MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
transfer?? Ziggi Academics 4 08-17-2010 07:53 PM
Helllppp!!!!!! University Transfer carrka First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 06-03-2010 11:40 AM
Transfer Drkhan Academics 9 02-20-2010 11:49 PM
University Transfer R633 General Discussion 5 09-01-2009 10:28 PM
Transfer to Mac Pay919 Academics 3 12-20-2008 11:51 PM

University Transfer

Old 06-16-2010 at 08:01 AM   #1
DMe3

Liked: 26 Times

University Transfer
So I was looking at the university transfer page and it says
Quote:
Grades obtained in courses taken at another university will not be included in McMaster's Cumulative Average, and, therefore, cannot be used to raise your standing.
What does that mean?
Thanks!
Old 06-16-2010 at 08:11 AM   #2
rebeccaaa

Liked: 0 Times

It means that you'll just get the credit for taking the course and the actual numeric mark won't be included in your average.

DMe3 says thanks to rebeccaaa for this post.
Old 06-16-2010 at 08:19 AM   #3
nlobo

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccaaa View Post
It means that you'll just get the credit for taking the course and the actual numeric mark won't be included in your average.
yea i'm pretty sure if you take a course at another university it will just show up as a pass or fail on your transcript. you won't actually get a numeric mark. But i think if a grad school requires the numeric mark for the course you would have to contact the school that you took it at to get that.

DMe3 says thanks to nlobo for this post.
Old 06-16-2010 at 08:40 AM   #4
DMe3

Liked: 26 Times

is that like a disadvantage or does it not matter?
Old 06-16-2010 at 04:51 PM   #5
nlobo

Liked: 5 Times

Well it depends on the university. Some don't really care if it just says pass as long as you have the credit for the course. But some want the grade mark. It all depends what school you are looking at. Even if you do plan to take it another school i'm sure you can get the grade mark sent but you would need to go talk to them specifically.
Old 06-16-2010 at 05:15 PM   #6
resh.jyoti

Liked: 29 Times

It's an advantage sometimes. I was horrible at Physics 1L03 and Chem 1A03 during the term so I dropped them both and took them at Athabasca, ONLINE and I know I won't do REALLY WELL on them anyways, so having no mark is a good thing for me
Old 06-16-2010 at 06:43 PM   #7
R633

Liked: 24 Times

I contacted an academic advisor about this same topic. I did my first year at uOttawa and just finished my second year here at Mac. She told me that you will have two different CA's. One from Ottawa and one from McMaster.
Old 06-16-2010 at 07:07 PM   #8
Cassanova

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by resh.jyoti View Post
It's an advantage sometimes. I was horrible at Physics 1L03 and Chem 1A03 during the term so I dropped them both and took them at Athabasca, ONLINE and I know I won't do REALLY WELL on them anyways, so having no mark is a good thing for me
how did you register for Athabasca and do they offer chemistry 2OA3?
Old 06-17-2010 at 04:36 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlobo View Post
yea i'm pretty sure if you take a course at another university it will just show up as a pass or fail on your transcript. you won't actually get a numeric mark. But i think if a grad school requires the numeric mark for the course you would have to contact the school that you took it at to get that.
That's correct. When you apply for professional or graduate school you should get a transcript from ALL universities you have taken a course at.
Old 06-17-2010 at 05:52 PM   #10
resh.jyoti

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassanova View Post
how did you register for Athabasca and do they offer chemistry 2OA3?
Well since you're in sciences you can do that same thing as me
You need to apply for a Letter of Permission first, with the course equivalent you want to take.
http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/ass...2/letters.html
On that page at the bottom you can see all the equivalent courses from different universities, and yes Athabasca has almost EVERYTHING.

You DO have labs, you get home lab kits mailed to you. You also have to apply for your exams and write them at an approved institution (with like a $40 fee) but you are allowed to repeat it twice and the higher mark is taken Sometimes they even allow you to take it more than twice. Everything else, as far as I know, such as assignments and lab reports are submitted online, scanned or you can even mail them if you want.

You can go here and sign up for the course, and you have 6 months to complete it all, with no order in which you have to do things (I'm leaving all labs to the end ).
http://www.athabascau.ca/

Hope that helps!