MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Happy New Years Chad MacInsiders Announcements 13 01-01-2011 08:15 PM
New Years resolutions? Rakim General Discussion 41 12-30-2010 10:15 PM
Incoming first years! zeChinaman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 09-01-2010 10:06 AM
4th years lorend Academics 0 11-10-2007 09:58 AM
First Years... get ready! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-03-2007 07:49 AM

Uni over the years.

Old 04-14-2012 at 04:02 PM   #16
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Can one expect to sleep for at least 5 hours a night on average or even less than that? o_O
I know someone who got no more than 4hrs/night (sometimes less) for about a year and a half.

Edit: Sara, you have weeks of nothing?! super jealous

Last edited by nerual : 04-14-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-14-2012 at 04:08 PM   #17
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
It depends on the program of course, but the problem is lack of consistency. So you can find yourself sleeping for 4 hrs a day one week, and then a whole week with all-nighters, and even some weeks where you have "nothing" and you can get 8 hours of sleep. So my problem (besides procrastination of course), was getting used to the variability.
Note to self... avoid specialized programs.
Old 04-14-2012 at 04:30 PM   #18
gregster

Liked: 0 Times

Personally for me first year, first term hit me hard due to the adjustment to university. Second year was overall rough due to the change from general engineering to a specific stream. It got better after that, and ironically my final year was easily my best academically, even though I felt I put less effort into my work that year than any other years.
Old 04-14-2012 at 06:43 PM   #19
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
I know someone who got no more than 4hrs/night (sometimes less) for about a year and a half.

Didn't that impact on that person's overall health over that time period? :o
Old 04-14-2012 at 06:44 PM   #20
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Didn't that impact on that person's overall health over that time period? :o
Yes, severely. It was horrible, actually.

anonanon987 says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 04-14-2012 at 06:51 PM   #21
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Yes, severely. It was horrible, actually.
That sucks for them. I'm pretty sure I won't be going through anything like that. I never pulled an "all nighter" in first year nor have I received less than 5 hours of sleep a night. I usually do my homework the day it's assigned.
Old 04-14-2012 at 07:18 PM   #22
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
That sucks for them. I'm pretty sure I won't be going through anything like that. I never pulled an "all nighter" in first year nor have I received less than 5 hours of sleep a night. I usually do my homework the day it's assigned.
You never know--it's not something that this person planned to do. Life just kind of sucks sometimes.
And I'm glad your program works in a way that allows you to do that
I could never write a 31-page thesis or 20-page lab report the day it was assigned.
Old 04-14-2012 at 07:36 PM   #23
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
You never know--it's not something that this person planned to do. Life just kind of sucks sometimes.
And I'm glad your program works in a way that allows you to do that
I could never write a 31-page thesis or 20-page lab report the day it was assigned.
Thanks nueral. I hope the rest of my years are the same. (in terms of sleeping cycle)
Old 04-14-2012 at 07:40 PM   #24
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Thanks nueral. I hope the rest of my years are the same. (in terms of sleeping cycle)
Yeah, I hope so too...sleep is probably one of the most important aspects of staying healthy and doing well in school, but it's often shafted.
Old 04-15-2012 at 12:13 AM   #25
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
I do too, but ive seen the thing with:

social life, sleep, homework, and university students get to pick 2.

ive found that has held fairly true, i had lot of sleep and had decent grades since i had minimal social life but there definitely is a trade off. not saying there wont be times where you only have time to do homework and both sleep and social life suffers, but if you do work early on in the year (im like the only one in the library in january) then there is a tradeoff

anonanon987, Swampis like this.
Old 04-15-2012 at 01:00 AM   #26
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I do too, but ive seen the thing with:

social life, sleep, homework, and university students get to pick 2.

ive found that has held fairly true, i had lot of sleep and had decent grades since i had minimal social life but there definitely is a trade off. not saying there wont be times where you only have time to do homework and both sleep and social life suffers, but if you do work early on in the year (im like the only one in the library in january) then there is a tradeoff
For me it's the last 2. You're absolutely right there Stefan I totally agree with you.
Old 04-15-2012 at 01:05 AM   #27
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

first year its easy to balance it all and succeed imo. no matter what youre in.
Old 04-15-2012 at 01:42 AM   #28
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:

Haha, well not exactly, but if it's just readings or catching up and its after 2-3 weeks of constant "hell" weeks, I refuse to do work the week after
Old 04-15-2012 at 06:27 AM   #29
lux

Liked: 318 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkolb31 View Post
Note to self... avoid specialized programs.
Don't be afraid of specializations. I'm always hearing people tell me that they wish they started out in it, because in the upper years it's much harder to get into (You can also drop the spec. at any point). I'm in one and there are definitely some opportunities and advantages to being in a specialized program to consider. My philosophy, go big or go home. I also like a good challenge =p, so i stuck with it, and i'm pretty happy that i made it this far.

Last edited by lux : 04-15-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-15-2012 at 07:41 AM   #30
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

^ They do seem very interesting and there are definitely some cool courses but I dont know if I can live off 5 hours of sleep everyday for 8 months