MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1280's New logo jeffgreen General Discussion 316 09-03-2009 07:41 AM
1280's New Logo Discussion Gets Heated Chad MacInsiders Announcements 34 08-02-2009 01:21 PM
1280's New Logo Revealed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-30-2009 02:24 PM
Welcome Week 2008 Logo Revealed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 9 05-16-2008 08:17 AM
Welcome Week Logo Contest! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 8 05-14-2008 09:38 AM

University Logo Discussion

Old 07-31-2009 at 09:42 PM   #1
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Here's a logo fail that tops even that of the 1280 one.. they changed from the image on the left to the one on the right:

for a university's official logo?! REALLY?! ...My friend descibes the new one as "the 80s throwing up on a giant w"..

source: http://www.underconsideratio n.com/..._su rvive.php

Last edited by temara.brown : 07-31-2009 at 09:49 PM.

.:callen:. likes this.
Old 07-31-2009 at 09:53 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temara.brown View Post
Here's a logo fail that tops even this.. they changed from the image on the left to the one on the right:

for a university's official logo?! REALLY?! ...My friend descibes the new one as "the 80s throwing up on a giant w"..

source: http://www.underconsideratio n.com/..._su rvive.php
Wow, they should have really sticked with the old one.
Old 07-31-2009 at 09:56 PM   #3
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Quote:
Here's a logo fail that tops even this.. they changed from the image on the left to the one on the right ...
Is this one better?
Old 07-31-2009 at 10:26 PM   #4
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

The students at Waterloo have been quite frazzled over this. There's even a facebook group opposing the rebranding and it's reached nearly 8,000 members...

...but this is my favourite:

To those who still think a logo is a trivial decision, perhaps think again..

close favourite:

Gandhi89, samantha__ like this.
Old 07-31-2009 at 10:32 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
The students at Waterloo have been quite frazzled over this. There's even a facebook group opposing the rebranding and it's reached nearly 8,000 members...

Lol, the good old Hitler subbing XD
Old 07-31-2009 at 10:52 PM   #6
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:

I lolled so hard, they really hate that new logo don't they?
Old 08-01-2009 at 08:27 AM   #7
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Ya, Waterloo interestingly enough didn't change the logo on their website though...
Old 08-02-2009 at 11:52 AM   #8
Alex McColl

Liked: 11 Times

As for the U of Waterloo logo I think this is something Mac students should watch out for.

"Meg Beckel, the university’s vice president of external affairs, said the new logo has the support of several focus groups, including staff, members of the public and students. They think it better reflects what the university represents, she said." http://news.therecord.com/article/577086

Now they say that the original logo will still be used on all documents and degrees while the new logo will be for marketing. However, having 2 logos doesn't make much sense (although Mac has 2 - a logo and a coat of arms). The fact that the Mac logos include a cross on the chest of the eagle and, in the coat of arms, the moto: "All things cohere in Christ" (in Greek) make them ideal targets for Politically Correct modification. Call me a pessimistic proud kilt wearing Scot, but I'd bet money that one of the "focus groups" that changed Waterloo's logo talked about diversity and how the 3 Rampant Lions of Scotland on their shield didn't do that very well.

If you think our Mac logo isn't under attack from the Politically Correct, you're wrong. And this is serendipitously where James comes back into play. For you see, the Degroote Commerce Society has removed the cross from the eagle's chest on their logo. http://www.degrootecommerce. ca/

http://www.mcmaster.ca/coat/
http://www.brandsoftheworld. com/ca...ion/51665.html
Old 08-02-2009 at 12:26 PM   #9
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Ridiculous. The various groups and societies on campus are free to use any logo they want. The McMaster Science Society, McMaster Engineering Society, MSSS and McMaster Humanities Society all don't include any eagles in their logos.

The MSU logo also includes an eagle, and there's no cross on it. What of that?

I think the eagle (or Maurader, as we often put it) is one of the primary symbols of Mac. Nobody cares about the cross, for better or worse.

