommend this course to anyone going into med because it'll help you think about ethical issues from different stakeholders' points of views which would be useful during interviews.
Old 08-03-2011 at 10:24 AM   #33
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
It sounds fun, in fact I'm inclined to drop one of my courses to take it, I just hope that the marking is fair. No tests/exams are always fun but always risky IMO, because if you get a TA who marks really hard or something 90% of your mark is at risk from just a couple papers/presentations >_>
Yeah I was a bit apprehensive about that too. I ended up with a 12 in the course and I wouldn't say it's a bird course but it's not impossible/overly difficult to get a 12 either. I felt like I got what I put in. Virtually everyone gets 12 on the group presentation and perfect marks for tutorial (so long as you attend all of them and participate in discussion), so that's already 45% right there.
Old 08-03-2011 at 02:24 PM   #34
RachDin

Liked: 0 Times

First of all I'd like to say thank you to everyone for giving me some great advice! I really appreciate it! That being said I have a few more questions (sorry!)

@IQ2Fendi and @jhan523 , if I were considering OT as a back up for med school, would a spec in Bio + Physio or MBG be better suited? I'm assuming I should then take those Kin 1Y03 AND 1YY3?

I can't remember who it was who asked but in response I will be applying to all four of these programs.

@Sara , to take Philo 3CO3 would I have to take Philosophy 2DO3 and CDO3 or just one? or should I just take that Health Sci bioethics which seems really interesting?
Old 08-03-2011 at 04:04 PM   #35
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachDin View Post
First of all I'd like to say thank you to everyone for giving me some great advice! I really appreciate it! That being said I have a few more questions (sorry!)

@IQ2Fendi and @jhan523 , if I were considering OT as a back up for med school, would a spec in Bio + Physio or MBG be better suited? I'm assuming I should then take those Kin 1Y03 AND 1YY3?

I can't remember who it was who asked but in response I will be applying to all four of these programs.

@Sara , to take Philo 3CO3 would I have to take Philosophy 2DO3 and CDO3 or just one? or should I just take that Health Sci bioethics which seems really interesting?
What's OT?

Take the health science course if you don't want to take 3 philosophy courses. You need to take 2D03 and get at least a B/8 as well as taking any other philosophy course.
Old 08-03-2011 at 04:10 PM   #36
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
What's OT?

Take the health science course if you don't want to take 3 philosophy courses. You need to take 2D03 and get at least a B/8 as well as taking any other philosophy course.
Occupational Therapy

As for which to take, check out Jhan's post

Last edited by ~*Sara*~ : 08-03-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-03-2011 at 04:28 PM   #37
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Occupational Therapy

As for which to take, check out Jhan's post
I would say Physio then, but hopefully someone in Physio will let you know if that's a good path to take (but you should talk to an advisor as well, perhaps there are other programs better geared towards that career).

As for MBG, it's geared towards research. From what I read on wiki, it wouldn't be a good path for OT at all. I don't think there are any relations between OT and the MBG program.
Old 08-03-2011 at 05:12 PM   #38
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I would say Physio then, but hopefully someone in Physio will let you know if that's a good path to take (but you should talk to an advisor as well, perhaps there are other programs better geared towards that career).

As for MBG, it's geared towards research. From what I read on wiki, it wouldn't be a good path for OT at all. I don't think there are any relations between OT and the MBG program.
^Agreed. Bio (Physio spec.) would be a good pathway if you're interested in OT/PT. It covers all the physiology and Bio courses as a background to OT. However, from what I know about U of T, there are no specific requisite courses, just recommended ones. So essentially, you could get in with just a general Life Sci degree or any degree really.

From the U of T website:
Recommended Background Knowledge (NOT REQUIRED)

While having completed these courses is NOT required, to enhance the learning experience, applicants are encouraged to bring to the program basic background knowledge (i.e., core concepts) in the following subject areas:

human growth and development
introductory physiology or introductory human biology
psychology
sociology OR anthropology
statistics and research design

With Physio, you'd be able to cover the Physio/Human Bio recommended courses as well as Psych and even Stats. Socio/Antho and HGD you can include as electives, if you choose to take all recommended courses. But anyway, look into the OT schools you're interested in and see what their requirements are.

RachDin says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 08-03-2011 at 06:30 PM   #39
RachDin

sweet, thanks! Though this is a while off, should I apply to grad schools at the same time as med schools? How long would grad school for OT take? I'm assuming a couple of years but I could be wrong. It's definitely something for me to research.

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2011 at 06:34 PM   #40
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
sweet, thanks! Though this is a while off, should I apply to grad schools at the same time as med schools? How long would grad school for OT take? I'm assuming a couple of years but I could be wrong. It's definitely something for me to research.

Thanks!
You apply for grad schools in your 4th year I believe, as for med schools it depends on the school, you can apply in 3rd or in 4th year. For U of T's OT program, it takes 24 months, but again that could vary by school. It's a Master's program, and from what I've seen, most Master's programs are 2 years with a few months more or less depending on the program.
Old 08-03-2011 at 06:35 PM   #41
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:

Thanks!
I'm not sure when grad applications are, but it's definitively after med applications. You can apply to med schools before/at the start of 3rd year.

As for 4th year, if you have to do it, you should apply to both. Applying to just one and finding out you didn't make the cut would be terrible.
Old 08-03-2011 at 06:54 PM   #42
RachDin

If/when I would apply for a masters in that, I would definitely do so at multiple schools. Do any of you know if getting a master's would also improve your chances for med school the next time around?
Old 08-03-2011 at 07:00 PM   #43
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

a completed masters gives you a bonus when applying to most med schools as far as i know (double check with the schools). a phd gives you an even bigger bonus. the catch here is that the bonus is only in your final year of the masters (i.e. will have completed it by the time you start meds).
Old 08-03-2011 at 08:08 PM   #44
RachDin

I notice that with your program it says Biology (Physio). Does that mean that when you specialize you are no longer considered life sci? I know you get a science degree but would your program change then?
Old 08-03-2011 at 08:14 PM   #45
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I notice that with your program it says Biology (Physio). Does that mean that when you specialize you are no longer considered life sci? I know you get a science degree but would your program change then?
It doesn't matter if you specialize or not, if you enter a different program in second year (or switch later in upper years) you aren't in Life Sciences anymore.

I believe the degree you get is B. Sc. in ____________. So if you are in Life Sciences it's in Life Sciences, if you are in Biology then it's Biology, if you are in Chemical Biology then it's Chemical Biology.

RachDin says thanks to jhan523 for this post.