MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
giving away psych 1xx3 notes for whole course mk90 Academics 20 02-27-2011 08:34 PM
anyone else get a weird email from UTS about your mac email account? darkstar General Discussion 19 01-16-2011 10:37 AM
Mac places sixth in university rankings Email Story Email story PrintPrint Text Size Iamanonymous General Discussion 1 11-06-2009 09:42 AM
giving blood on campus??? macculkin General Discussion 5 10-20-2009 08:51 AM
Obama giving in to FISA Chad Politics 5 07-20-2008 02:55 PM

University giving out email address?

Old 03-01-2011 at 08:11 PM   #1
Juicebox

Liked: 179 Times

University giving out email address?
Checking my university email inbox I see an email titled "Mosaic is Hiring!!!". You can tell this is going to be legit because they used the golden number of exclamation marks.

The content of the first few lines? "Mosaic is an industry leader in Experiential Marketing and Selling & Merchandising".

Great, so why does my inbox contain door-to-door soliciting spam? I don't remember ticking off "Yes, please give out my contact information to shitty marketing agencies".

Did anyone else get the email? And does anyone know who I should contact about this?

ShadowPlay likes this.
Old 03-01-2011 at 08:15 PM   #2
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

First step: Calm down.

Biochem47 likes this.
Old 03-01-2011 at 08:16 PM   #3
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Who did you get the email from? Like is it from someone @mosaic or no?
Old 03-01-2011 at 08:18 PM   #4
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I wasn't too impressed with this either.
Technically, it's being sent from Career Services (the email address is [email protected]).
But obviously Mosaic just wrote up this email and paid Mac to send it to all students. It's even signed by the "Mosaic Campus Ambassador", and not the Career Centre. It's just paid solicitation. :/

The only person I can think of contacting about this is Mary (MSU President). She's the one who dealt with CollegePro wasting lecture time, and this seems kind of similar. The email is [email protected] ca

Last edited by Kathy2 : 03-01-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-01-2011 at 08:23 PM   #5
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I wasn't too impressed with this either.
Technically, it's being sent from Career Services (the email address is [email protected]).
But obviously Mosaic just wrote up this email and paid Mac to send it to all students. It's even signed by the "Mosaic Campus Ambassador", and not the Career Centre. It's just paid solicitation. :/

The only person I can think of contacting about this is Mary (MSU President). She's the one who dealt with CollegePro wasting lecture time, and this seems kind of similar. The email is [email protected] ca

I would still contact the career centre, they're the ones allowing the e-mails to go out I think. So that should be your first place to contact as opposed to going through the MSU president. CollegePro was different because I don't think they were going through a career centre. Just call the career centre tomorrow.
Old 03-01-2011 at 08:48 PM   #6
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
Who did you get the email from? Like is it from someone @mosaic or no?
I got it too. It was from [email protected], with the blanks being there because it could possibly be someone's name.
Old 03-01-2011 at 08:55 PM   #7
Juicebox

Liked: 179 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
First step: Calm down.
Mind if I ask for your phone number? I think it will fit right in amongst others in a nice telemarketing database.

Shady emails like these may only waste space in my inbox, but some other student can end up applying because it came from -- what should be -- a trusted source.
Old 03-01-2011 at 08:56 PM   #8
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
I got it too. It was from [email protected], with the blanks being there because it could possibly be someone's name.
They don't seems to care about the privacy of your email, why are you doing the same?

It was [email protected].

I agree with the above concern. Advertising through official school email definitely is not a professional move.

Afzal says thanks to PHLN for this post.
Old 03-01-2011 at 09:02 PM   #9
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Lmao, wowwwwwww. Why exactly is everyone assuming this is a shady company? Because they used 2 too many exclamation marks?

Newsflash: Not the first time you've received an e-mail from McMaster about job opportunities.

And on a related note, are you really comparing http://www.mosaicjobs.com/ to http://www.snap-logix.com/employment.aspx ?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-01-2011 at 09:10 PM   #10
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Lmao, wowwwwwww. Why exactly is everyone assuming this is a shady company? Because they used 2 too many exclamation marks?

Newsflash: Not the first time you've received an e-mail from McMaster about job opportunities.

And on a related note, are you really comparing http://www.mosaicjobs.com/ to http://www.snap-logix.com/employment.aspx ?

Good point, I guess. I mean, UofOttawa spelled medicine or médecine as "medecine" on my acceptance letter for their Biomedical Science program. You would think they just mispelled the word because they are bilingual, but that's wrong in both languages. So case in point, universities are liable to typographical errors. In the end, it's the student's job to find out whether a company advertising through the university is legitimate or not, either via the administration, or otherwise.

Last edited by justinsftw : 03-01-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-01-2011 at 09:29 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I disagree with the attitude of this thread.

(unless it turns out the mosaic site is a farce and its an elabourate scheme with fake job postings, etc)
Old 03-01-2011 at 10:55 PM   #12
Mowicz
Elite Member

Here's a gem that was delivered to my grad student inbox earlier today:

" It’s your time for an education!
A big distance is between a first class till the final exam. Isn’t?
We are here to make your way shorter.
We know that’s something you can’t find around the corner.
It is an EDUCATION! You can find it right here.
Get free info! Call us and you will get professional help in choosing right option
for you!
The secret of our popularity is the quality, responsibility and respect.
PhD, Master, Bachelor
2-4 weeks and you are graduaded. "

camais, Cliu91, icecubz like this.
Old 03-02-2011 at 01:07 AM   #13
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I've worked for mosaic before. To give them some credibility: They paid for a day of training in Toronto, on Rogers services, paid a couple dollars over minimum wage, and offered a healthy commission ontop for services sold. That was a two month term around Christmas.

justinsftw says thanks to mike_302 for this post.
Old 03-02-2011 at 06:52 PM   #14
Kathy2
Elite Member

I'm not saying Mosaic is a shady company. A friend of mine was the Mosaic Rep at Mac a few years ago. They are a legit company and they have student jobs.
The point is that students shouldn't be solicited via email like this. I don't know how people got an email from mcosta, but mine definately came straight from [email protected]. It's not like the normal email tht Career Services sends out about job openings. This was obviously written and sent by Mosaic, and they simply paid the school to send it out under the Career Services name.
Old 03-02-2011 at 07:24 PM   #15
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I'm not saying Mosaic is a shady company. A friend of mine was the Mosaic Rep at Mac a few years ago. They are a legit company and they have student jobs.
The point is that students shouldn't be solicited via email like this. I don't know how people got an email from mcosta, but mine definately came straight from [email protected]. It's not like the normal email tht Career Services sends out about job openings. This was obviously written and sent by Mosaic, and they simply paid the school to send it out under the Career Services name.
Why the hell not? Would you be pissed if GM, Bombardier, OPG, etc let students know of opportunities via Career Services?

These aren't shady companies. Students need to get a foot in a door. And not one that's down a dark alley. I don't see the problem.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.