MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Academic Probation njd123 Academics 3 05-30-2010 10:05 PM
Academic Advising 10pauljuli First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-01-2010 05:33 PM
Academic standing greekkid First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 04-14-2010 08:13 PM
Academic Review meklia Academics 0 03-15-2010 08:08 AM
McMaster Policies Janesmith General Discussion 3 01-25-2009 04:18 PM

University Academic Policies

Old 12-10-2008 at 06:31 PM   #1
jmgk

Liked: 18 Times

University Academic Policies
Just recently I had an assignment due for a course (lab notebook) and we were given no clear explanations of what was expected of us. The notebooks were marked once at the beginning of the term to make sure we were doing our work accordingly.

When the book was finally do, I completed it taking in the suggestions by the class instructor and expanding on my own work to earn myself a better grade. When the book was returned I received a failing grade. The assignments were marked by a TA. I asked them for a copy of the requirements after the book was returned to me to see where I had went wrong. The requirements now say that this lab notebook is not like any other lab notebook. I did not know this and the class was not informed of this.

Is there anything in any of McMaster's policy indicating anything about not giving students the correct guidelines to complete assignments? I just don't believe its fair that when originally marked I did very well, but the second time around it appears that there was whole new guideline.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2008 at 07:01 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

If you tried to talk to the TA about when this change was implemented and feel the answer isn't satisfactory, try and set up a meeting with your prof before the end of exams. They're the ones designing the course and imputing final marks, so they have the final say in all grades.

When you go to talk to them you MUST come across as, well, confused to your professor. If you come across as angry or upset the prof will not listen to you. Explain also that you did really well initially, and now received a failing grade, and you don't understand what it is that you are doing wrong.

You should also mention how you want to learn from this experience so you can do better in the future. Don't talk about changing your grade until you know the entire situation.

University is unfortunately about finding out things for yourself...and just because you're unaware of something doesn't necessarily mean the information wasn't provided. Next time you don't have clear expectations ask for them well in advance of the due date.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 12-10-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-10-2008 at 07:08 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

And no, there is no policy, or rules on guidelines. University is completely subjective.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 12-10-2008 at 09:56 PM   #4
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

usually it's said in the course outline, or by the prof or TA at the beginning of the year.
I personally would rather buy the lab notebook at Titles for the specific course, biology, physics or chem

For one bio course I took; we were told that any notebook was acceptable as long as it did not have removable pages.

But generally you are told what is acceptable by the prof, TA or in the course outline.