MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
course email cjdzl Academics 2 09-09-2010 11:26 AM
Email Help asloan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-31-2010 07:25 PM
[urgent] "account is full (quota exceeded)" email problem WekSos Academics 3 07-06-2010 11:33 AM
Mac places sixth in university rankings Email Story Email story PrintPrint Text Size Iamanonymous General Discussion 1 11-06-2009 09:42 AM
McMaster Email account problem Jdyks General Discussion 10 08-28-2009 09:03 PM

anyone else get a weird email from UTS about your mac email account?

Old 01-15-2011 at 11:09 PM   #1
darkstar

Liked: 47 Times

anyone else get a weird email from UTS about your mac email account?
this is what it says:

Dear McMaster Email User ("mymacid"@mcmaster.ca),

This message is from the UTS Help & Information of McMaster University to all our Staff and Student. We are currently upgrading our database and e-mail center and this is our final notification to you.we have sent several messages to you without response.

We are deleting all unused Mail account to create space for new accounts. In order not to be suspended, you will have to update your account by providing the information listed below:

Confirm Your McMaster E-Mail Details..

Email Address: [email protected]
Password: ..............
Re Confirm Password: ..................

If you fail to confirm your continuous usage of our services by confirming your email password now, your account will be disable and you will not be able to access your email. You should immediately reply this email and enter your password in the above password column.

Thanks for your understanding
Regards,
UTS Service Desk

I have not gotten any previous notices and this went to my spam account but it does have the [email protected] email address. It was also sent at 9pm friday night and I'm sure those guys don't work at all let alone friday at 9pm. This seems fishy to me and I was wondering if anyone else got one. There is no way I'm sending in my password but I was wondering if others have got this before I go talk to UTS.
Old 01-15-2011 at 11:21 PM   #2
collinbf

Liked: 49 Times

That sounds like a complete scam. UTS would be able to instantly tell which email addresses have been active without sending that out. Plus they would only deactivate it if you were no longer enrolled, regardless of use. Plus its UTS they would have no use for your password as they could go into your account without it.

DO NOT REPLY.

EDIT:
You should inform UTS about this however, as it appears someone is trying to scam students.
Old 01-15-2011 at 11:37 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

I concur with what Kermit said.
Old 01-15-2011 at 11:41 PM   #4
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

As real as this may look, it's fake
Old 01-15-2011 at 11:42 PM   #5
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Definitely needs to be brought to the attention of UTS because theres always someone who falls for this scam no matter how obvious it is lol.

To answer your question though I've recieved that on multiple occasions a few months back and I forwarded UTS the email with the senders address. Not much else you can do really.
Old 01-15-2011 at 11:42 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Woah, that's so weird. I would definitely email UTS about it asap!

snaps likes this.
Old 01-15-2011 at 11:45 PM   #7
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

You know what else I'd do? Email something funny back!
Old 01-16-2011 at 12:03 AM   #8
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

ive never gotten one from 'uts' but ppl have tried the same scam with almost identical wording with hotmail
Old 01-16-2011 at 12:13 AM   #9
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Trolololololo

edit/

Obvious scam is obvious.

Last edited by Desda : 01-16-2011 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-16-2011 at 12:42 AM   #10
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

Quote:
This message is from the UTS Help & Information of McMaster University to all our Staff and Student.
Quote:
...you.we have sent several messages to you without response.
Quote:
...In order not to be suspended
Quote:
your account will be disable and you will not be able to access your email. You should immediately reply this email and enter your password in the above password column.
It's the little things to watch out for. Spoofing an email ID is nothing new/hard. Had this email been forwarded to your Gmail/Yahoo account (via the automatic forwarding), those services might have warned you that this email does not originate from where it seems. Also you would have been able to get more information on the sender from the Gmail "View Original" feature.

Someone wants your mac password, I don't know why but they want it. You should report this to UTS and change your password immediately and never give it to anyone. Never even think of giving it to anyone. Also, they think you're 10 years old because this trick got old long ago. Companies don't ask for passwords using email mainly because nobody in the company knows those passwords anyway, it's not like they're stored as plain text in the databases.
Old 01-16-2011 at 12:43 AM   #11
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Are we talking about MYM]Acid?
Old 01-16-2011 at 01:55 AM   #12
darkstar

Liked: 47 Times

I knew it was fake right away cause they have no use for my password and I use that account everyday. I was mostly wondering if this is a common problem and random or if I was being targeted for some reason.

Either way, I guess UTS knows about these emails or else the system wouldn't have sent it to spam. I would just like them to find the source and deal with cause many of our emails or at least mine is only available through avenue right now. I don't use mine for anything not mac related or give it out, so the only people that could even find out what it is are people in my classes or people at UTS.

I'm not that creative and I use the same password for many things and would never give it out cause I have seen the damage computer scammers can do. I'm just suprised that even an email address that is only privy to fellow students and faculty is not safe from scammers.
Old 01-16-2011 at 01:58 AM   #13
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

I would be flattered if somebody managed to target me in such a way....
Old 01-16-2011 at 02:05 AM   #14
phln3

Liked: 22 Times

What's the point of stealing someone @mcmaster.ca email?
Old 01-16-2011 at 03:17 AM   #15
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by phln3 View Post
What's the point of stealing someone @mcmaster.ca email?
ID theft probably.