I think you're just trying to cause more beefs for no good reason.
Old 08-02-2009 at 01:29 PM   #10
Alex McColl

I care about the cross.

The other logos that use an eagle don't use the eagle off the Mac Logo. The Degroote Commerce Society used the exact same eagle only without the cross. I complained when I was a student and they first took the cross off the eagle.

The eagle in Mac's logo is a version of the eagle of the Holy Roman Empire (Germany) and even without the cross represents the legacy of European Christian education. The point I'm trying to make is that our history matters. It doesn't make sense to embrace other religions and cultures while white washing our own history away. If we do, we might be left with a yellow and maroon M.
Old 08-02-2009 at 01:35 PM   #11
james2255
Faculty Society VP

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex McColl View Post
I care about the cross.

The other logos that use an eagle don't use the eagle off the Mac Logo. The Degroote Commerce Society used the exact same eagle only without the cross. I complained when I was a student and they first took the cross off the eagle.

The eagle in Mac's logo is a version of the eagle of the Holy Roman Empire (Germany) and even without the cross represents the legacy of European Christian education. The point I'm trying to make is that our history matters. It doesn't make sense to embrace other religions and cultures while white washing our own history away. If we do, we might be left with a yellow and maroon M.

To add some context, the Society (DCS) has had a bit of a branding crisis over the past few years; one of the many positive changes coming in September.

Stay tuned for the branding campaign and more details coming in the fall.

Cheers,

--
James Steels
Old 08-02-2009 at 01:45 PM   #12
Alex McColl

Thanks James,

To be fair, the crossless Eagle was better than the faceless businessman of the old logo.
Old 08-02-2009 at 01:47 PM   #13
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex McColl View Post
I was discussing this very thing with a friend of mine a week or two ago.

Since Alex has already said the details, I'll basically just add that isn't keeping the eagle, but not the cross a double standard? History is history, we can't pick and choose our roots.

Like sure, the various clubs have every right to choose a different symbol because their histories need not be so deeply intertwined with Mac's history.

But the notion of altering Mac's symbol is a lot like getting a legal name change when you are nobility: you're tossing aside your proud history...and for what? Embarrassment? Maybe a last name like Yukniewicz isn't the most appealing name, but if it's noble it's noble...likewise a cross may not fly with politically correct 'one world order, one world religion' free-thinkers, but it's little more than embarrassment that drives such thinking.

The symbol isn't an affirmation of Christianity, it's an affirmation of its history.

EDIT: Found this on Wiki, cuz I was curious:

Quote:
McMaster University was the result of the outgrowth of educational work initiated by Baptists in central Canada as early as the 1830s. Canadian Senator William McMaster, the first president of the Canadian Bank of Commerce, bequeathed funds to endow a university which was incorporated through a merger of Toronto Baptist College and Woodstock College, under the terms of an act of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario in 1887.).
More than likely, the inspiration for putting a cross on the crest.
Old 08-02-2009 at 01:56 PM   #14
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

the cross paid homage to Mac's roots as a baptist institution.

However, in 1957 the school dropped it's religious affiliations, but we still have the original Coat of Arms and shield logo with the cross still existant.

As far as history goes, I don't think that anyone is going to change those logos, so I really don't understand the commotion here.

As for other organizations removing the cross from their logos: none of these organizations identify with any particular religion, nor are they rooted in deep history. If the leaders of these organizations chose to identify with the eagle of McMaster's crest, then that is their decision.

As for organizations like the MSU changing their logo to remove affiliations: I think it is a smart thing. The MSU has thousands of members, and a large number do not subscribe to the Christian faith. To instead parade the cross in front of these members would be ignorant of the demographics.

Instead, there are no religious logos in these groups, and their logos and brands are more attuned with the population they represent.

Taunton likes this.
Old 08-02-2009 at 02:20 PM   #15
Alex McColl

I'm not Christian, but I like the logo the way it is.

Don't worry Chad, I'll make my own thread to discuss my religion. It should be fun.