MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
University Juve General Discussion 36 10-12-2010 07:08 PM
Relationships in a University AdelaisAer Dating & Relationships 155 10-02-2010 11:04 PM
Course at Another University Banshee Academics 1 07-10-2010 12:04 PM

How is University?

Old 03-05-2009 at 08:19 PM   #16
Matt Wright

Liked: 49 Times

In order to stay on top of assignments and midterms, especially in engineering, you need to have a visible layout of things that are coming up. Once you master time management, you can block off time for partying or socializing, but you need to be strict about those blocks. By allocating time for every assignment you never fall behind, and by allocating time for school involvement you never feel disconnected from McMaster.
Old 03-05-2009 at 08:22 PM   #17
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
(Wow I sound like such an optimist... Danielle you must be cringing)
I actually thought you were someone else!!

And you are definately NOT pretty when hungover...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 03-05-2009 at 08:23 PM   #18
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I actually thought you were someone else!!

And you are definately NOT pretty when hungover...
If Jeff wasn't in the picture I'd always be pretty for you.
Old 03-05-2009 at 08:33 PM   #19
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1993 View Post
So...
The people who i hear complain are the ones you don't really study and get too far into the freedoms of university (drinking, parties, drinking, clubbing, drinking, television)
Sadly, I fall into this category. I am trying to balance things out this semester though...
Old 03-05-2009 at 09:45 PM   #20
caroline54

Liked: 10 Times

I find that the material in university isnt too difficult per se, as long as you take the time to understand what's going on...the thing that makes university hard is that everything happens at the same time. You'll have some time off with nothing due, and then all of a sudden in one week you have a million things you have to get done. You have to learn how to manage your time well.
Old 03-05-2009 at 10:03 PM   #21
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline54 View Post
the thing that makes university hard is that everything happens at the same time. You'll have some time off with nothing due, and then all of a sudden in one week you have a million things you have to get done. You have to learn how to manage your time well.
so true! agreed 100%!
Old 03-05-2009 at 10:13 PM   #22
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I think the key is to learn how to study EFFICIENTLY.

This way you can pull off the 4 midterms in a week + labs and still scrape by with a 12.

Last edited by Lij : 03-05-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-05-2009 at 11:38 PM   #23
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
So...
The people who i hear complain are the ones you don't really study and get too far into the freedoms of university (drinking, parties, drinking, clubbing, drinking, television)
I don't know if that's always the case. Sometimes, some classes can be really hard. I'm in Pol Sci and, while I do perfectly fine in my other classes, I have one stats class that's mandatory and it's incredibly difficult.

I think it all depends on your classes, your work ethic and time management. I agree with the poster above me - you will often have nothing dueo for a while, then out of no where, you will have like 4 term papers due within 2 days. You just need to keep ontop of what assignments are coming up.

As for time.. it's hard to say, it definately depends on your program.
I'm in Honours Pol Sci with 5 courses a term, and I would say:

5 term papers, and it takes about 12-15 hours total to write each one
4 minor papers, about 5 hours each
3 or 4 assignments, (which for me) are about 5 hours each
[these things are throughout the entire term, but they hit the hardest in November for term 1 and March for term 2]

Plus weekly readings, tri-weekly quizzes and three-times-weekly homework.
Also, mid terms and finals.

I really don't think your grades in high school say much about how you will do in university. It all depends on the person and their time management skills. Stay ontop of what's coming up.
Old 03-06-2009 at 08:38 AM   #24
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
If Jeff wasn't in the picture I'd always be pretty for you.
Uh huh.

And what would your gf say to that?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 03-06-2009 at 06:44 PM   #25
adam1993

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks so much...
In Life Science how much percent of the class would get A's B's C's D's
Old 03-06-2009 at 07:19 PM   #26
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

You can't divide up the entire class that simply, I'm afraid. There are multiple courses everyone takes each year, as well as electives. Some people have strengths in certain areas over others.

Old 03-06-2009 at 11:32 PM   #27
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Thanks so much...
In Life Science how much percent of the class would get A's B's C's D's

The midterm averages are usually in the 60s. Although statistics are not released, my guess is that at the end of the semester, the bell curve lies centered at 70 percent or so.

Being in life science, it's pretty easy first year. If you found high school easy, then with minimal effort and not even attending lectures, you should be able to get a pretty good GPA, but that won't do you any good if you want to be a top competitor. Ultimately though, if you don't try, you will end up disappointed with the results (good or bad).

On the other hand:
If you attend all lectures, go to tutorials, work and do what a good student does, you will obviously get better grades. Just don't be lazy.

Although some luck is involved in the testing process, the amount of effort you put in essentially determines the type of marks that you get.

If you can find that drive, then you shouldn't concern yourself with how other people are doing.

It's not a bad program, and ultimately, general science helps you decide what you like and do not like before you pick your major.
Old 03-06-2009 at 11:44 PM   #28
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

Depends, I don't think it's much of a "those who did well suck now because they don't study", but a bit of ill-adjusting. I know people who simply go to class and do the bare minimum in Engineering, and they do just fine and maintain 9-10's. If they put in a little bit more work, they'd probably do all the more greater.

Really, you also have to consider the fact that it's inevitable that anyone could drop in terms of grades. I did, but that's because I'm just still not used to getting certain studying concepts down. For example;

First term I tried going to class and learning a lot of the material, but I found that I usually came home and had to learn the stuff outta the book anyways. Topple in 2 hours of commute (back and forth, 2 hour total that is) and it became extremely difficult to keep up with the workload. First term ended off on a bit of a more sour note for one class because of this (as well as my general lack of interest to such a boring course, gotta factor that in too haha). 2nd term, I go less to class and read more of my texts and just do straight work, going to my profs/TAs only after I find problem.

I'll say this though, don't do what I'm doing, because it's extremely difficult and definitely is a bad habit. I find that the transition from HS to Uni is different in that a lot of the work provided was a case of being taught enough to get the concept. At university, there are just some courses where you have to do the work in order to get it, and topple in the fact that most kids haven't learned how to study out of a textbook, and you've got yourself in a tight bind. Trust me, I had troubles (still am), but for myself, I find that things were a lot more clearer when I heard things going through my head then through the mouth of teachers (and a dozen students who have an insatiable habit of talking during class :/)

As well, like it's been said above by Kareko, you also have to consider your social life. Most people can fit a social life in anyways, and as well, you have to consider that on campus, you'll be experiencing a new life as it is. Working with friends, then going out somewhere to eat or hitting the pub at night. That all leads into a social life, while still maintaining your school life.

Anyways, if it's just a question of worrying, don't kill yourself right now. You're still in High school, and it's one thing to talk about workload, but its another to experience it. There's no real way you can prepare for it other than doing what you've been doing up until now in school. Worry about that stuff when you finally sitting down in your first lecture

Last edited by RoyK : 03-06-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-07-2009 at 10:26 AM   #29
adam1993

Thanks so much everybody...especiall y MacSci and RoyK
Old 03-09-2009 at 05:56 PM   #30
adam1993

Oh...
and how often are classes