MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Help with High School Math Kira Academics 6 01-21-2010 07:06 PM
High School vs University Essays bestinc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 10-05-2009 03:51 PM
High School Documents Serps First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-22-2009 04:06 PM
what high school did you go to? lorend Academics 48 08-30-2008 10:33 PM

Is University as 'Competative' as High School?

Old 09-04-2007 at 08:53 AM   #16
paul
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 2 Times

They started it!!! :p
Old 09-04-2007 at 04:34 PM   #17
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Engineers:"spppaaaaat uuulllaaa"
Humanities:"You went to prom alone" and "half of you will fail"

ha, I love Welcome Week.

edit :: and just for fun, the 'Izumi' person in my sig is actually a friend of mine in Waterloo engineering :p

Last edited by kenneth526 : 09-04-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-04-2007 at 09:13 PM   #18
gregster

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-pop View Post
Another friend of mine is in Engineering and constantly complains about the workload he has, then ALWAYS begins to bicker about how we (the students in humanities) have it "easy." I'm sure a lot of his peers have a different mindset, but I've seen this happen way too many times to think it's not true.
Well for starters engineers generally have 37-40 units/year, other faculties are almost all 30 it seems.
Old 09-10-2007 at 07:10 PM   #19
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

It's true, gregster; people in soc sci and humanities tend to have less credit value with our courses.

However, they are structured in a much different way. I have lots of friends in science and eng who don't attend class. Why? Because all of their notes and information is put up on WebCT or Learnlink for them. Nor are tutorials mandatory. For us we in soc sci and humanities we need to attend class or we miss out on the notes, and if we miss tutorial we get docked marks.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-11-2007 at 12:28 PM   #20
SarahP

Liked: 0 Times

Might I recommend a fine peice of literature, (it's in the library) a little red book called, 'Science and Humanities' by Erwin Schrödinger.

The best case is when humanities and engineering or the more pure sciences inform each other and merge. The worst is when they all build walls or petty competitions between one another.

Who cares about what I think. Schrodinger was the bee's knees so I'm on his side, (rather the middle.)
Old 09-11-2007 at 10:09 PM   #21
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Indeed.

I actually had an article to read for one of my seminars that is applicable for all of you to read.

Check it out here: http://jrp.icaap.org/index.php/jrp/article/view/9/18

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-08-2007 at 10:26 AM   #22
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Well, I just thought I'd let you guys know as an Engineer and a Redsuit and a girllllll some of my thoughts...

we have a lot of work. we do. and many of our classes like math have the notes only given in class. We usually have two or three labs a week too. thats intense. and yes, we have class on fridays

but when it comes to faculty wars, its meant to be in jest. and we dont actually start anything most of the time. usually on frosh week the humanities or something will come over and try to bother us during our introduction to WP and SP or the commies will bust in on a reds meeting... yes.. we actually train our reps.. and you have to try out to get in! So what we do is almost completely in rebuttle.

We also make sure, however to tell everyone of those frosh that we dont actually HATE artsies. its a joke.

and my laptop is going to die so ill most more later hahaha perhaps

later dudes
Old 10-08-2007 at 10:52 PM   #23
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

And only in the last two years were there rules for your tryouts as reds.

I know a red (since graduated) who drank a lot and that was his basis for getting in.

And allll faculty reps have some sort of audition process.