MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Help with High School Math Kira Academics 6 01-21-2010 07:06 PM
High School vs University Essays bestinc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 10-05-2009 03:51 PM
High School Documents Serps First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-22-2009 04:06 PM
what high school did you go to? lorend Academics 48 08-30-2008 10:33 PM

Is University as 'Competative' as High School?

Old 08-20-2007 at 09:53 PM   #1
v-pop

Liked: 0 Times

Is University as 'Competative' as High School?
What are your opinions on that? I mean we've all witnessed (or heard) of different cliques in high school. Does University, in your opinion, have a similar mentality? (ex: Engineers looking down on Humanities students, etc. )
Old 08-20-2007 at 10:31 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

In my experience, there are a lot of the redsuits that mock and tease humanities students. Some insist it's a joke. Some tell it to incoming first year students as if it was fact. I have also heard a lot of 'Oh, you're not as smart as people in ___ because you're in Humanities". That's exactly like me saying to someone else "Oh, you're not as smart as someone in Humanities because you can't write a coherent essay".

People have different kinds of intelligence, damn it!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-21-2007 at 10:11 PM   #3
paul
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 2 Times

If you are referring to interfaculty competition, there is a lot of heat between science and engineering. I never participated nor understood the distpute. Apparently engineers take the "it takes a scientist to think a bridge, but an engineer to build it" argument, while science students argue "engineers build our dreams". I think the whole thing is very childish actually.

If you mean within the faculty, i'd say health sciences is one of the most competitive ones . All students admitting to the faculty believed they are the best and they deserve med school, and then they find out that other students are just as good as them. This leads to a lot of competition.

Paul
PS: I don't have anything against Health Sciences because I know many of my good high school friends are in it, but that's the general impression I get from it - I could be wrong though.
Old 08-21-2007 at 10:24 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

You're right, Paul. I have heard of some students in Health Sci looking down on 'normal' science students as they're apparently not as "smart".

The whole stupid thing is childish.

We're in university now, people. GROW UP.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-22-2007 at 12:35 AM   #5
lucc

I completely agree with everything stated above. I'm a Humanities student, and I truly believe that this faculty provides its students with a well-rounded and informed view of the world we live in. Just like the faculty name implies - this is first and foremost a HUMAN world, and I feel there is true value in studying these areas of knowledge.

That being said, I can definitely respect students in other faculties because they are all obviously pursuing knowledge in other important areas of life. I just don't appreciate it when some faculties feel like they have the right to belittle other faculties because they technically have more hours spent in the classroom. My roommate last year was in Eng, and he spent every single lecture playing World of Warcraft on his laptop.

I came out of high school with an 88% average, and I took the Engineering "prep" courses such as calculus and algebra, as well as the history, law, and politics courses. What I'm saying is that I am capable of doing the work of an Eng student, I just chose to pursue knowledge that I'm more passionate about. Does that make me less intelligent than you?

I think all responsible students, no matter the faculty, work long and hard to perform well. And if you think a certain faculty has it "easy", try spending some time in their shoes. So before all you Eng students bite my head off, I dare you to churn out 18 essays in 1 year and never score less than a B

Well that was lengthy, I just can't help but write an essay nowadays... I've been programmed.

Last edited by lucc : 08-22-2007 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-22-2007 at 02:25 AM   #6
v-pop

Completely agree with everything you've said, lucc. A good friend of mine always jokes about how most Humanities students will get only a BA and then later will end up working in some random office for less than 35,000 a year. Or go to teacher's college and stay in school forever. He's in Health Sci, and he's planning to go to Med School when he's done. The joke is always a chuckle, but after a while it becomes repetitive and one starts to realize that there is some truth in it (by that I mean that the person who's prolonging the verbal bitchfight really truly believes what he/she is saying).

Another friend of mine is in Engineering and constantly complains about the workload he has, then ALWAYS begins to bicker about how we (the students in humanities) have it "easy." I'm sure a lot of his peers have a different mindset, but I've seen this happen way too many times to think it's not true.

