MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
University Juve General Discussion 36 10-12-2010 07:08 PM
Relationships in a University AdelaisAer Dating & Relationships 155 10-02-2010 11:04 PM
Course at Another University Banshee Academics 1 07-10-2010 12:04 PM

How is University?

Old 03-09-2009 at 05:59 PM   #31
caroline54

Liked: 10 Times

Usually you will have three 50 min classes per week....or two 50 min classes and a 50 min tutorial ... or a three hour night class once a week.
If you are going into science you will also have a 3 hour lab once a week or every other week.
Old 03-09-2009 at 06:09 PM   #32
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

They may range depending on how you set up your timetable and what classes you take. I attached my timetable so you can look at it. Others may have different start and end times or breaks. I dropped Chemistry 1AA3 to take it in the summer but a typical second semester Life Science student would have a chemistry lecture, tutorial and lab every week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg timetable.JPG (124.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 03-09-2009 at 06:40 PM   #33
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Right now I have Thursdays off, and only one tutorial on Fridays, but I'm busy Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
I have a 3 hour night class (includes a 2 hour lecture and a tutorial), a Theatre and Film class that has 2 one-hour lectures, a tutorial and a film screening, and a French class which consists of 1 one-hour lecture and 3 one-hour tutorials. My other two classes are the 2 lecture, 1 tutorial format.
Old 03-09-2009 at 07:15 PM   #34
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1993 View Post
Oh...
and how often are classes
Depends on where you're going in. I have friends that are in more of the Arts and they tend to have less classes and just do more work instead. Engineering, you get a ton of classes thrown in your face while getting pummelled with quizzes/assignments/tests everyweek. Sciences, I actually don't know. I don't really have anyone that I know in that program and is a close friend.

For myself though, I'd say you can maybe expect anywhere from 2-4 classes a day just to throw a harmless number (don't quote me on that). Plus, you also have to account for labs/tutorials, which are also scattered within your week and might become more frequent depending on what program you are in.
Old 03-09-2009 at 07:22 PM   #35
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Oh and to get back to some previous comments...

NOT EVERYONE IN UNIVERSITY DRINKS!!

I don't, and I have a whole bunch of friends who don't. Alcohol is not the key item needed for socialization at Mac.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 03-09-2009 at 07:26 PM   #36
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

It depends on your schedule. For me, I usually start class at 8:30am and continue until 2:30pm, with a one or two hour break somewhere inbetween.
Old 03-09-2009 at 07:27 PM   #37
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post

I don't, and I have a whole bunch of friends who don't. Alcohol is not the key item needed for socialization at Mac.
Yeah, plus you do not remember the people you meet while you are drunk anyway or the conversations you have with them.
Old 03-09-2009 at 08:55 PM   #38
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post

Yup, true, but I must admit some of my favorite times are going to the pub after a midterm with a couple of my friends, and getting something big too eat (Texas Stampede Burger @ Phoenix ftw~ Love the salsa/Jalapenos they put on that damn burger... so good ) with a cold beer on the side and just chatting it up with friends and talking about all the stupid questions that appeared on the test or talking about how well we ripped it. Hahaha, funny times :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by nino View Post
Yeah, plus you do not remember the people you meet while you are drunk anyway or the conversations you have with them.
Drinking doesn't always mean getting drunk :/...
Old 03-09-2009 at 09:12 PM   #39
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyK View Post
Drinking doesn't always mean getting drunk :/...
I should have clarified I suppose.

Yes, not all university students get hammered all the time.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 03-09-2009 at 09:46 PM   #40
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

You're right, RoyK...I misread what she posted and thought she was talking about students getting drunk.
Old 03-09-2009 at 11:10 PM   #41
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

I love the signs in the washrooms that say "If your friends can't have a good time without drinking, maybe you need new friends" Or, maybe you need to be a good friend and get them help if they can't have fun without drinking.
Old 03-10-2009 at 06:33 AM   #42
Kareko

Liked: 8 Times

science is pretty much like engineering with 1 fewer course (or more depends upon the engineer), though it does depend upon what you pick, for example 1B03 has more homework than 1LS3 in physics, though 1B03 is far more useful. defiantly a lot of assignment/quizes/lab work though.
Old 03-11-2009 at 05:56 PM   #43
adam1993

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks for the info