MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course at Another University Banshee Academics 1 07-10-2010 12:04 PM
University Transfer DMe3 Academics 9 06-17-2010 05:52 PM
If your CA is less than 3.0, you may not continue at the University. Arnold General Discussion 20 07-08-2009 10:13 AM
How is University? adam1993 General Discussion 42 03-11-2009 05:56 PM

University

Old 10-10-2010 at 12:41 PM   #16
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
University life fits me perfectly, so no complaints here.
For those of us who enjoy the majority of our time in silent isolated contemplation, it IS perfect.

But don't forget to occasionally venture out into the wilderness (if only to show people you aren't a sociopathic serial killer in the making)

O_o

crazyfree likes this.
Old 10-10-2010 at 01:24 PM   #17
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I know what you mean. I'm in second year and can hardly believe where first year and the summer went. Honestly, it is hard, and it can get pretty lonely if you stay in your room all the time and such. But I try my best to make up for it by talking to new people in class. Just strike up a random conversation about the course, program, frankly, ANYTHING! It's a pretty good feeling when the conversation picks up and you make a new friend . At the worst situation, if this person doesn't want to talk, you likely won't see them much in a huge lecture hall anyway . The way I see it, even though it's pretty hard to apply, is that everyone around you doesn't KNOW who you are.. so if you're shy or not very outgoing as some people are, and you act "out of character" i.e. talk and be outgoing, no one will know that it's not really you .
That's the end of my so-called outlook on things .
Old 10-10-2010 at 01:28 PM   #18
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I know what you mean. I'm in second year and can hardly believe where first year and the summer went. Honestly, it is hard, and it can get pretty lonely if you stay in your room all the time and such. But I try my best to make up for it by talking to new people in class. Just strike up a random conversation about the course, program, frankly, ANYTHING! It's a pretty good feeling when the conversation picks up and you make a new friend . At the worst situation, if this person doesn't want to talk, you likely won't see them much in a huge lecture hall anyway . The way I see it, even though it's pretty hard to apply, is that everyone around you doesn't KNOW who you are.. so if you're shy or not very outgoing as some people are, and you act "out of character" i.e. talk and be outgoing, no one will know that it's not really you .
That's the end of my so-called outlook on things .

I agree. You're annonymous in the sense that because no one knows who you are, you have the chance to tweak yourself as you see best. Granted, this stops working as you get to upper ears, but by that time, you should be doing fine.

The point is not to make lots of friends, but to make lots of great memories with a few special friends.
Old 10-10-2010 at 01:32 PM   #19
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
I agree. You're annonymous in the sense that because no one knows who you are, you have the chance to tweak yourself as you see best. Granted, this stops working as you get to upper ears, but by that time, you should be doing fine.

The point is not to make lots of friends, but to make lots of great memories with a few special friends.
Or lots of memories with lots of friends. Don't be so discriminatory.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-10-2010 at 01:36 PM   #20
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Or lots of memories with lots of friends. Don't be so discriminatory.

OP doesn't sound like the kind of person that has the easiest time making a shitload of friends because of shyness or whatever.

No discrimination, brah.
Old 10-10-2010 at 01:38 PM   #21
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:

I completely agree. Another thing about being an annonymous face (in 1st year, anyway) in a school with hundreds of people is that if you do something really stupid or embarrass yourself, no one knows who you are and it's unlikely that you'll see the people who witnessed you doing that something stupid again, anyways.
Old 10-10-2010 at 01:39 PM   #22
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
OP doesn't sound like the kind of person that has the easiest time making a shitload of friends because of shyness or whatever.

No discrimination, brah.
... I definitely don't think it's because of shyness.

;D

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-10-2010 at 03:52 PM   #23
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
... I definitely don't think it's because of shyness.

;D

lmao, oh you.
Old 10-10-2010 at 04:39 PM   #24
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:

Based on what I heard from upper year friends and such, it generally gets easier for everyone going into third year. First year is more of exploring and getting to know what university is all about. Second, you're just starting to establish your study/social skills and making sure everything is working for you. So third year seems like the best time when you get a hang of things around you.

Actually, I find that making a lot of memories with a special group of friends to be more of a high school thing . At university, because of the bigger scale of things and at least for me, I try to make a ton of connections and friends just because it's possible to do so with so many people of so many backgrounds/programs and from all over the country and world. Unlike in high school where it's just a few hundred people, and many of them fit with the same categories (at my high school at least)
Old 10-10-2010 at 07:11 PM   #25
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Based on what I heard from upper year friends and such, it generally gets easier for everyone going into third year. First year is more of exploring and getting to know what university is all about. Second, you're just starting to establish your study/social skills and making sure everything is working for you. So third year seems like the best time when you get a hang of things around you.

Actually, I find that making a lot of memories with a special group of friends to be more of a high school thing . At university, because of the bigger scale of things and at least for me, I try to make a ton of connections and friends just because it's possible to do so with so many people of so many backgrounds/programs and from all over the country and world. Unlike in high school where it's just a few hundred people, and many of them fit with the same categories (at my high school at least)
I'm loving 2nd year right now, other than the stupid STUPID ANNOYING fact that EVERY CLASS this term has a group project or essay (except for one that isn't group but is still a project/essay).

Oh and LS 2A03 being total crap.

FFFFFFFFffuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Old 10-10-2010 at 07:57 PM   #26
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
I'm loving 2nd year right now, other than the stupid STUPID ANNOYING fact that EVERY CLASS this term has a group project or essay (except for one that isn't group but is still a project/essay).

Oh and LS 2A03 being total crap.

FFFFFFFFffuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
SO true! I guess group projects are kind of a way to get to know more people.. but then again it's GROUP work.. which I don't particularly like. But I must admit, it's much MUCH better than first year.
Old 10-11-2010 at 12:48 PM   #27
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

2nd year > 1st year hands down
Old 10-11-2010 at 12:52 PM   #28
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
2nd year > 1st year hands down
Im going to reserve judgement till my midterms are over.

But so far..... yes.
Old 10-11-2010 at 01:11 PM   #29
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Lonely first years are lonely.
Old 10-11-2010 at 01:40 PM   #30
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
Lonely first years are lonely.
Side note:Actually no. I was much more social last year and that's how everyone I knew was. Those who are lonely probably don't put themselves out there enough.