I say people should just shut up, study what they're supposed to study, because they chose to pursue that type of work, and respect others. We're adults now, the pubescent mentality is just repulsive.

-Vlad
Old 08-23-2007 at 02:12 PM   #7
babyxtc

there are lil cliques like that
like mention health sci look down at science kids

but wutever it not like wen ur walking around the student centre a hth sci kid will go up to a sci kid and be like U SUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKK.

dont worry, ppl usually hang around ppl in the same faculty bc its esier to help eachother and ur likely taking the same classes. not always the case. but dont worry about it so much it not like mean girls ~ everyone pretty much gets along w/ eachother : ]
Old 08-23-2007 at 04:20 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Pretty much...

There are certain exceptions who tend to think they're better than everyone else...and like to write allll over the school...

Old 08-27-2007 at 08:11 AM   #9
SarahP

Geez, What is it with the Engineers!?

I'm in Humanities and my boyfriend is in engineering. I can't tell you how annoying his repetitive superiority boosts are. And when I talk about my school and assignments, he'll laugh and ask me what the purpose of such nonsense is. *sigh*
Old 08-27-2007 at 12:09 PM   #10
v-pop

I wish I could answer that, Sarah, but I've been pondering the same thing for a while.

I just choose to ignore it and laugh whenever somebody attempts to ridicule what I'm studying. Then I tell them that I can actually use my brain, as opposed to simply memorizing everything that's given to me. :o)
Old 08-27-2007 at 04:08 PM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

It's got to be a testosterone thing, too.

Old 09-02-2007 at 10:32 PM   #12
lucc

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-pop View Post
I wish I could answer that, Sarah, but I've been pondering the same thing for a while.

I just choose to ignore it and laugh whenever somebody attempts to ridicule what I'm studying. Then I tell them that I can actually use my brain, as opposed to simply memorizing everything that's given to me. :o)
I totally agree. I think studying the arts is one of the most important things nowadays because it seems like everybody and their mother wants to become a scientist or an engineer... And the arts are suffering because of it!

Studying things like history, literature, anthropology, philosophy, etc are so valuable because they give you a view of what the actual WORLD is about... It's not all about knowing how to design a bridge, or trade stocks, or mix chemicals in a lab.
Old 09-03-2007 at 09:53 PM   #13
paul
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucc View Post
I totally agree. I think studying the arts is one of the most important things nowadays because it seems like everybody and their mother wants to become a scientist or an engineer... And the arts are suffering because of it!

Studying things like history, literature, anthropology, philosophy, etc are so valuable because they give you a view of what the actual WORLD is about... It's not all about knowing how to design a bridge, or trade stocks, or mix chemicals in a lab.

ooo, you're sitting on a high horse there.

Quote:
so valuable because they give you a view of what the actual WORLD is about
Why don't you use that knowledge to cure millions of people who die each day due from infectious diseases. Why don't you use that knoweldge to prevent the Minessota bridge collapse. Why don't you use that knowledge to stop global warming. Why don't you use that knowedge to move the world towards economic propserity. If it's not about that, then what is it about and how can I make this world a better place?

I'm not saying humanities are useless, they are essential to understand ourselves and our sense of being, and there are jobs in this world that require that. Yet I don't think science is this useless dicipline that corrupts people by stealing them away from studying Humanities. There are those that are gifted in Humanities and Social Sciences, and there are those that are gifted in Engineering and Science. I happened to be the Science one, and I respect those in Humanities because I know I wouldn't be as successful in those classes as they are.
Quote:
Then I tell them that I can actually use my brain, as opposed to simply memorizing everything that's given to me.
You have no idea how wrong you are.

Paul

Last edited by paul : 09-03-2007 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-03-2007 at 10:57 PM   #14
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

lol! Wow, some heated discussion going on in here.

And hense why there has always been rivalry between Engineers and Humanities. See http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1700 8
Old 09-04-2007
paul
This message has been removed by a moderator. .